Plushenko & other Russians comment on the Men's Event | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Plushenko & other Russians comment on the Men's Event

watchvancouver

Match Penalty
Now my respect for Plushenko just went away again. Plushenko is so full of himself it is disgusting. He really is arrogant.

He is arrogant because he does have the goodies - quads. Boys need to start landing quads before they feign their 'outrage' over Plushenko's 'unsportsmanship'.

Quadless world and Olympic champions won't get much respect in figure skating history. Who still remembers Jeffrey Buttle?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Who still remembers Jeffrey Buttle?

well obviously you do or you'd not mention him by name ;) and I certainly do

only those with incredibly bad memories would have a hard time remembering a skater who's only been retired for a couple of years.

Alatariel

On the Ice
Nothing disgusting about it. What an odd thing to say. I was expecting he'd said who knows what.

Though the comments could be called disgusting, I just glanced and well ...

Oh yes, btw, what on earth does the - I hope the women are better behaved - mean?! It could be construed that you just said something rather disgusting...

Last edited:

gfskater

On the Ice
He is arrogant because he does have the goodies - quads. Boys need to start landing quads before they feign their 'outrage' over Plushenko's 'unsportsmanship'.

Quadless world and Olympic champions won't get much respect in figure skating history. Who still remembers Jeffrey Buttle?

Plushenko was handsomely rewarded for doing a quad! He received the points for the quad and was even given a bonus for that jump. The problem for him is that there are 12 jumps in freeskate program not just one! Add up the rest of the points and he looses.

edge31

Rinkside
I've seen some really good ideas here.
I have to say it's important to note that EVERY country roots for their athletes when they comment during the performances. I am an American who lives in Europe now and it is the same here as in the states as far as the enthusiasm for their countrymen. One expects that during the Olympics.
What I don't like is the overt favoritism of a Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic. I do not enjoy listening to them broadcast a competition. To be honest I miss Dick Button in his heydey years. I think he was quite objective and fair. He likes good skating, no matter who it is. He will tell you what he really thinks - American, European, Asian, etc. It doesn't matter.
As far as the Russians and Americans, well we are both historically powerhouse nations in skating that continue dominance and top 10 finishes (this year all 3 americans). Of COURSE we have attitudes because of this. it's just all smack-talk like any sport. it adds spice! :)

They can say whatever they like about each other, but just like Debi Thomas got criticism for not shaking KW's hand at the podium, and Surya refusing to take her silver medal in 1993, I think it was a little bit wrong that Plushenko went up to the 1st place spot on the podium. It was an obvious slight and not the place to do it. The results were in. If you don't plan on filing a formal petition, then take your medal graciously and move on. Sometimes the system works in your favor and sometimes it doesn't. It all is a wash at the end of the day, on the whole.

Smuusik

Rinkside
Disgusting? You call the fact that he is saying what he is thinking disgusting?
What I call disgusting is the attitude of the mass replying to this.

Alatariel

On the Ice

Did you see those comments?! :scowl: I just glanced at the first page and clicked x. Dear lord. Not a good advertisement for the Americans.

Tigger

Final Flight
Your thread title is disgusting!

No, it's dead on!!

Only someone as arrogant as Plushy would say in an interview that his spins and footwork were good. I don't think so...

Some friends of mine have always wondered why I don't call either him or Elvis "champions". Well, there's more to being a Champion than winning titles and spinning four times in the air. There's also your off ice behaviour. These same friends of mine, they've all contacted me over the last 48 hrs to say they now understand why I call the two of them many times over World Title Holders, and in Plushy's case, Olympic Title Holder.

The sad thing is, they truly believe what they're saying is true. They don't realize the crap they're slinging is giving the sport a blacker eye than anything that happened the other night.

gfskater

On the Ice

It is not the fact that he is saying what he is thinking, it is what he is thinking that is distasteful. Perhaps I meant to say distastefull. Maybe that got lost in translation to english.

Last edited:

Alatariel

On the Ice
Takahashi actually earned the highest PCS of the night in the LP with 84.50 and Lambiel was second highest with 83.60. Had Dai played it safe like Evan, he would be Olympic champion. Daisuke has got to be kicking himself in the aftermath of it all. Why did he have to try that quad . . . it ruined everything for him.

It's what separates the men like Daisuke from the mediocre drones like Lysacek - Dai is a true champion (something Plushenko commented on as well) who went for being the best he could be, at the most risk filled moment, with an element that he knew he would most probably not succeed in doing. Now that is what a true champion does. This is what is truly disgusting in this sport today and not the nonsense some other posters are mentioning - mediocrity is never progress and yet it is being hailed!

I think that Dai actually prefers his bronze than the gold he would have gotten by being a little wimp like Lysacek. It simply would not have been gold to him if earned that way.

Some posters here just don't get it - it's not just about the victory it's the journey to that victory too. This is what separates the true masters of their craft who are remembered and those who just fade away. This is also why we sometimes remember those who lost while those who won are quickly erased.

Smuusik

Rinkside
In addition to double-standards it seems to me, the picture being painted right now is a BIT too dramatic. I mean (a stupid idea) surely there is more to him than "winning titles and spinning four times in the air." Plushenko's off ice behaviour has never before been really criticized. May it be that his criticism against the judging is a bitter pill to swallow for a nation that has benefited from it in recent years?

As for the comments...
I read a few pages of them and though I already had developed a biased opinion on americans, that took the cake.
Where do they come from?

A thought on mediocrity... isn't it really hailed everywhere nowadays? Shame it has crept into sport as well.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I agree that mediocrity is being hailed - I just think it's a title that Plushenko's skate well earned. And this is what I don't get.

gfskater

On the Ice
It is not the fact that he is saying what he is thinking, it is what he is thinking that is distateful. Perhaps I meant to say distatefull. Maybe that got lost in translation to english.

Or maybe the correct word is embarrising, objectionable, offensive, odious, abhorrent...

I am not quite sure what the correct word is. His behavior reminds me of the golfer that throws his club after missing a put. To say that Evan skated a 20 year old program and did not deserve the win! To say that Evan won because the Skating industrial complex needed an american hero!

I suggest that Evgeni should go back and read the rules, develop a program that can win, and practice it before his next competition.

Last edited:

Justafan

On the Ice
It's what separates the men like Daisuke from the mediocre drones like Lysacek - Dai is a true champion (something Plushenko commented on as well) who went for being the best he could be, at the most risk filled moment, with an element that he knew he would most probably not succeed in doing. Now that is what a true champion does. This is what is truly disgusting in this sport today and not the nonsense some other posters are mentioning - mediocrity is never progress and yet it is being hailed!

I think that Dai actually prefers his bronze than the gold he would have gotten by being a little wimp like Lysacek. It simply would not have been gold to him if earned that way.

Some posters here just don't get it - it's not just about the victory it's the journey to that victory too. This is what separates the true masters of their craft who are remembered and those who just fade away. This is also why we sometimes remember those who lost while those who won are quickly erased.

So you think they should be awarded points for their journey? That's insulting because I daresay every single skater up there has had a long and arduous journey. Plushenko did not skate masterfully. If he had, he would have won. The scores were so close it could have gone either way but it didn't. Take it up with the judges.

Alatariel

On the Ice
So you think they should be awarded points for their journey? That's insulting because I daresay every single skater up there has had a long and arduous journey. Plushenko did not skate masterfully. If he had, he would have won. The scores were so close it could have gone either way but it didn't. Take it up with the judges.

Why is it difficult to read what I have written?!

Please put in bold where I said that they should be awarded points for something they try and fail to do. It's really utterly ridiculous how you take something out of context and just spin it the way you want. Re-read what I wrote again if you want an actual conversation, otherwise spare me the nonsense.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
So, I wake up this morning ... to find that the number of separate, but related threads have doubled.

That ... is unfortunate.

BigJohn

On the Ice

Yeah... If that implies that Plushenko is a master of his craft, think again. If his craft is figure skating, he should know about his craft, how to create a program that can earn points under the scoring system of the said craft.

How can you be a master of a craft if you do not understand how that craft works?

Justafan

On the Ice
Why is it difficult to read what I have written?!

Please put in bold where I said that they should be awarded points for something they try and fail to do. It's really utterly ridiculous how you take something out of context and just spin it the way you want. Re-read what I wrote again if you want an actual conversation, otherwise spare me the nonsense.

Chill out...that's how it read to me.