Plushenko & other Russians comment on the Men's Event | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Plushenko & other Russians comment on the Men's Event

UM84

On the Ice
All's I know is that after watching both Scott Hamilton & Dick Button on NBC last night, I will no longer support SOI, which means I will no longer attend any of their shows. Hopefully that will change one day in the future. But, for now, no.

I've had enough of Scott, and though I'm sorry to see that he looks very very ill (is he alright? seriously, does anybody know if he is ill?), I just can't do it. Anything associated with him makes me uneasy at this point in time.

Neither of these two can honestly hold a candle to Evgeni. And not just in medals (Evgeni is second only to Gillis Grafstrom when it comes to all-time medals won at the Olympics, nobody else comes close). And compared to Scott, Evgeni won ALL his Olympic medals with brilliant free skates, unlike Scott whom is literally the Trixie Schuba of mens figure skating. His free skate was a disaster, popped & singled jumps, not even a 3A, which the other medalist did. Everybody knows Scott Hamilton won his Olympic Gold Medal due to his figures; he was so far ahead of the field in figures that it didn't matter he imploded in the free skate.

I only bring this up because of their mutual bashing of Evgeni Plushenko. Jealous is all, pure jealousy. At least Evan didn't engage in this bashfest. For this he has my respect.

Well then are you going to stop supporting all of the skaters who are bashing Evan?

nastasi1212

Rinkside
I think the Russians are having a particularly hard time dealing with the fact that their style of skating and choreography has gone out of fashion. Russian choreo was the rage in the 90's and up until the CoP era. There can be little doubt the new style and center of the skating world has shifted to Canada.

Just watch what Lori did for Evan and what "Rasputin" :)laugh: sorry I don't know his real name) did for Plushy. One has a State of The Art program and the other is mired in the 90's.

I believe we will see Yuna's choreo done by Wilson outshine Mao's program from Tat.

And you better believe that if Joannie nails her programs she will outscore the Morozov choreo that Miki will be skating to.

Of course the skaters still have to perform and Yuna and Joannie will not win medals unless they perform at the top of their respective games. But their programs are the most CoP friendly.

I feel as great as Mao can be her program is not as CoP friendly as Yuna's program.
This is part of what we saw with Plushy. He had very limited choreo and his program was based on him outjumping everybody - or as Plushy himself said, "they will all be shaking in their boots."

I guess someone forgot to tell Evan, Dai and a few others they were supposed to be too scared to skate their best.

Sorry, but CoP demands a better strategy than simply thinking your competitiors will freeze up and hand you the OGM.

I think this is completely subjective. For example I liked the tango, I don't think its outdated, I think its strong, passionate, and form me Evan's choreography was completely forgettable.
So don't be so assured that your own opinion expresses everyone. I guess you have no relation to dancing, or any type of tango.

Tango has always been the most dramatic, and sensual dance of all time...

ademption

Rinkside
Evan may be the new King and Olympic champion but I haven't read many posts claiming he is the world's greatest skater. So what is left - the "hardest working" line seems to fit and did you ever consider for a minute that is the best way to explain his WC, GPF Title and now OGM?

I attribute Evan's wins to mental toughness for one thing. I think his strategy in gaming the system is THE most important attribute to his winning the World Championships, Grand Prix Title and Olympic Gold medal. He performed just enough on his jumps, spins and footwork to gain points while his competitors did not. If Scotty Hamilton wanted to compliment Evan he could have used the analogy that Evan is like a chess player and he strategized his program to maximize on points. That would have been a more apt comparison to make in this situation then to say that Evan works harder than others.

I will ask it one more time. How can you quantify that Evan worked harder than his other competitors? Where have you gotten this information other than from the lips of Scotty, Sandra and other NBC commentators? Have coaches said that? Judges? People in the skating community other than NBC commentators? I would like to know....

janetfan

Match Penalty
:rofl: We have a winner in the "post of the thread" contest. :agree:

I hope that's true! It would make my day if Plushenko came out next week and said, "ha ha suckers -- what? you never heard of "reality" TV?"

Part of the deal is Plush can't talk about it for one year. NBC spread the payments out to make sure Plushy will stay evil until they can try and make back some of the money they lost on the Olympics.
First up will be a TV special with Evan, wearing a white cowboy hat baling hay to show how as an American he works harder than anyone else.

Next they will show Evan eating his mom's apple pie with "America The Beautiful" playing in the background.

Then it will jump back to Skate America and show how the great Evan won and another Russian villain, Lutai got drunk, stole a car and tried to molest innocent young American girls. ;)

I am not allowed to reveal anymore of the plot but NBC expects to "hit it out of the park" with Evan's first TV special and rumors are the commercials are selling at close to Super Bowl rates. ;)

Justafan

On the Ice
I attribute Evan's success to training and smart training at that...training to his strengths in relation to CoP requirements. All I have to support that is that I heard that he puts in full days of training and does complete run throughs. (Even Johnny said that about him). He has said that for him and his coach it was about trying to reach a personal best in each event and sometimes it worked during the season and sometimes it didn't and that he was lucky to have put it all together here at the Olympics. He also said that he felt going first in his group in the LP actually helped him because he didn't have the other's performances in his head.

Justafan

On the Ice
part of the deal is plush can't talk about it for one year. Nbc spread the payments out to make sure plushy will stay evil until they can try and make back some of the money they lost on the olympics.
First up will be a tv special with evan, wearing a white cowboy hat baling hay to show how as an american he works harder than anyone else.

Next they will show evan eating his mom's apple pie with "america the beautiful" playing in the background.

Then it will jump back to skate america and show how the great evan won and another russian villain, lutai got drunk, stole a car and tried to molest innocent young american girls. ;)

i am not allowed to reveal anymore of the plot but nbc expects to "hit it out of the park" with evan's first tv special and rumors are the commercials are selling at close to super bowl rates. ;)

lol!

Nadine

Record Breaker
Well then are you going to stop supporting all of the skaters who are bashing Evan?

This isn't about the skaters, this is about a commentator that has been out & out hateful toward Evgeni since I can remember. Scott couldn't even hold back his hateful remarks about Evgeni during Evan Lysacek's 2010 Nationals Free Skate, when Evgeni wasn't even competing there.

It gets tiresome after a while, Scott's fake friendly attitude to promote SOI, or his book, or whatever he's doing at the moment.

I've finally drawn the line after watching his NBC interview last night. Enough's enough for me. :)

I honestly wish him the best, and hope to God he's allright, because he sure didn't look it last night. Maybe whatever it is that is eating at him has affected his commentating. That's the only thing I can think of. Get better, Scott.

ademption

Rinkside
How do you know that the other skaters don't put in full days of training and complete run throughs? Where did you hear that Evan does full days of training and complete run throughs while his opponents haven't? Again, I don't question Evan's hard work. I question the comparison between the other skaters and him.

Alatariel, I appreciate your clarification. I agree with your statement that competitors should "swallow the bs when their turn comes." That's why I strongly disagreed with the IOC awarding Sale/Pellitier a gold medal. It set a precedent that now the Russians are following through with Plushenko's silver medal. Where's the British "stiff upper lip" with regards to the North Americans and the Russians?

Last edited:

Raatkirani

On the Ice
It has always been none how hard Evan works.... and I think Scott repsects the sport to much to let SOI interfear with his judgement

BS. He's done this a million times before. Let's go back in the time machine...the year is 1994, the place is Lillehammer. Pairs competiton. M&D have just had the SOTLs, a raucous standing ovation. Scott Hamilton is dead silent, doesn't say a work until Verne Lundquist breaks in and says "That was breathtaking." Then Scott opens up about how many gifts this pair has "his drama, her flexibility, blah blah blah..." but he's almost wetting his pants from nervousness because his SOI colleagues G&G are up. This is too close for comfort. They better get the gold because he wants them for SOI--they're a big draw. The rest of their performance (which was beautiful no doubt) was a gush fest from Hamilton.

And please, don't even get me started about Salt Lake City. We ALL know what happened then...

Smuusik

Rinkside
Part of the deal is Plush can't talk about it for one year. NBC spread the payments out to make sure Plushy will stay evil until they can try and make back some of the money they lost on the Olympics.
First up will be a TV special with Evan, wearing a white cowboy hat baling hay to show how as an American he works harder than anyone else.

Next they will show Evan eating his mom's apple pie with "America The Beautiful" playing in the background.

Then it will jump back to Skate America and show how the great Evan won and another Russian villain, Lutai got drunk, stole a car and tried to molest innocent young American girls. ;)

I am not allowed to reveal anymore of the plot but NBC expects to "hit it out of the park" with Evan's first TV special and rumors are the commercials are selling at close to Super Bowl rates. ;)
:rofl:

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
I have a lot to say, but I feel like limiting my post, partly because so many here (thank you) have already expressed very well, things I want to say. As an American, I am quite embarrassed by those posts of my fellow countrymen that are in the tone of the Cold War, a tone which is contrary to the spirit of the Olympic Games.

My favorites, over the years, have come from many countries. I celebrate when my favorite athletes win, no matter what is their country of origin, because for me it is about the individual athlete.

ETA: I meant also to include my embarrassment when the media people behave as if they enjoy the Cold War mentality.

Last edited:

Raatkirani

On the Ice
How do you know that the other skaters don't put in full days of training and complete run throughs? Where did you hear that Evan does full days of training and complete run throughs while his opponents haven't? Again, I don't question Evan's hard work. I question the comparison between the other skaters and him.

It peeves me to no extent whenever I hear Hamilton say that. "Evan is the hardest worker here" is really a ridiculous statement. Really, like the other skaters are just naturally gifted and came out doing triple axels out of the womb? They all work hard and they all make sacrifices. Evan doesn't do more or less than what the other top 10 are doing.

nastasi1212

Rinkside
NBC should be ashamed of themsalves. I remember back in 2002 they called Yagudin "skating conservatively" because he did only only one quad combination instead of two... I could laugh all night.
What do they think now of their skater Lysacek?
Shouldn't everyone say he skated conservatively?
My God how people's opinion change according to their interests?
Thank God they are recorded in TV, so that someone can expose them...
And from what I can remember in men's field the highlights were the jumps, but now they are something unimportant.

Back then they thought of PLushenko and Yagudin high, but now they bash Evgeni.
In Yagudin's LP in Salt Lake City the reporters were holding their breath in 4-3-2 combination and were cheering on Evgeni's attempt on 4-3-3 but now it's nothing important and plays no part in medals.
I am so sick I think I will never watvh figure skating again.
NOBODY can play games with the audience intelligence, we have memory and we remember what they were saying back then and what they are saying now.

BigJohn

On the Ice
What do we learn in all of this?

Russian politicians are pretty pompous.

Poutine may be a good spy turned enlightened despot, but his artistic tastes are questionable.

Watch the Lysacek program again, then the Plushenko program. I mean the PC marks are obvious gifts.
Plushenko's program looks like a cheesy exhibition program. It's hard not to laugh.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
sorry, i was interrupted while posting, so this might seem off-topic...further back, someone justifying P's program on the ground that it was a Tango

That was not Tango. I don't mean the music , but the performance. The were no tango steps that I could see. Tango has no pelvic gyrations. Tango is the most sensual, passionate dance ever.. but it wasn't expressed here.

Give the man credit for what he did. He made a great comeback. It's amazing that he stepped back into the fray in the great form that he did. He has left his mark on figure skating..no question.But he came back into a competition and his choreography was lacking. It could have been criticized even under the old rules for front loading ,placement of jumps , stopping to pose, etc.

When we fail to acknowledge that there were any weaknesses ,we rob any justified arguments of credibility.

Last edited:

Alatariel

On the Ice
Of course there are weaknesses in Plushenko. The trouble is Plushenko has weaknesses and Evan Lysacek is the perfect all round skater. :rolleye:

flesymtuobayzarc

Rinkside
I have a lot to say, but I feel like limiting my post, partly because so many here (thank you) have already expressed very well, things I want to say. As an American, I am quite embarrassed by those posts of my fellow countrymen that are in the tone of the Cold War, a tone which is contrary to the spirit of the Olympic Games.

My favorites, over the years, have come from many countries. I celebrate when my favorite athletes win, no matter what is their country of origin, because for me it is about the individual athlete.

ETA: I meant also to include my embarrassment when the media people behave as if they enjoy the Cold War mentality.

:)Thank you very much, I'm sure many posters appreciate it.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
NBC should be ashamed of themsalves. I remember back in 2002 they called Yagudin "skating conservatively" because he did only only one quad combination instead of two... I could laugh all night.
What do they think now of their skater Lysacek?
Shouldn't everyone say he skated conservatively?

I think there is a big difference, because Yagudin was the last to skate and he definetely played it safe (skated better at 2002 Worlds).

Lysacek was the first to skate, he had to go all out, not hold back, which he did. To jump the quad was not in his plan, as he had problems with the old injury from previous season.