Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko & other Russians comment on the Men's Event

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Per the title of this thread have we heard comments from Yags, Illia, Irina or any of the other great Russian skaters?

We have heard from Boitano, Kristi, and just this morning Tim Goebel.

Wuz just curious?
    sorry, I don't know if i got it right (my English is not so good...): you're saying that while the title of the thread it's about russian skater, we heard only news from US skaters....right?

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Anton has spoken, Urmanov, Tarasova, Katarina Witt who is not russian, Navka, The russian Hockey captain (lol-but it was really warm words about all the team being behind him holding hands), I have skipped reading the thread here, just telling you what I know. Well you can guess what they said. Maybe more people have spoken, i lost track.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Tim Goebel? Really? Where did he speak about it?

As for the other Russian skaters....Ilia and Yags won fair and square and there really wasn't any controversy there. And I think that all three are a little to classy to really complain and get involved in this nonsense.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by nastasi1212 View Post
    not to mention a to die for jumping ability
    and a unique ability to save all the jumps
    Yes, he has an amazing jumping talent and managed to save some scary looking jumps. That he managed to stay on his feet, would have been enough under the 6,0 system. The CoP-system is though different, there needs to be quality and not just saved jumps.

Banned
    Well, thank god the system will be changed to prevent from this Olympics travesty from ever occurring again.
    Thank you, Plushenko for martyrdom to save this sport!!!!!! You knew you would never win under current ridiculous judging rules but you went for it and now we have the rightful public outcry.
    It's not about Gold, it's about a cause. YOU WON!!!

Whippet Good!
    I love what Tim Goebel said.

Quote Originally Posted by oxade21 View Post
    Well, thank god the system will be changed to prevent from this Olympics travesty from ever occurring again.
    Thank you, Plushenko for martyrdom to save this sport!!!!!! You knew you would never win under current ridiculous judging rules but you went for it and now we have the rightful public outcry.
    It's not about Gold, it's about a cause. YOU WON!!!
    Yea, yea, we have already had enough bad blood and arguing from fans at GS. I asked about Yags and others since I am sure they know more than fans here.

I thought Goebel's comments were interesting. He said he thought Evan won under the current rules - but thinks the quad is not scored properly.

He may not be everybodies favorite skater - but he knows more than fans here.

No one said the rules would be changed but I am sure there will be talk about it and federations lobbying for it.

Whippet Good!
    He may not be everybodies favorite skater - but he knows more than fans here.
    How can that be possible?! Everyone here is an expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    How can that be possible?! Everyone here is an expert!

Yes but atleast everybody is fair and not too opininated

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    .... I've not very knowledgeable about the nuances of the 6.0 system, so please (politely) correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that there was a bigger reward and not much risk for the quad.
    I don't know if this was addressed by another poster, but I want to make sure that the facts are known to all. Under 6.0, the quad was *very* high risk for years.

After Urmanov's Olympic victory over Boitano, Cinquanta told judges that, from then on, they should only give credit for elements accomplished, not for more difficult elements attempted that were not completed. After that, skaters tried *very* hard to "skate clean", i.e., without any falls. Falling usually resulted in lowered marks for Presentation, which was the bigger part of the total score. Since the quad itself presented a high likelihood of causing a fall, skaters definitely were raising their risk level by attempting it.

I never liked quads per se, because they appeared to increase the wear and tear on the skaters' bodies. For this reason, I should not like to see quads become mandatory; however, I think that raising the number of points rewarded for quads and quad combinations might be a good step. That would leave the decision up to the skater.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Anton has spoken, Urmanov, Tarasova, Katarina Witt who is not russian, Navka, The russian Hockey captain (lol-but it was really warm words about all the team being behind him holding hands), I have skipped reading the thread here, just telling you what I know. Well you can guess what they said. Maybe more people have spoken, i lost track.
    What did they all say? I am tired of reading American medias' take on it, and want to know the other side.

Worshipping at the temple of Severus Snape Alatariel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodhiyel View Post
    I never liked quads per se, because they appeared to increase the wear and tear on the skaters' bodies. For this reason, I should not like to see quads become mandatory; however, I think that raising the number of points rewarded for quads and quad combinations might be a good step. That would leave the decision up to the skater.
    I love quads but I couldn't agree more with that part. If you are going to take this risk, at least be rewarded properly. I've mentioned it before, if you do your calculations nicely taking a risk for a certain quad combo is simply idiotic as you can get the same amount of points without that. This is just plain nonsense.

I really don't see what's wrong with changing the rules that are obviously not good enough except if at this time it doesn't suit your particular skaters. This of course just means the moment Canada and the US get someone with a consistent quad and decent other overall skills you can bet they'll hop on the bandwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by Alatariel View Post
    I love quads but I couldn't agree more with that part. If you are going to take this risk, at least be rewarded properly. I've mentioned it before, if you do your calculations nicely taking a risk for a certain quad combo is simply idiotic as you can get the same amount of points without that. This is just plain nonsense.

I really don't see what's wrong with changing the rules that are obviously not good enough except if at this time it doesn't suit your particular skaters. This of course just means the moment Canada and the US get someone with a consistent quad and decent other overall skills you can bet they'll hop on the bandwagon!
    You are right. When the CoP was being put together quad values were carefully considered. The powers at the time wanted to make sure that a skater like Tim Goebel wouldn't win too easily just by outjumping everybody. Now do those same powers want the rule changed to give the quad more points? And who in Russia has a consistent quad besides Plushy? Who has two quads this season? Was it Ryan Bradley ?

Who has three quads? Which federation had the only three quad jumper when the CoP was formatted?
    It was USA and Tim Goebel and the rules and points were formatted to make sure Tim would not win just because he was such a great quad jumper.

Whippet Good!
    Yes but atleast everybody is fair and not too opininated
    True dat!

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast