Plushenko & other Russians comment on the Men's Event | Golden Skate

Plushenko & other Russians comment on the Men's Event

UM84

On the Ice
I have merged all threads commenting on interviews by Russian skaters or officials on the men's event into this thread. This was done because the discussion had split into 4 or 5 different threads, making the board too fragmented. Doris P

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-features/news/newsid=430590.html?__source=msnhomepage&cid=

I mean Plushenko is not the only good skater in the world.I find it funny how when they win (Torino) you here nothing from them. The problem is they are not doing well this Olympics and Plushenko was someone they felt was a lock for gold for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yeah, I'm curious to see how Leonova and Makarova fair next week. Russia seems to think Leonova is the next Slutskaya and a medal contender but I'd say that's a stretch. You never know though.

UM84

On the Ice
Yeah, I'm curious to see how Leonova and Makarova fair next week. Russia seems to think Leonova is the next Slutskaya and a medal contender but I'd say that's a stretch. You never know though.

It just make me mad they have no respect for other skaters

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Many North Americans need to do the same!

It just make me mad they have no respect for other skaters

:scowl: Riiiiiiiight, because Scott Hamilton, Sandra Bezic, Tom Hammond, Elvis Stojko, Jamie Sale, Patrick Chan, and Evan Lysacek have always respected skaters of all nationalities and/or their fellow competitors. :rolleye: Give me a break!

Last edited:

Alatariel

On the Ice
And the US and Canadians have so much respect for other skaters, it's amazing! I can't believe how respectful they are! Wow! :laugh: :rolleye:

If just everyone figured it out, then we would be talking about a whole different game. But everyone thinks they are entitled when it comes to themselves. It was like this, it is like this ... doubt it'll change any time soon.

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
no it isn't however-when a western judge points out a skaters faults and ignores the other skaters faults or the skaters good points-it goes beyond helping into cheating and telling other judges to vote or give higher goes scores in jumps, spins, spirals, foot sequence than other skaters. it tell them how to judge regardless of skate.
point is evgeny won jumps with a 63.77 and evan 2nd in 63.47; johnny 3rd 61.
but the transititions, spins, spirals sequence which was pointed out ahead of time in email by us judge, and canada and italy judges is this
stephane 1st 22.60, patrick 2nd 22.10; evan 3rd 21.10; daisuke 4th 19.90; evgeny 6th 18.94; jeremey 7th 18.50; nobunari 8th 18.30; johnny 9th 17.96
it throws a hole another light on subject,
i am sure evan won; however due to before hand knowledge of calling out of skaters mistakes or specifically watch for lack of certain skaters artistic scores it calls into question whether the judges would have caught it or not or would the judges making sure they wanted only certain skaters to win medals. ahead of time. did they tell the other judges quietly who would get medals regardless of skate.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Many North Americans need to do the same!

:scowl: Riiiiiiiight, because Scott Hamilton, Sandra Bezic, Tom Hammond, Elvis Stojko, Jamie Sale, Patrick Chan, and Evan Lysacek have always respected skaters of all nationalities.

Scott, Sandra, and Tom LOVE Patrick Chan, who's Canadian and Asian so I don't think that's a fair claim.

UM84

On the Ice
And the US and Canadians have so much respect for other skaters, it's amazing! I can't believe how respectful they are! Wow! :laugh: :rolleye:

If just everyone figured it out, then we would be talking about a whole different game. But everyone thinks they are entitled when it comes to themselves. It was like this, it is like this ... doubt it'll change any time soon.

Name one US skater who has went on a rant like Plushenko attacking the champion

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wait, when did Evan disrespect a skater of another nationality?

I also said "/or fellow competitors" and he's disrespected Johnny Weir and Jeremy Abbott in the past. I'm truly amazed at how NBC is painting him as some gracious PC hero when he has bad-mouthed Johnny for his personality and tried to taint Jeremy's Nationals win by saying that he gave the championship away to Abbott and how he deserved all 9s for his PCS scores from the judges. Gracious winner, my *** . . . it's all an act and sadly many people seem to be buying Lysacek's every word.

Last edited:

screech

Final Flight
"Of all the men who had competed tonight, only two -- myself and (Japan's) Takahiko Kozuka (who finished eighth) -- were able to land a clean quad.
Um, what about Verner and Schultheiss? They both did quads (and both got +GOE). Check what everyone else did before you comment, Plush!

ademption

Rinkside
Thanks for the link. As I have said in other threads, NBC is really promoting this Cold War mentality between Russia and the United States. That was even before the free skate. I really wish they would drop it since the Cold War ended 20 years ago. Scotty, Sandra and the rest of the NBC team have outdated, anachronistic views about Russia and it has influenced American media coverage IMHO.

For one thing, the big news here is that Russia will not contest the results of the competition. There will be no whining from them to get the IOC to have another medal ceremony and award Plushenko a gold. That's the lead here. The rest of the article is just a rehash of Plushenko's undiplomatic comments about his loss and Russian broadcasters fluffing him up to ease his sore wounds.

In addition, the comments by Russia's sports minister Mutko are also noteworthy:

“Judging is an eternal problem. But, the system of judging is the way it is, and one has to fit into it, instead of criticizing it,” said Mutko.

“What is there to dispute? Things like that do not warrant issuing protests,” he added

Isn't that what Lysacek's defenders have been saying since the free skate? That Plushenko should have worked the system better?

I find it curious that NBC all of a sudden reports on what Russian broadcasters said about Plushenko's loss, when most of the time they could care less about the world's hometown views of non-North Americans. This is simply propaganda and I refuse to allow NBC to influence me in that manner.

I guess NBC decided not to go for the rah-rah jingoistic coverage of figure skating like they have in other competitions. Instead they have decided to go for the Cold War angle. It's rather boring and trite for someone like me who neither enjoys the jingoism or the hyping of this Cold War rivalry. Oh, well, I'm guessing that NBC thinks controversy is good for ratings.

This drama is overhyped IMHO. Hopefully, the American's coverage of the Cold War crap at these Olympics will end with this latest stament by Russian officials that they have no intention of contesting the standing.

At the end of the day, Evan has his gold. After this event, will anyone care about this drama? I don't think so....

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think the Russians are having a particularly hard time dealing with the fact that their style of skating and choreography has gone out of fashion. Russian choreo was the rage in the 90's and up until the CoP era. There can be little doubt the new style and center of the skating world has shifted to Canada.

Just watch what Lori did for Evan and what "Rasputin" :)laugh: sorry I don't know his real name) did for Plushy. One has a State of The Art program and the other is mired in the 90's.

I believe we will see Yuna's choreo done by Wilson outshine Mao's program from Tat.

And you better believe that if Joannie nails her programs she will outscore the Morozov choreo that Miki will be skating to.

Of course the skaters still have to perform and Yuna and Joannie will not win medals unless they perform at the top of their respective games. But their programs are the most CoP friendly.

I feel as great as Mao can be her program is not as CoP friendly as Yuna's program.
This is part of what we saw with Plushy. He had very limited choreo and his program was based on him outjumping everybody - or as Plushy himself said, "they will all be shaking in their boots."

I guess someone forgot to tell Evan, Dai and a few others they were supposed to be too scared to skate their best.

Sorry, but CoP demands a better strategy than simply thinking your competitiors will freeze up and hand you the OGM.

Thanks for the link. As I have said in other threads, NBC is really promoting this Cold War mentality between Russia and the United States.

I agree. NBC will probably lose a hundred million dollars or so on these Olympic Games. They are grasping at any straw to boost ratings. But this Cold War stuff is ridiculous.

During the medal ceremony they even managed an angled camera shot that made Lysacek seem to tower over Plushenko on the podium (Takahashi was not in the picture.) When it came to "the rocket's red glare" they showed a close-up of Evgeni's face looking sad.

Booooo. :disagree:

Anyway, GO LEONOVA! :yes:

UM84

On the Ice
Thanks for the link. As I have said in other threads, NBC is really promoting this Cold War mentality between Russia and the United States. That was even before the free skate. I really wish they would drop it since the Cold War ended 20 years ago. Scotty, Sandra and the rest of the NBC team have outdated, anachronistic views about Russia and it has influenced American media coverage IMHO.

For one thing, the big news here is that Russia will not contest the results of the competition. There will be no whining from them to get the IOC to have another medal ceremony and award Plushenko a gold. That's the lead here. The rest of the article is just a rehash of Plushenko's undiplomatic comments about his loss and Russian broadcasters fluffing him up to ease his sore wounds.

In addition, the comments by Russia's sports minister Mutko are also noteworthy:

That is my favorite quote because it is so true. Evan studied the system over the past few years and mastered it while Plushenko expected to come in (not changing anything) and win. Evan bulit his program around the system, while Plushenko built his program around a jump

ademption

Rinkside
I also said "/or fellow competitors" and he's disrespected Johnny Weir and Jeremy Abbott in the past. I'm truly amazed at how NBC is painting him as some gracious PC hero when he has bad-mouthed Johnny for his personality and tried to taint Jeremy's Nationals win by saying that he gave the championship away to Abbott and how he deserved all 9s for his PCS scores from the judges. Gracious winner, my *** . . . it's all an act and sadly many people seem to be buying Lysacek's every word.

I think Evan is playing the victim role quite beautifully in this "Cold War" drama orchestrated by NBC. Why should you be surprised that NBC is promoting Evan as the gracious, diplomatic hero? He's part of the Stars on Ice club. NBC commentators shower all their praises on this clique and virtually ignore Stars on Ice non-members. That's how the game works here in the US.

I'll repeat what I said in another thread. Scotty Hamilton should make it clear in EVERY broadcast that he has a business relationship with Evan, since he is the producer of Stars on Ice. It's a conflict of interest that Scotty gets to comment on a skater that works for him on SOI. This drama is meant to drum up ratings for NBC and business for Stars on Ice. Pure and simple....

By the way, hasn't Scotty Hamilton said a few times now that Evan Lysacek is the most hard working athlete in the field? How would Scotty know? Has he gone to every rink around the world to compare the training regimen of every skater compared to Evan. Somehow I don't think so.

Last edited:

yangjie

On the Ice
I would like to say

America andRussia need to realize figure skating is not all about them

UM84

On the Ice
I think Evan is playing the victim role quite beautifully in this "Cold War" drama orchestrated by NBC. Why should you be surprised that NBC is promoting Evan as the gracious, diplomatic hero? He's part of the Stars on Ice club. NBC commentators shower all their praises on this clique and virtually ignore Stars on Ice non-members. That's how the game works here in the US.

I'll repeat what I said in another thread. Scotty Hamilton should make it clear in EVERY broadcast that he has a business relationship with Evan, since he is the producer of Stars on Ice. It's a conflict of interest that Scotty gets to comment on a skater that works for him on Stars on Ice. This drama is meant to drum up business for Stars on Ice. Pure and simple....

By the way, hasn't Scotty Hamilton said a few times now that Evan Lysacek is the most hard working athlete in the field? How would Scotty know? Has he gone to every rink around the world to compare the training regimen of every skater compared to Evan. Somehow I don't think so.

It has always been none how hard Evan works.... and I think Scott repsects the sport to much to let SOI interfear with his judgement