Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 252

Thread: Plushenko & other Russians comment on the Men's Event

  1. #16
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,068
    Quote Originally Posted by ademption View Post
    Thanks for the link. As I have said in other threads, NBC is really promoting this Cold War mentality between Russia and the United States.
    I agree. NBC will probably lose a hundred million dollars or so on these Olympic Games. They are grasping at any straw to boost ratings. But this Cold War stuff is ridiculous.

    During the medal ceremony they even managed an angled camera shot that made Lysacek seem to tower over Plushenko on the podium (Takahashi was not in the picture.) When it came to "the rocket's red glare" they showed a close-up of Evgeni's face looking sad.

    Booooo.

    Anyway, GO LEONOVA!

  2. #17
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by ademption View Post
    Thanks for the link. As I have said in other threads, NBC is really promoting this Cold War mentality between Russia and the United States. That was even before the free skate. I really wish they would drop it since the Cold War ended 20 years ago. Scotty, Sandra and the rest of the NBC team have outdated, anachronistic views about Russia and it has influenced American media coverage IMHO.

    For one thing, the big news here is that Russia will not contest the results of the competition. There will be no whining from them to get the IOC to have another medal ceremony and award Plushenko a gold. That's the lead here. The rest of the article is just a rehash of Plushenko's undiplomatic comments about his loss and Russian broadcasters fluffing him up to ease his sore wounds.

    In addition, the comments by Russia's sports minister Mutko are also noteworthy:

    That is my favorite quote because it is so true. Evan studied the system over the past few years and mastered it while Plushenko expected to come in (not changing anything) and win. Evan bulit his program around the system, while Plushenko built his program around a jump

  3. #18
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I also said "/or fellow competitors" and he's disrespected Johnny Weir and Jeremy Abbott in the past. I'm truly amazed at how NBC is painting him as some gracious PC hero when he has bad-mouthed Johnny for his personality and tried to taint Jeremy's Nationals win by saying that he gave the championship away to Abbott and how he deserved all 9s for his PCS scores from the judges. Gracious winner, my *** . . . it's all an act and sadly many people seem to be buying Lysacek's every word.
    I think Evan is playing the victim role quite beautifully in this "Cold War" drama orchestrated by NBC. Why should you be surprised that NBC is promoting Evan as the gracious, diplomatic hero? He's part of the Stars on Ice club. NBC commentators shower all their praises on this clique and virtually ignore Stars on Ice non-members. That's how the game works here in the US.

    I'll repeat what I said in another thread. Scotty Hamilton should make it clear in EVERY broadcast that he has a business relationship with Evan, since he is the producer of Stars on Ice. It's a conflict of interest that Scotty gets to comment on a skater that works for him on SOI. This drama is meant to drum up ratings for NBC and business for Stars on Ice. Pure and simple....

    By the way, hasn't Scotty Hamilton said a few times now that Evan Lysacek is the most hard working athlete in the field? How would Scotty know? Has he gone to every rink around the world to compare the training regimen of every skater compared to Evan. Somehow I don't think so.
    Last edited by ademption; 02-20-2010 at 11:34 AM.

  4. #19
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    160
    I would like to say

    America andRussia need to realize figure skating is not all about them

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by ademption View Post
    I think Evan is playing the victim role quite beautifully in this "Cold War" drama orchestrated by NBC. Why should you be surprised that NBC is promoting Evan as the gracious, diplomatic hero? He's part of the Stars on Ice club. NBC commentators shower all their praises on this clique and virtually ignore Stars on Ice non-members. That's how the game works here in the US.

    I'll repeat what I said in another thread. Scotty Hamilton should make it clear in EVERY broadcast that he has a business relationship with Evan, since he is the producer of Stars on Ice. It's a conflict of interest that Scotty gets to comment on a skater that works for him on Stars on Ice. This drama is meant to drum up business for Stars on Ice. Pure and simple....

    By the way, hasn't Scotty Hamilton said a few times now that Evan Lysacek is the most hard working athlete in the field? How would Scotty know? Has he gone to every rink around the world to compare the training regimen of every skater compared to Evan. Somehow I don't think so.
    It has always been none how hard Evan works.... and I think Scott repsects the sport to much to let SOI interfear with his judgement

  6. #21
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by yangjie View Post
    I would like to say

    America andRussia need to realize figure skating is not all about them
    I don't think America is like that. We have had our share of stinkers over the years and some really lean years without a deep field at all. I think most of us who follow the sport understand that the ladies field for example is pretty much dominated by the Japanese and that may end up being the future of the men's field as well. As for ice dance we have every right to be proud of our field because we went a looooong time with the Russians dominating. We may root for our own champions but that doesn't mean we don't appreciate the performances and accomplishments of the athletes from other countries. I am really looking forward to watching Yu Na, and Miki, and Mao in the ladies and wish them all the best of luck. I admit though I would love to see our ice dance couples do well. I was very sorry that Stephan and Dai didn't live up to their potentials ( I would have loved Dai to get the gold)...I was even a little sad for Brian Joubert because I feel like I have watched him grow up on the ice.

  7. #22
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by UM84 View Post
    It has always been none how hard Evan works.... and I think Scott repsects the sport to much to let SOI interfear with his judgement
    I don't quibble Evan's hard work or his mental toughness. I object to Scotty saying that Evan worked harder than his competitors. How is it known how hard Evan works in comparison to other skaters? Have other coaches from various countries compared Evan's regiment to their skaters? Where does this knowlege come from? I really want to know.

  8. #23
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by ademption View Post
    I think Evan is playing the victim role quite beautifully in this "Cold War" drama orchestrated by NBC. Why should you be surprised that NBC is promoting Evan as the gracious, diplomatic hero? He's part of the Stars on Ice club. NBC commentators shower all their praises on this clique and virtually ignore Stars on Ice non-members. That's how the game works here in the US.

    I'll repeat what I said in another thread. Scotty Hamilton should make it clear in EVERY broadcast that he has a business relationship with Evan, since he is the producer of Stars on Ice. It's a conflict of interest that Scotty gets to comment on a skater that works for him on SOI. This drama is meant to drum up ratings for NBC and business for Stars on Ice. Pure and simple....

    By the way, hasn't Scotty Hamilton said a few times now that Evan Lysacek is the most hard working athlete in the field? How would Scotty know? Has he gone to every rink around the world to compare the training regimen of every skater compared to Evan. Somehow I don't think so.
    Some pretty good points and even if they are all true they don't bother me. Scott is Mr Skating in the USA and SOI has produced some pretty good shows over the years.

    Now here is something to consider - is it not possible that NBC has paid Plushy a fair sum of money to act out the "sour grapes" role he played. They did produce the fluff that had Plushy eagerly playing out the role of the "Russian villain."

    Plushy may be laughing all the way to the bank with his pockets full of NBC money.
    To those who think NBC promoting a "cold war" on ice represents a real threat to world peace my suggestion is to go for a long walk, take many deep breaths and then have a big laugh. Figure skating will not lead to WW3

  9. #24
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    452
    Russians are just more direct in their comments. But Americans are more subtle. Dick Button said that Plushenko reminds him of a villain.

  10. #25
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Some pretty good points and even if they are all true they don't bother me. Scott is Mr Skating in the USA and SOI has produced some pretty good shows over the years.

    Now here is something to consider - is it not possible that NBC has paid Plushy a fair sum of money to act out the "sour grapes" role he played. They did produce the fluff that had Plushy eagerly playing out the role of the "Russian villain."

    Plushy may be laughing all the way to the bank with his pockets full of NBC money.
    To those who think NBC promoting a "cold war" on ice represents a real threat to world peace my suggestion is to go for a long walk, take many deep breaths and then have a big laugh. Figure skating will not lead to WW3
    Well..NBC is owned by GE and GE sells weapons to the US Military.....so hmmmm....maybe we can really spin this into a conspiracy theory!

  11. #26
    "Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Storybrooke, Maine
    Posts
    3,674
    Quote Originally Posted by ademption View Post
    I think Evan is playing the victim role quite beautifully in this "Cold War" drama orchestrated by NBC. Why should you be surprised that NBC is promoting Evan as the gracious, diplomatic hero? He's part of the Stars on Ice club. NBC commentators shower all their praises on this clique and virtually ignore Stars on Ice non-members. That's how the game works here in the US.

    I'll repeat what I said in another thread. Scotty Hamilton should make it clear in EVERY broadcast that he has a business relationship with Evan, since he is the producer of Stars on Ice. It's a conflict of interest that Scotty gets to comment on a skater that works for him on SOI. This drama is meant to drum up ratings for NBC and business for Stars on Ice. Pure and simple....

    By the way, hasn't Scotty Hamilton said a few times now that Evan Lysacek is the most hard working athlete in the field? How would Scotty know? Has he gone to every rink around the world to compare the training regimen of every skater compared to Evan. Somehow I don't think so.
    Exactly my point and you expressed it wonderfully. Hamilton is so biased, it's beyond sickening. If I didn't love my favorite skaters so much, I'd have long ago thrown my tv out of my living room window.

  12. #27
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by ademption View Post
    I don't quibble Evan's hard work or his mental toughness. I object to Scotty saying that Evan worked harder than his competitors. How is it known how hard Evan works in comparison to other skaters? Have other coaches from various countries compared Evan's regiment to their skaters? Where does this knowlege come from? I really want to know.
    Becuase skating does not come as easy to Evan as it does for others, he has to work extra to keep up with everyone

  13. #28
    Worshipping at the temple of Severus Snape Alatariel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Some pretty good points and even if they are all true they don't bother me. Scott is Mr Skating in the USA and SOI has produced some pretty good shows over the years.

    Now here is something to consider - is it not possible that NBC has paid Plushy a fair sum of money to act out the "sour grapes" role he played. They did produce the fluff that had Plushy eagerly playing out the role of the "Russian villain."

    Plushy may be laughing all the way to the bank with his pockets full of NBC money.
    To those who think NBC promoting a "cold war" on ice represents a real threat to world peace my suggestion is to go for a long walk, take many deep breaths and then have a big laugh. Figure skating will not lead to WW3
    The nonsense I sometimes read here never stops to astound me.

    So when people present certain irrefutable facts you go on to say that well, maybe it's possible ... smear the Russian some more ... and some more ... and some more ... *sigh*

  14. #29
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by UM84 View Post
    Becuase skating does not come as easy to Evan as it does for others, he has to work extra to keep up with everyone
    Again, I ask how do you know this? How are you quantifying what Evan's challenges are compared to other skaters? What is your basis for this "fact" that Evan works harder than other skaters?

  15. #30
    Worshipping at the temple of Severus Snape Alatariel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by ademption View Post
    Again, I ask how do you know this? How are you quantifying what Evan's challenges are compared to other skaters? What is your basis for this "fact" that Evan works harder than other skaters?
    Evan is from the US and so is UM84 who has been defending Evan's 'honour and perfection' for a while now here...

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •