Plushenko & other Russians comment on the Men's Event | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Plushenko & other Russians comment on the Men's Event

Justafan

On the Ice
I would like to say

America andRussia need to realize figure skating is not all about them

I don't think America is like that. We have had our share of stinkers over the years and some really lean years without a deep field at all. I think most of us who follow the sport understand that the ladies field for example is pretty much dominated by the Japanese and that may end up being the future of the men's field as well. As for ice dance we have every right to be proud of our field because we went a looooong time with the Russians dominating. We may root for our own champions but that doesn't mean we don't appreciate the performances and accomplishments of the athletes from other countries. I am really looking forward to watching Yu Na, and Miki, and Mao in the ladies and wish them all the best of luck. I admit though I would love to see our ice dance couples do well. I was very sorry that Stephan and Dai didn't live up to their potentials ( I would have loved Dai to get the gold)...I was even a little sad for Brian Joubert because I feel like I have watched him grow up on the ice.

ademption

Rinkside
It has always been none how hard Evan works.... and I think Scott repsects the sport to much to let SOI interfear with his judgement

I don't quibble Evan's hard work or his mental toughness. I object to Scotty saying that Evan worked harder than his competitors. How is it known how hard Evan works in comparison to other skaters? Have other coaches from various countries compared Evan's regiment to their skaters? Where does this knowlege come from? I really want to know.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think Evan is playing the victim role quite beautifully in this "Cold War" drama orchestrated by NBC. Why should you be surprised that NBC is promoting Evan as the gracious, diplomatic hero? He's part of the Stars on Ice club. NBC commentators shower all their praises on this clique and virtually ignore Stars on Ice non-members. That's how the game works here in the US.

I'll repeat what I said in another thread. Scotty Hamilton should make it clear in EVERY broadcast that he has a business relationship with Evan, since he is the producer of Stars on Ice. It's a conflict of interest that Scotty gets to comment on a skater that works for him on SOI. This drama is meant to drum up ratings for NBC and business for Stars on Ice. Pure and simple....

By the way, hasn't Scotty Hamilton said a few times now that Evan Lysacek is the most hard working athlete in the field? How would Scotty know? Has he gone to every rink around the world to compare the training regimen of every skater compared to Evan. Somehow I don't think so.

Some pretty good points and even if they are all true they don't bother me. Scott is Mr Skating in the USA and SOI has produced some pretty good shows over the years.

Now here is something to consider - is it not possible that NBC has paid Plushy a fair sum of money to act out the "sour grapes" role he played. They did produce the fluff that had Plushy eagerly playing out the role of the "Russian villain."

Plushy may be laughing all the way to the bank with his pockets full of NBC money.
To those who think NBC promoting a "cold war" on ice represents a real threat to world peace my suggestion is to go for a long walk, take many deep breaths and then have a big laugh. Figure skating will not lead to WW3 :laugh:

volk

Final Flight
Russians are just more direct in their comments. But Americans are more subtle. Dick Button said that Plushenko reminds him of a villain.

Justafan

On the Ice
Some pretty good points and even if they are all true they don't bother me. Scott is Mr Skating in the USA and SOI has produced some pretty good shows over the years.

Now here is something to consider - is it not possible that NBC has paid Plushy a fair sum of money to act out the "sour grapes" role he played. They did produce the fluff that had Plushy eagerly playing out the role of the "Russian villain."

Plushy may be laughing all the way to the bank with his pockets full of NBC money.
To those who think NBC promoting a "cold war" on ice represents a real threat to world peace my suggestion is to go for a long walk, take many deep breaths and then have a big laugh. Figure skating will not lead to WW3 :laugh:

Well..NBC is owned by GE and GE sells weapons to the US Military.....so hmmmm....maybe we can really spin this into a conspiracy theory!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Evan is playing the victim role quite beautifully in this "Cold War" drama orchestrated by NBC. Why should you be surprised that NBC is promoting Evan as the gracious, diplomatic hero? He's part of the Stars on Ice club. NBC commentators shower all their praises on this clique and virtually ignore Stars on Ice non-members. That's how the game works here in the US.

I'll repeat what I said in another thread. Scotty Hamilton should make it clear in EVERY broadcast that he has a business relationship with Evan, since he is the producer of Stars on Ice. It's a conflict of interest that Scotty gets to comment on a skater that works for him on SOI. This drama is meant to drum up ratings for NBC and business for Stars on Ice. Pure and simple....

By the way, hasn't Scotty Hamilton said a few times now that Evan Lysacek is the most hard working athlete in the field? How would Scotty know? Has he gone to every rink around the world to compare the training regimen of every skater compared to Evan. Somehow I don't think so.

Exactly my point and you expressed it wonderfully. Hamilton is so biased, it's beyond sickening. If I didn't love my favorite skaters so much, I'd have long ago thrown my tv out of my living room window.

UM84

On the Ice
I don't quibble Evan's hard work or his mental toughness. I object to Scotty saying that Evan worked harder than his competitors. How is it known how hard Evan works in comparison to other skaters? Have other coaches from various countries compared Evan's regiment to their skaters? Where does this knowlege come from? I really want to know.

Becuase skating does not come as easy to Evan as it does for others, he has to work extra to keep up with everyone

Alatariel

On the Ice

The nonsense I sometimes read here never stops to astound me.

So when people present certain irrefutable facts you go on to say that well, maybe it's possible ... smear the Russian some more ... and some more ... and some more ... *sigh*

ademption

Rinkside
Becuase skating does not come as easy to Evan as it does for others, he has to work extra to keep up with everyone

Again, I ask how do you know this? How are you quantifying what Evan's challenges are compared to other skaters? What is your basis for this "fact" that Evan works harder than other skaters?

Alatariel

On the Ice
Again, I ask how do you know this? How are you quantifying what Evan's challenges are compared to other skaters? What is your basis for this "fact" that Evan works harder than other skaters?

Evan is from the US and so is UM84 who has been defending Evan's 'honour and perfection' for a while now here...

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The point I'm trying to make is the hypocrisy of it all! We're fabled into wanting to think and believe that the Olympic Games is about the world coming together to promote good will and competitive, good natured sportsmanship and then I have to watch certain buffoons promote cold war trash on my tv screen. Which is it? Are the Games about all of us coming together or dividing us all? . . . we're receiving mixed signals here and I don't like it. If you're going to point out every other nation's/continent's show of bad sportsmanship, then you better equally show the bad sportsmanship of your own athletes too. I'm sick of this one-sided bullsh!t because that's certainly not how it really is! :scowl:

Justafan

On the Ice
Maybe we should stop sniping at each other and the athletes and snipe at the obviously still political judging system that CoP was supposed to eliminate.

UM84

On the Ice
Evan is from the US and so is UM84 who has been defending Evan's 'honour and perfection' for a while now here...

I'm not Evans biggest supporter by any means (I like Johnny) but I don't think it's right people are tarnishing his gold when they shouldn't be.

janetfan

Match Penalty

Evan may be the new King and Olympic champion but I haven't read many posts claiming he is the world's greatest skater. So what is left - the "hardest working" line seems to fit and did you ever consider for a minute that is the best way to explain his WC, GPF Title and now OGM?

Alatariel

On the Ice
Well, I'm an American. So I just want to make it clear to you that not all Americans feel that way.

I am not saying it's all Americans.

I claim the system as a whole is bs. 'Everybody' is all about sportsmanship except when it's 'their' athletes and then they are entitled to certain things. Now I don't really have a problem with this honestly. People are not perfect beings, we are far from the evolved philanthropists and idealists we like to portray ourselves as, and it is how it is.

What irks me is this - if you want to play the Game, then accept that the others will get their own back. Simple. Nobody is this perfect ideal human being here. Trying to hold the moral high ground is just hypocritical. So either we make it fair for everyone - won't happen - or you swallow the bs when your turn comes. Simple. I get annoyed at people like UM84 precisely for the holier than thou attitudes.

UM84

On the Ice
I am not saying it's all Americans.

I claim the system as a whole is bs. 'Everybody' is all about sportsmanship except when it's 'their' athletes and then they are entitled to certain things. Now I don't really have a problem with this honestly. People are not perfect beings, we are far from the evolved philanthropists and idealists we like to portray ourselves as, and it is how it is.

What irks me is this - if you want to play the Game, then accept that the others will get their own back. Simple. Nobody is this perfect ideal human being here. Trying to hold the moral high ground is just hypocritical. So either we make it fair for everyone - won't happen - or you swallow the bs when your turn comes. Simple. I get annoyed at people like UM84 precisely for the holier than thou attitudes.

Will everyone is acting as if Plushenko is perfect, and it is "impossible" for him to lose. As I said above, I could give a rats *** about Evan, I just wish people would respect him as the champion.

Nadine

Record Breaker
All's I know is that after watching both Scott Hamilton & Dick Button on NBC last night, I will no longer support SOI, which means I will no longer attend any of their shows. Hopefully that will change one day in the future. But, for now, no.

I've had enough of Scott, and though I'm sorry to see that he looks very very ill (is he alright? seriously, does anybody know if he is ill?), I just can't do it. Anything associated with him makes me uneasy at this point in time.

Neither of these two can honestly hold a candle to Evgeni. And not just in medals (Evgeni is second only to Gillis Grafstrom when it comes to all-time medals won at the Olympics, nobody else comes close). And compared to Scott, Evgeni won ALL his Olympic medals with brilliant free skates, unlike Scott whom is literally the Trixie Schuba of mens figure skating. His free skate was a disaster, popped & singled jumps, not even a 3A, which the other medalist did. Everybody knows Scott Hamilton won his Olympic Gold Medal due to his figures; he was so far ahead of the field in figures that it didn't matter he imploded in the free skate.

I only bring this up because of their mutual bashing of Evgeni Plushenko. Jealous is all, pure jealousy. At least Evan didn't engage in this bashfest. For this he has my respect.

Now here is something to consider - is it not possible that NBC has paid Plushy a fair sum of money to act out the "sour grapes" role he played....

Plushy may be laughing all the way to the bank with his pockets full of NBC money....

:rofl: We have a winner in the "post of the thread" contest. :agree:

I hope that's true! It would make my day if Plushenko came out next week and said, "ha ha suckers -- what? you never heard of "reality" TV?"

Alatariel

On the Ice
Will everyone is acting as if Plushenko is perfect, and it is "impossible" for him to lose. As I said above, I could give a rats *** about Evan, I just wish people would respect him as the champion.

Why should we? Is there something that says automatically - champions deserve respect regardless how they came by the title? I think not.

And Plushenko is far from perfect. You can go back to one of those monster threads on men's LP and find my comment - he lost it all by himself in a way by not doing more in the technical part, ie the second quad. He had to know that the Game was not being played in his favour and he didn't do it. Don't know why obviously, but I think he's too old and simply can't do two quads any more with enough certainty of success. That though does not negate all other issues.