Who won the men's title according to TV commentators around the world? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who won the men's title according to TV commentators around the world?

chloepoco

Medalist
I was watching on German Eurosport most of the time, but after Plushenko's skate I switched to a different German broadcaster for a short moment and the commentator there was talking about how much better Evan's footwork was, more difficult, more creative.. I think he prefered Evan to win.
Eurosport guys on the other hand thought the result wasn't okay.

(and Daniel Weiss, who did the commentary until the last group, said Kozuka was all about jumps and deserves low component scores :unsure:)

Oh my, does he know anything about ice skating?

screech

Final Flight
After Plushenko was done with his performance, Australian (FOXTEL) commentators said he has done enough to win the gold and began to say how incredible his comeback is. Moment later when the score came out, they fell silent.

Plushenko was clearly robbed. That was plain as daylight but of course those who benefited from it will never admit it.

I was watching on Foxtel and they were saying that it was going to be close, uncertain of if Plush would get it. When his score didn't beat Evan's, the guy just said 'He's short!' That was the only real reaction. No debate or anything. They never said anything about Plush winning. They didn't seem to know who it was going to be.

Unless somehow my broadcast was over-dubbed with completely different commentators who expressed no favourtism, aside from gushing over Patrick Chan's movement across the ice (saying that nobody moves like him), Stephane's spins (saying that they're like an optical illusion), Denis' bright future, joy over Javier's drunken pirate footwork and Adrian's escaped mental patient program... nothing saying 'Skater X deserved to get this place and I disagree with their marks.'

DesertRoad

Final Flight
You mean people are just making up what commentators said? I can do that, too. Why, here in Stankonia, our commentators said all the men were jive *** turkeys except for Adrian Schultheiss, who was off tha hook and should've won.

jennylovskt

Medalist
NBC commentators, particularly Sandra Bezic, has listed all the possible faults in Plushenko's program and how bad Plushenko has skated during his skating and before his scores came out.

ademption

Rinkside
Thanks for creating this thread. It's been really interesting to read the different reactions to the men's free skate event. I think I like the Dutch's take on commentating the best. Just keep it neutral and describe the positives and negatives of each skater. That's all I ask. It's one of the reasons why I can enjoy the ice dance competition b/c I feel that Tracy Wilson is closer to my ideal, than the other NBC commentators....

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Plushenko was lucky to be on the podium, in my opinion. Everything about his skating (aside from the amazing Triple Axel in the Short Program) was lower in quality than it was 4 years ago. The jumps weren't as crisp. The footwork wasn't nearly as dynamic. He didn't skate with speed or uncontrollable enthusiasm. His edge quality was actually embarrasing by his standards...4 years ago he had the strongest, most-assured edges out of any skater and at this competition he was pretty shallow on his blades and lacked ease between changes of edge. Even the spins were weaker.

I'd love it if we could stop talking about both of these turkeys. The best performances of the competition came from the Japanese men. Takahashi in the SP and Kozuka in the LP. As I said in another thread, I would have had the overall rankings as:

1. Takahashi (1, 3)
2. Lysacek (2, 4)
3. Kozuka (6, 1)
4. Weir (5, 2)
5. Plushenko (3, 5)
6. Chan (8, 6)
7. Lambiel (7, 7)
8. Oda (4, 8)

aurora100

Final Flight
You obviously have a bit more class over there. Too bad Dai didn't get the Gold...it would have made all of these discussions a moot point!

I don't think so, unless Dai were to win with a good quad. If not, Russians would say the same thing they are saying about Evan. To me this result is so clear, I can't believe there is any doubt of the result. Thrashing your hips around for foot work has no scoring point in figure skating, nor should it. Russia is losing its grip as a skating power house. They will not win the dance or ladies. The first time in history this will happen. They have to wake up and smell the coffee. They will blame the world and everything else for a while as they go through this denial phase. Then they have to face the music. They have to realize the Russian skaters have to become a true athlete. They have been known for years for not having stamina and not doing their run throughs. They were able to still win when there were no extra bonus for doing harder elements at the end of program and a more balanced program between jumps and footwork and transition.:banging::banging::banging:

Last edited:

pengdequan

Rinkside
I have to tell you,the actual Chinese commentator of the competition said it could go either way.And She was OK with the result. Definitely not a joke for her.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I just can't rememberfor sure was it Eurosport or National TV2 I watched, I followed both just to listen what both commentators think, they both are Finnish, though. But the commentator I listened was sure after Evgeni had skated that it was the performance worth of gold and was quite suprised it wasn't. But she (a lady commentator, Eurosport has a male, too) said maybe the unclean landings had so much effect. She liked Evan, too. I think it was Eurosport, sorry I never remeber the names. Finns, Is Anuliisa Uotila on tv2?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
So who won the men's title according to TV broadcasters around the world?

Russian commentators are furious.
NBC(USA) is giddy.
Canada is siding with Evan because their next biggest hope is a 3A-less Chan.
Chinese commentator believes the result is a joke.
British commentators were shocked by judges' decision.

How about other countries?
Hungarian? German? Swedish? Spanish? Turkish? Japanese?

I know Eurosports broadcasted the men's final in multiple-languages. I'm just curious to see what the other countries' commentators had to say about the results.

Your comment about "Canada siding with Evan because thier next biggest hope is a 3A-less Chan" is absolutely silly and unfounded. Where do you people come up with these gems? Canadians know a winning program when they see it. Chan did not deliver his best skate, so was marked accordingly. Evan had the skate of the night. The hype around Plushenko and the quad almost ruined it for all of the skaters. Under the old judging system Plushenko probably would have been awarded the Gold medal because he was first in the short program, but under the new judging system the better skate won the day - which is how it supposed to work. Case closed.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I think whatever pain Evan is suffering from this backlash is more than offset by the perks of being an Olympic champion.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think whatever pain Evan is suffering from this backlash is more than offset by the perks of being an Olympic champion.

true, but I like Dai's skating, and I think his fans would have to deal with a whole lot of the same as what Evan's fans are. Evan is blissfully unaware of what's being said (I hope) and thank God for that :laugh: it'll calm down eventually.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
If the Dice man had won gold, he'd be the first Japanese man to win gold in figure skating, and the first Japanese athlete to win gold at these games. He'd be heralded as the ultimate hero in Japan and become a huge media sensation. Figure skating is currently a much higher profile sport in Japan than in the US. And unlike in the US, where Evan had to share the spotlight with Shaun White and Lindsey Vonn and other American gold medalists, Daisuke would have the stage all to himself unless a Japanese lady wins gold later. If Daisuke had won, his fans would be too busy going over a mountain of news articles, media appearances and CD releases related to him to worry about any backlash.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
If the Dice man had won gold, he'd be the first Japanese man to win gold in figure skating, and the first Japanese athlete to win gold at these games. He'd be heralded as the ultimate hero in Japan and become a huge media sensation. Figure skating is currently a much higher profile sport in Japan than in the US. And unlike in the US, where Evan had to share the spotlight with Shaun White and Lindsey Vonn and other American gold medalists, Daisuke would have the stage all to himself unless a Japanese lady wins gold later. If Daisuke had won, his fans would be too busy going over a mountain of news articles, media appearances and CD releases related to him to worry about any backlash.

oh to live in that fantasy...

Mafke

Medalist
Polish commentors on Eurosport were a little underwhelmed by Plushenko's performance (usually they're are very pro-Russian in general and pro-plushenko in particular and if it's close between a NAmerican and Russian they root for the Russian).

The more knowledgeable one said it wasn't up to his euros lp and wasn't sure if he'd done enough to win.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Your comment about "Canada siding with Evan because thier next biggest hope is a 3A-less Chan" is absolutely silly and unfounded. Where do you people come up with these gems? Canadians know a winning program when they see it. Chan did not deliver his best skate, so was marked accordingly. Evan had the skate of the night. The hype around Plushenko and the quad almost ruined it for all of the skaters. Under the old judging system Plushenko probably would have been awarded the Gold medal because he was first in the short program, but under the new judging system the better skate won the day - which is how it supposed to work. Case closed.

Are you serious? Chan was marked accordingly and case closed? Case reopened. Chan got a personal best for that skate. Marked accordingly? Canada is the worst when it comes to this. First, created the "Own the Podium" crap, then strong armed the judges into overmarking Chan, D/D, Virtue&Moir, and will overmark Joannie Rochette.
Under no judging system does that skate warrant a personal best. Please.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
The "own the podium crap" was an attempt to duplicate the success the Aussies had when they mounted a similar program prior to their Olympics ( They may have gone farther, recruiting athletes and coaches from all over the world.) Any country would pull out all the stops to try to make a good showing at a home games. It has been a boon to athletes in many sports who usually have to scrimp and scrape for every penny of financial support. I'm very glad they had it and hope it won't be completely withdrawn when the games end.

Virtue and Moir overmarked ...:laugh:

Last edited:

watchvancouver

Match Penalty
Are you serious? Chan was marked accordingly and case closed? Case reopened. Chan got a personal best for that skate. Marked accordingly? Canada is the worst when it comes to this. First, created the "Own the Podium" crap, then strong armed the judges into overmarking Chan, D/D, Virtue&Moir, and will overmark Joannie Rochette.
Under no judging system does that skate warrant a personal best. Please.

Chan's 160 pts in his free skate is certainly boosting his already inflated ego. He now believes if he skates clean, he'll win 2014 OGM... At least two skaters should have been placed ahead of Chan in this competition, the 3rd Japanese guy and Johnny.

Since many top skaters are not going to Torino, there's a real possibility this hooligan can win the world title next month to do exactly what he did at this Olys, which is to splat 3a.

I certainly don't hope to see this guy in competitions next season with those ridiculous marks. It's better he just skips the season.

Last edited by a moderator: