Who won the men's title according to TV commentators around the world? | Golden Skate

Who won the men's title according to TV commentators around the world?

watchvancouver

Match Penalty
So who won the men's title according to TV broadcasters around the world?

Russian commentators are furious.
NBC(USA) is giddy.
Canada is siding with Evan because their next biggest hope is a 3A-less Chan.
Chinese commentator believes the result is a joke.
British commentators were shocked by judges' decision.

How about other countries?
Hungarian? German? Swedish? Spanish? Turkish? Japanese?

I know Eurosports broadcasted the men's final in multiple-languages. I'm just curious to see what the other countries' commentators had to say about the results.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think if everyone was really honest with themselves, they'd admit that both Evan and Evgeni had some tight, labored jumps in their LP performances. Evan's 3flip three jump combo and 2nd 3Axel combination and Evgeni's 4toe combination (received no GOE deduction), one of his 3Axels, and a tilted in the air 3Lutz (received no GOE deduction) were not the best jumps. They were both really fighting instead of playing. I also thought Lysacek's 3Salchow was tight and scratchy on the landing, but strangely enough, he received no negative GOE for that landing. Everything was landed by both of them, but neither had ease or flow in their skating. Strangely enough, this was apparently a competition won by Evan based on the quality the judges saw in his spins and footwork. That's understandably a tough pill to swallow for a lot of people because it's not an obvious win seen clearly with the eyes. The casual eye can't look and say x won because y fell or had a touch down or a step out on a jump. The judges all season with their scoring and the team around him did a disservice to Evgeni by making him believe that as long as he remained upright, he could win a 2nd Olympic title. The same was done to Michelle back in 1998. It's an unfortunate outcome for fans I think because the most balanced skater of the top 3 after the SP unfortunately finished with bronze when all was said and done because he attempted a failed and downgraded quad resulting in zero points that if had been left out of the program and skated conservatively like Lysacek may have resulted in gold for him. It's a disappointing outcome for sure I think and not good for the sport!

Last edited:

clonesheep

Rinkside
After Plushenko was done with his performance, Australian (FOXTEL) commentators said he has done enough to win the gold and began to say how incredible his comeback is. Moment later when the score came out, they fell silent.

Plushenko was clearly robbed. That was plain as daylight but of course those who benefited from it will never admit it.

jennyszy

Rinkside
philippe candeloro said on french tv that he could see another 2002 ish scandal after the results...

Mehdi

On the Ice
French TV commentators anticipated the decision but still unanimously criticized it.

Edit : oops Jenny, sorry, we replied at the same time.

Last edited:

caelicola

Spectator
Derluking just to add my little colour piece.
In Italy the commentators Franca Bianconi and Valentina Marchei were positive that Plushenko had the win, going as far as deeming him "superhuman", and were genuinely flabbergasted when he didn't win.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Eurosport german and english said it was plushenko to win, greeks also but judges said the opposite so ...this is sport judged by judges and not the journalists.

I was ok after a day but now with all the fuss about Plush and the gazillion threads about him and the aftermath I want to have a break. The interviews , the articles, Ciquanta's quotes in the middle of competition, Puttin , this is a circus.

I feel awful and I hope Plush would have lost by ten points or something, not to be any controversy. I lost all my enthusiasm for the sliver which I think it is a major accomplishment he did, and I tried a lot to be enthusiastic in first place :( .
Oh i m such a crying baby..

Justafan

On the Ice
If Plushenko was robbed then that means that the other elements should have no value at all and he should have won based on one jump. If that's the case, then just turn off the music, have the skater just skate around in circles, jump and then leave the rink.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Eurosport german and english said it was plushenko to win, greeks also but judges said the opposite so ...this is sport judged by judges and not the journalists.

I was ok after a day but now with all the fuss about Plush and the gazillion threads about him and the aftermath I want to have a break. The interviews , the articles, Ciquanta's quotes in the middle of competition, Puttin , this is a circus.

I feel awful and I hope Plush would have lost by ten points or something, not to be any controversy. I lost all my enthusiasm for the sliver which I think it is a major accomplishment he did, and I tried a lot to be enthusiastic in first place :( .
Oh i m such a crying baby..

I think you're the most level headed of all of us, seniorita! hold your head up high. it's pretty rabid in skating boards every four years... come summer time the wars will still go on, but those of us who are battle weary now will come out of it all much stronger for the next four years! :laugh:

and in all fairness the hated American team of commentators were pretty sure the judges would give the edge to Plushenko. They aren't screaming foul with the rest of the world, that's true, but they said it should be close (scott's laugh at the end was pretty telling, it was more of a "oh boy here we go" type laugh)

amateur

Final Flight
So who won the men's title according to TV broadcasters around the world?

Canada is siding with Evan because their next biggest hope is a 3A-less Chan.

You really insist on being rude, don't you? I somehow doubt you watched Canadian TV.

The Canadian coverage was really very unbiased, Pelletier and Manley were really excellent in that regard.
They believed it should be very close, were mildly surprised that Plushenko was placed second, but agreed with it. Their main sticking point was his slowness in the footwork, I think. And the front-loading, which Canadian commentators have alwas readily pointed out with him, even when it mattered less in 6.0. I would point out too that the front-loading makes his now-laboured footwork sections more obvious, since there is nothing else to carry the performance in the second half. These are things that are scored, and program construction rightly has an influence on PCS.....

Last edited:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Had to rewatch, because that night I didn't care one way or another at all (forgive me for not being a dumb patriot). I was so overwhelmed with Takahashi's bronze, that all I was wating for, were the final standings. I wanted to see the official confirmation, that yes, he's podiumed.

Dutch commentators were very composed (as they usually are), and while waiting for the results, said that they liked Lysacek's presentation better, but that Plushenko had more personality/ presence on the ice . They complimented both men and reminded the viewer of the titles each guy'd won in his career.

They also said 'if only Takahashi landed that quad'.

In the end they said a quad seemed no longer to be required for a victory, and also said there were 9 quads landed in these Olympics vs 11 in 2002 (I'm not sure the info is accurate).

Zora

On the Ice
I was watching on German Eurosport most of the time, but after Plushenko's skate I switched to a different German broadcaster for a short moment and the commentator there was talking about how much better Evan's footwork was, more difficult, more creative.. I think he prefered Evan to win.
Eurosport guys on the other hand thought the result wasn't okay.

(and Daniel Weiss, who did the commentary until the last group, said Kozuka was all about jumps and deserves low component scores :unsure:)

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Dutch commentators were very composed (as they usually are), and while waiting for the results, said that they liked Lysacek's presentation better, but that Plushenko had more personality/ presence on the ice . They complimented both men and reminded the viewer of the titles each guy'd won in his career.

They also said 'if only Takahashi landed that quad'.

The Dutch TV commentators seem like my type of people.

yangjie

On the Ice
sorry but in Japan, commentators said nothing about men's result.

we only congratulated that takahashi got the medal. and we now are focusing on the ladies evernt

Justafan

On the Ice
sorry but in Japan, commentators said nothing about men's result.

we only congratulated that takahashi got the medal. and we now are focusing on the ladies evernt

You obviously have a bit more class over there. Too bad Dai didn't get the Gold...it would have made all of these discussions a moot point!

Bennett

Record Breaker
I watched TV broadcasted by whom I believe to be Takeshi Honda. He was extremely calm throughout their performances and I do not recall his favoring either Plushy or Evan. He cheered for Dai, but he did not fail to point out the UR in his 3-3 in SP.

Last edited:

wonbinfan86

Match Penalty
Ah, Takeshi Honda such an underrated skater... I would like to see Lysacek beat Takeshi's 4cc long program where he landed 2 quad toes and a quad salchow LOL

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Ah, Takeshi Honda such an underrated skater... I would like to see Lysacek beat Takeshi's 4cc long program where he landed 2 quad toes and a quad salchow LOL

So sad that Honda never really go the big titles he deserved. Boy could he jump and his footwork was out of this world.