Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Plushenko & other Russians comment on the Men's Event

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuusik View Post
    Disgusting? You call the fact that he is saying what he is thinking disgusting?
    What I call disgusting is the attitude of the mass replying to this.
    It is not the fact that he is saying what he is thinking, it is what he is thinking that is distasteful. Perhaps I meant to say distastefull. Maybe that got lost in translation to english.
    Last edited by gfskater; 02-20-2010 at 06:17 PM.

Worshipping at the temple of Severus Snape Alatariel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Takahashi actually earned the highest PCS of the night in the LP with 84.50 and Lambiel was second highest with 83.60. Had Dai played it safe like Evan, he would be Olympic champion. Daisuke has got to be kicking himself in the aftermath of it all. Why did he have to try that quad . . . it ruined everything for him.
    It's what separates the men like Daisuke from the mediocre drones like Lysacek - Dai is a true champion (something Plushenko commented on as well) who went for being the best he could be, at the most risk filled moment, with an element that he knew he would most probably not succeed in doing. Now that is what a true champion does. This is what is truly disgusting in this sport today and not the nonsense some other posters are mentioning - mediocrity is never progress and yet it is being hailed!

I think that Dai actually prefers his bronze than the gold he would have gotten by being a little wimp like Lysacek. It simply would not have been gold to him if earned that way.

Some posters here just don't get it - it's not just about the victory it's the journey to that victory too. This is what separates the true masters of their craft who are remembered and those who just fade away. This is also why we sometimes remember those who lost while those who won are quickly erased.

On the Ice
    In addition to double-standards it seems to me, the picture being painted right now is a BIT too dramatic. I mean (a stupid idea) surely there is more to him than "winning titles and spinning four times in the air." Plushenko's off ice behaviour has never before been really criticized. May it be that his criticism against the judging is a bitter pill to swallow for a nation that has benefited from it in recent years?

As for the comments...
    I read a few pages of them and though I already had developed a biased opinion on americans, that took the cake.
    Where do they come from?

A thought on mediocrity... isn't it really hailed everywhere nowadays? Shame it has crept into sport as well.

Custom Title
    I agree that mediocrity is being hailed - I just think it's a title that Plushenko's skate well earned. And this is what I don't get.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gfskater View Post
    It is not the fact that he is saying what he is thinking, it is what he is thinking that is distateful. Perhaps I meant to say distatefull. Maybe that got lost in translation to english.
    Or maybe the correct word is embarrising, objectionable, offensive, odious, abhorrent...

I am not quite sure what the correct word is. His behavior reminds me of the golfer that throws his club after missing a put. To say that Evan skated a 20 year old program and did not deserve the win! To say that Evan won because the Skating industrial complex needed an american hero!

I suggest that Evgeni should go back and read the rules, develop a program that can win, and practice it before his next competition.
    Last edited by gfskater; 02-20-2010 at 06:18 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alatariel View Post
    It's what separates the men like Daisuke from the mediocre drones like Lysacek - Dai is a true champion (something Plushenko commented on as well) who went for being the best he could be, at the most risk filled moment, with an element that he knew he would most probably not succeed in doing. Now that is what a true champion does. This is what is truly disgusting in this sport today and not the nonsense some other posters are mentioning - mediocrity is never progress and yet it is being hailed!

I think that Dai actually prefers his bronze than the gold he would have gotten by being a little wimp like Lysacek. It simply would not have been gold to him if earned that way.

Some posters here just don't get it - it's not just about the victory it's the journey to that victory too. This is what separates the true masters of their craft who are remembered and those who just fade away. This is also why we sometimes remember those who lost while those who won are quickly erased.
    So you think they should be awarded points for their journey? That's insulting because I daresay every single skater up there has had a long and arduous journey. Plushenko did not skate masterfully. If he had, he would have won. The scores were so close it could have gone either way but it didn't. Take it up with the judges.

Quote Originally Posted by Justafan View Post
    So you think they should be awarded points for their journey? That's insulting because I daresay every single skater up there has had a long and arduous journey. Plushenko did not skate masterfully. If he had, he would have won. The scores were so close it could have gone either way but it didn't. Take it up with the judges.
    Why is it difficult to read what I have written?!

Please put in bold where I said that they should be awarded points for something they try and fail to do. It's really utterly ridiculous how you take something out of context and just spin it the way you want. Re-read what I wrote again if you want an actual conversation, otherwise spare me the nonsense.

Ya'll just need to ignore it. aftertherain's Avatar
    So, I wake up this morning ... to find that the number of separate, but related threads have doubled.

That ... is unfortunate.

Custom Title

Yeah... If that implies that Plushenko is a master of his craft, think again. If his craft is figure skating, he should know about his craft, how to create a program that can earn points under the scoring system of the said craft.

How can you be a master of a craft if you do not understand how that craft works?

Custom Title
    Why is it difficult to read what I have written?!

Please put in bold where I said that they should be awarded points for something they try and fail to do. It's really utterly ridiculous how you take something out of context and just spin it the way you want. Re-read what I wrote again if you want an actual conversation, otherwise spare me the nonsense.
    Chill out...that's how it read to me.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
    Yeah... If that implies that Plushenko is a master of his craft, think again. If his craft is figure skating, he should know about his craft, how to create a program that can earn points under the scoring system of the said craft.

How can you be a master of a craft if you do not understand how that craft works?
    Well said. His coach should have known the rules and created a progam that would score the points. For start, how about doing the number of jumps you are allowed to do 12 instead of the 11 he did.

I really do not see what the controversy is about. If Plushenko had skated better he would have won. He didn't, and that mediocre drone twit Lysacek won instead.

The Original dance starts in an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I really do not see what the controversy is about. If Plushenko had skated better he would have won. He didn't, and that mediocre drone twit Lysacek won instead.

The Original dance starts in an hour.
    Original dance is tomorrow. Or have I lost it completely?

On the Ice
    Originally Posted by gfskater
    For start, how about doing the number of jumps you are allowed to do 12 instead of the 11 he did.
    Exactly right. It's like the marathon runner who finishes at the wrong location and says "But I would have been first!!". Get the rules straight. And check your hubris at the door - don't do just what you think you "need".... do everything! Interesting that he did not do all the triples he was alotted..... I didn't notice that.. I was distracted by the jerking of his body in the middle of his footwork, and his severe spasm at the end of the footwork to notice.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by nastasi1212 View Post
    "Tango has no pelvic gyrations"

You obviously have never danced the tango
    Um, I've danced tango, lots of Tango: International, American and Argentine. And no, tango does not have pelvic gyrations. Tango is by its nature a walking dance, and pelvic gyrations go against the nature of the dance.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast