Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Be Robbed?

Johnny Be Robbed?

American figure skater Johnny Weir deserved better than sixth, didn't he? Tim's Take
    American figure skater Johnny Weir put on a dazzling performance in the men’s free skate Thursday that left many ice skating fans woozy with delight. However, the judges thought differently.

Custom Title
    Johnny was robbed before he ever set foot on the ice.

Custom Title
    Johnny said skating is very political and they didn't want 2 men from the same country on the podium

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Johnny was robbed and I can't wait until he writes his tell all.

Genealogy Crazed
    As much as I admire Johnny and love his skating, his program was rather bare of the transitions and moves in the field that I've always enjoyed from him. For me, his long program was pretty "bare bones" and constructed like Plushy's with just high points of jumps, spins and footwork. Don't get me wrong, I still loved watching Johnny skate and think he should have scored higher than 6th place after two almost clean programs.
    Last edited by Lynn51; 02-20-2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Custom Title
    I'm so sick of the whole "he has no transitions" mantra. His transitions score was 7.45. Evan's and Patrick "Mr. Transitions" Chan both had 7.95. Multiply the difference by a factor of two, and you only have his transitions one point behind the gold medalist. Second, his technical element score was higher than Chan, Takahashi, and Lambiel.

Basically, he was kept behind by the PCS scores, which is a travesty. To put his interpretation, choreography (his was definitely one of the most aesthetically well balanced programs in the competition), performance (Johnny not have finesse in his performance? what are we smoking?) and skating skills (we're told over and over by our own commentators that his technique is "pure") so far back was a deliberate move by the judges to keep him off the podium.

The ugly truth is that he had no chance. There was no way the powers that be were ever going to let him medal, even with the SOHL. No way two American men would be on the podium, especially THAT one. I think he was judged fairly when it came to TES (he did lip and his spin had that small error), but when it came to the subjective scores (qualities which I think are Johnny's strong suit and what makes him so popular worldwide), the judges screwed him royally. To put him behind Chan and Lambiel was a joke, and I think he should have taken bronze.
    Last edited by Raatkirani; 02-20-2010 at 12:29 PM.

On the Ice
    Ita!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Custom Title
    Here's a cute question and answer vid with Johnny from the NBC Olympics site. (Is it okay to post this?)

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/[color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color]...th+johnny+weir

Custom Title
    Johnny was so ROBBED of the PEWTER MEDAL (jk)

Now, seriously Johnny gave his two best performances since 2006 and was seriously underscored in the PCS department. The Goes and TES were just ok. However... He wasnt top 3 material at all but I'd defintely put him above Lambiel and especially Chan.

Genealogy Crazed
    Quote Originally Posted by Raatkirani View Post
    I'm so sick of the whole "he has no transitions" mantra.
    I surely didn't mean to upset you! I still prefer Johnny's older programs that were chocked full that's all. I was thrilled when Johnny was picked for the US Olympic team and really hoped he'd be the OG winner.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiKike View Post
    Johnny was so ROBBED of the PEWTER MEDAL (jk)

Now, seriously Johnny gave his two best performances since 2006 and was seriously underscored in the PCS department. The Goes and TES were just ok. However... He wasnt top 3 material at all but I'd defintely put him above Lambiel and especially Chan.
    i agree with you. i think he deserved a higher placing. I think saying he could have been on the podium would be pushing it, but 6th was just too low...and as it's been previously pointed out, if Stojko said that Johnny was robbed, then there's not much more to say...

Custom Title
    ITA. I was so excited for a moment, I thought he might have had the bronze. I agree, he was kept down so there wouldn't be two Americans on the stand.

IMO, the biggest fault of COP is too small a deduction for a fall. If a good program gets 167 points, falling is a loss of 1? Less than 1%? So, the favorite can fall three times, but crooked judges can just throw three GOE points, transition points, or whatever and make up for it? That's ridiculous. A 0.1 deduction for on a 6.0 scale was about fair, but 1 point on a scaled going to 170 is ludicrous. No way should the two that fell be ahead of Johnny, uh-uh. And, so I'm not accused of American bias (not that it would be untrue in my case), Jeremy probably shouldn't have gone up 6 places either, much as I love him.

I think Weir's performances are a good example of the biggest criticism of the CoP judging system. There is such a large disconnect between what the fans love to see on the ice, and the minutia of a quarter point for this and a tenth for that.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think Weir's performances are a good example of the biggest criticism of the CoP judging system. There is such a large disconnect between what the fans love to see on the ice, and the minutia of a quarter point for this and a tenth for that.
    Speaking as a simple fan: YES. How could that elegance and intensity not be rewarded in the PC scores which claim to rate those qualities? That just makes the scoring system look subjective and political.

Medalist
    Johnny definately deserved way better than 6th place, he should've been in at least 4th. He probably should've won the bronze medal. He was screwed big time. On his interview on NBC last night, he said something to the effect of he knew going into these Olympics that he wouldn't medal regardless of how he skated but he was happy he had the two skates of his life.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast