Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 252

Thread: Plushenko & other Russians comment on the Men's Event

  1. #61
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,691
    I watched the Today show this morning on my DVR and they (NBC) were STILL talking about this. I said, don't I get the feeling that this is being blown just a little out of proportion?

    I take it the Russians were just making those comments out of frustration and disappointment. The only difference is they're not afraid to make their statements publicly. The fact that they're not filing a formal complaint says it all IMO.

    The first interview with Lysacek on the Today show (?) was ok. But then Al Michaels asked him again about it on the afternoon show, Bob Costas asked him about it AGAIN on the primetime show and YET AGAIN with him (along with Button and Hamilton). I could see it in his face- enough already! The folks at NBC get carried away with these sensational stories WAY too easily...but then again I'll be fair to them- they're not the only ones.

  2. #62
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    I watched the Today show this morning on my DVR and they (NBC) were STILL talking about this. I said, don't I get the feeling that this is being blown just a little out of proportion?

    I take it the Russians were just making those comments out of frustration and disappointment. The only difference is they're not afraid to make their statements publicly. The fact that they're not filing a formal complaint says it all IMO.

    The first interview with Lysacek on the Today show (?) was ok. But then Al Michaels asked him again about it on the afternoon show, Bob Costas asked him about it AGAIN on the primetime show and YET AGAIN with him (along with Button and Hamilton). I could see it in his face- enough already! The folks at NBC get carried away with these sensational stories WAY too easily...but then again I'll be fair to them- they're not the only ones.
    NBC = desperate for ratings.
    IMO they could spend some of that time talking about the athletes that don't get any attention, but perform admirably.

  3. #63
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,419
    I believed the judges got it right with respect to the top two but I can understand why Plushenko would complain about the results. I mean I think most people will be pretty upset if they lost to someone when they skated clean and did harder jumps. Of course others may not publicize their complains like Plushenko does but hey that's Plushenko. Also I just think it's really interesting that the NBC commentaries kept on saying how Evan's program was more artistic because they got the same PCS score! So obviously, Evan didn't win with his artistry. In this respect, I think Plushenko has a point in his argument about how the current system weighs the points. Other sports gave higher points for performing more difficult elements, so why shouldn't figure skating if it is indeed a sport. I also think it's a bit hypocritical for some people to say the current system favors well-balanced programs because then why aren't artistic skaters like Weir or Daisuke awarded more in their PCS? Transitions should be rewarded but shouldn't the ability to immerse the audience with one's interpretation also be rewarded as well? It's this unbalanced way of judging that has resulted in confusion and debates.

  4. #64
    "Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Storybrooke, Maine
    Posts
    3,674
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    I also think it's a bit hypocritical for some people to say the current system favors well-balanced programs because then why aren't artistic skaters like Weir or Daisuke awarded more in their PCS?
    Takahashi actually earned the highest PCS of the night in the LP with 84.50 and Lambiel was second highest with 83.60. Had Dai played it safe like Evan, he would be Olympic champion. Daisuke has got to be kicking himself in the aftermath of it all. Why did he have to try that quad . . . it ruined everything for him.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 02-20-2010 at 04:17 PM.

  5. #65
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,419
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Takahashi actually earned the highest PCS of the night in the LP with 84.50 and Lambiel was second highest with 83.60. Had Dai played it safe like Evan, he would be Olympic champion. Daisuke has got to be kicking himself in the aftermath of it all. Why did he have to try that quad . . . it ruined everything for him.
    Oh you're right. My mistake. I agree it's a shame, but I read Dai thinks a champion has to do the quad. I guess he agrees with Plushenko on this issue.

  6. #66
    ~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,717

    Plushenko - CTV Interview

    Ctv just did a one-on-one interview with the Quad Star himself - Plushenko. In a candid interview Plushenko is still reeling from the results of the men's discipline. He does say that the other skaters are good, but without the quad was it really a competition? He did close by saying he plans to be around for the Russian Olympics - so look out Evan - if he is still around - and the rest of the pack.

  7. #67
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by nastasi1212 View Post
    "Tango has no pelvic gyrations"

    You obviously have never danced the tango
    I've never danced to a tango (except maybe the fiesta and harris, lol), but I've seen a lot of them, figure skating wise, and none of them had pelvic gyrations. None of the tangos in the pairs and mens events had any pelvic gyrations (nor did the tango romantica. yes, i know, i know, it's a CD and a softer tango. i just couldn't resist mentioning it, because it does have the characterics and basic qualities of a tango). Plushenko's tango took sensual and made it overtly sexual. The choreography could very well have come from his "sex bomb" exhibition routine. Personally, I don't think this is the greatest choice for an Olympic program, and i think that's what the inital poster was refering to.

  8. #68
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,783
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Oh you're right. My mistake. I agree it's a shame, but I read Dai thinks a champion has to do the quad. I guess he agrees with Plushenko on this issue.
    Dai also said the quad is important for him as a skater. I really admire him. He's a true champion. Both mao and dai attempt the hardest elements to advance the sport and bravo to them. I like skaters who put it out there, cautions to the wind.
    Rachael is also another one. She never backs down on her technical contents.

  9. #69
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Here is an interview Evan just did,
    He said he is very disappointed by Plushy's behavior and comments.

    And says he is not sure if he will go to Worlds or not yet.
    I still wish Ryan Bradley would get to go just so he could drop two Quads on Plushy and stop his whining.

    http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-ska...oser+plushenko

  10. #70
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,783
    You appear to forget the axel jump. Bradleydoesnt have it. Doesn't have 4-3 combo

  11. #71
    Custom Title Tigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    100 Acre Wood
    Posts
    782
    Not just that, but Plushy also said that he thinks his spins and footwork were good the other night. Then as Dr. Jacques Rogge entered the CTV studio for an interview, Plushy on his way out told him the Judging System needs changed.

    For starters...If Plushy thinks his spins and footwork really was good, he's got a bigger problem than thinking the quad is the end all and be all. Second, Skate Gods willing Dr. Rogge realizes what's going on here and leaves things alone. Which I think will happen, as Dr. Rogge's a pretty smart guy and realizes there's more to Skating than just one jump!!

  12. #72
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Not just that, but Plushy also said that he thinks his spins and footwork were good the other night. Then as Dr. Jacques Rogge entered the CTV studio for an interview, Plushy on his way out told him the Judging System needs changed.

    For starters...If Plushy thinks his spins and footwork really was good, he's got a bigger problem than thinking the quad is the end all and be all. Second, Skate Gods willing Dr. Rogge realizes what's going on here and leaves things alone. Which I think will happen, as Dr. Rogge's a pretty smart guy and realizes there's more to Skating than just one jump!!
    Cinquanta has already commented and said skating is about more than one jump.
    He said Plushy wants it both ways and that won't happen.
    This is the first time I have ever agreed with Speedy

  13. #73
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by nastasi1212 View Post
    NBC should be ashamed of themsalves. I remember back in 2002 they called Yagudin "skating conservatively" because he did only only one quad combination instead of two... I could laugh all night.
    What do they think now of their skater Lysacek?
    Shouldn't everyone say he skated conservatively?
    My God how people's opinion change according to their interests?
    Thank God they are recorded in TV, so that someone can expose them...
    And from what I can remember in men's field the highlights were the jumps, but now they are something unimportant.

    Back then they thought of PLushenko and Yagudin high, but now they bash Evgeni.
    In Yagudin's LP in Salt Lake City the reporters were holding their breath in 4-3-2 combination and were cheering on Evgeni's attempt on 4-3-3 but now it's nothing important and plays no part in medals.
    I am so sick I think I will never watvh figure skating again.
    NOBODY can play games with the audience intelligence, we have memory and we remember what they were saying back then and what they are saying now.
    Interests haven't changed at all, the rules of the game have. Everyone still wants gold. In 2002, the way to do it was quads. I've not very knowledgeable about the nuances of the 6.0 system, so please (politely) correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that there was a bigger reward and not much risk for the quad. Jump to 2010, and we're in the CoP system, which is a whole new game. As you mentioned, whether you agree or disagree, jumps are now less important. So back in 2002, it made sense to say one quad is somewhat conservative when many men are routinely landing 2 solid quads. Now, that doesn't make sense anymore. Quads can be a helpful and powerful tool, if consistent and combined with good spins and PCS, but by no means necessary. So if you want to win, you change your strategy, your opinion on what's imporant, and what to include in a performance. Evan was not conservative, he was smart. I don't think NBC should be ashamed for that reason.

  14. #74
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    208
    It think there is more to a copetition then just the quad. The element takes what 5 seconds to complete, that is 5 seconds in a 4.5 minute program (don't know the exact time of the Long). This is the mindset the Russians need to change before the Olympics, there is more to skating the just 1 element.

  15. #75
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    19
    Wow, I can't believe that anyone who doesn't care for Plushy's attitude is automatically subscribing to cold war mentality, or the plot by NBC, Scott, and Sandra to destroy the sport. Because it couldn't possibly be that he is a sore loser. He didn't win because HE failed to milk the system. Regardless of what anyone else did. He had two choices; either skate an old school program cleanly or use the CoP to his advantage. He did neither. I'm not comparing him to anyone on things such as transitions or musicality. It's just math. And his coach and choreographer are as much to blame for the loss. But don't put down others to make yourself feel better.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •