Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Who won the men's title according to TV commentators around the world?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by yangjie View Post
    sorry but in Japan, commentators said nothing about men's result.

we only congratulated that takahashi got the medal. and we now are focusing on the ladies evernt
    You obviously have a bit more class over there. Too bad Dai didn't get the Gold...it would have made all of these discussions a moot point!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    I thought this blog by Dan Hollander was fair..

http://danhollander.com/olympic-gold...1/#comment-113
    Best quote from that article:

My dad always says, “show me your rules, and I’ll be happy to beat you at your own game.” Evan won by playing by the rules. If you don’t like the rules, don’t play the game and complain that you lost because of them.

I watched TV broadcasted by whom I believe to be Takeshi Honda. He was extremely calm throughout their performances and I do not recall his favoring either Plushy or Evan. He cheered for Dai, but he did not fail to point out the UR in his 3-3 in SP.
    Last edited by Bennett; 02-21-2010 at 12:13 AM.

Banned
    Ah, Takeshi Honda such an underrated skater... I would like to see Lysacek beat Takeshi's 4cc long program where he landed 2 quad toes and a quad salchow LOL

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wonbinfan86 View Post
    Ah, Takeshi Honda such an underrated skater... I would like to see Lysacek beat Takeshi's 4cc long program where he landed 2 quad toes and a quad salchow LOL
    So sad that Honda never really go the big titles he deserved. Boy could he jump and his footwork was out of this world.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Zora View Post
    I was watching on German Eurosport most of the time, but after Plushenko's skate I switched to a different German broadcaster for a short moment and the commentator there was talking about how much better Evan's footwork was, more difficult, more creative.. I think he prefered Evan to win.
    Eurosport guys on the other hand thought the result wasn't okay.

(and Daniel Weiss, who did the commentary until the last group, said Kozuka was all about jumps and deserves low component scores )
    Oh my, does he know anything about ice skating?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by clonesheep View Post
    After Plushenko was done with his performance, Australian (FOXTEL) commentators said he has done enough to win the gold and began to say how incredible his comeback is. Moment later when the score came out, they fell silent.

Plushenko was clearly robbed. That was plain as daylight but of course those who benefited from it will never admit it.
    I was watching on Foxtel and they were saying that it was going to be close, uncertain of if Plush would get it. When his score didn't beat Evan's, the guy just said 'He's short!' That was the only real reaction. No debate or anything. They never said anything about Plush winning. They didn't seem to know who it was going to be.

Unless somehow my broadcast was over-dubbed with completely different commentators who expressed no favourtism, aside from gushing over Patrick Chan's movement across the ice (saying that nobody moves like him), Stephane's spins (saying that they're like an optical illusion), Denis' bright future, joy over Javier's drunken pirate footwork and Adrian's escaped mental patient program... nothing saying 'Skater X deserved to get this place and I disagree with their marks.'

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    You mean people are just making up what commentators said? I can do that, too. Why, here in Stankonia, our commentators said all the men were jive *** turkeys except for Adrian Schultheiss, who was off tha hook and should've won.

Custom Title
    NBC commentators, particularly Sandra Bezic, has listed all the possible faults in Plushenko's program and how bad Plushenko has skated during his skating and before his scores came out.

Medalist
    Thanks for creating this thread. It's been really interesting to read the different reactions to the men's free skate event. I think I like the Dutch's take on commentating the best. Just keep it neutral and describe the positives and negatives of each skater. That's all I ask. It's one of the reasons why I can enjoy the ice dance competition b/c I feel that Tracy Wilson is closer to my ideal, than the other NBC commentators....

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Plushenko was lucky to be on the podium, in my opinion. Everything about his skating (aside from the amazing Triple Axel in the Short Program) was lower in quality than it was 4 years ago. The jumps weren't as crisp. The footwork wasn't nearly as dynamic. He didn't skate with speed or uncontrollable enthusiasm. His edge quality was actually embarrasing by his standards...4 years ago he had the strongest, most-assured edges out of any skater and at this competition he was pretty shallow on his blades and lacked ease between changes of edge. Even the spins were weaker.

I'd love it if we could stop talking about both of these turkeys. The best performances of the competition came from the Japanese men. Takahashi in the SP and Kozuka in the LP. As I said in another thread, I would have had the overall rankings as:

1. Takahashi (1, 3)
    2. Lysacek (2, 4)
    3. Kozuka (6, 1)
    4. Weir (5, 2)
    5. Plushenko (3, 5)
    6. Chan (8, 6)
    7. Lambiel (7, 7)
    8. Oda (4, 8)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Justafan View Post
    You obviously have a bit more class over there. Too bad Dai didn't get the Gold...it would have made all of these discussions a moot point!
    I don't think so, unless Dai were to win with a good quad. If not, Russians would say the same thing they are saying about Evan. To me this result is so clear, I can't believe there is any doubt of the result. Thrashing your hips around for foot work has no scoring point in figure skating, nor should it. Russia is losing its grip as a skating power house. They will not win the dance or ladies. The first time in history this will happen. They have to wake up and smell the coffee. They will blame the world and everything else for a while as they go through this denial phase. Then they have to face the music. They have to realize the Russian skaters have to become a true athlete. They have been known for years for not having stamina and not doing their run throughs. They were able to still win when there were no extra bonus for doing harder elements at the end of program and a more balanced program between jumps and footwork and transition.:banging::banging::banging:
    Last edited by aurora100; 02-21-2010 at 01:34 AM.

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    They have been known for years for not having stamina and not doing their run throughs.
    They have?

Tripping on the Podium
    I have to tell you,the actual Chinese commentator of the competition said it could go either way.And She was OK with the result. Definitely not a joke for her.

Medalist
    I just can't rememberfor sure was it Eurosport or National TV2 I watched, I followed both just to listen what both commentators think, they both are Finnish, though. But the commentator I listened was sure after Evgeni had skated that it was the performance worth of gold and was quite suprised it wasn't. But she (a lady commentator, Eurosport has a male, too) said maybe the unclean landings had so much effect. She liked Evan, too. I think it was Eurosport, sorry I never remeber the names. Finns, Is Anuliisa Uotila on tv2?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast