Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 82

Thread: Who won the men's title according to TV commentators around the world?

  1. #31
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,659
    Quote Originally Posted by Justafan View Post
    You obviously have a bit more class over there. Too bad Dai didn't get the Gold...it would have made all of these discussions a moot point!
    don't wish the backlash on Dai that Evan has gotten.

  2. #32
    ~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,685
    Quote Originally Posted by watchvancouver View Post
    So who won the men's title according to TV broadcasters around the world?

    Russian commentators are furious.
    NBC(USA) is giddy.
    Canada is siding with Evan because their next biggest hope is a 3A-less Chan.
    Chinese commentator believes the result is a joke.
    British commentators were shocked by judges' decision.

    How about other countries?
    Hungarian? German? Swedish? Spanish? Turkish? Japanese?

    I know Eurosports broadcasted the men's final in multiple-languages. I'm just curious to see what the other countries' commentators had to say about the results.
    Your comment about "Canada siding with Evan because thier next biggest hope is a 3A-less Chan" is absolutely silly and unfounded. Where do you people come up with these gems? Canadians know a winning program when they see it. Chan did not deliver his best skate, so was marked accordingly. Evan had the skate of the night. The hype around Plushenko and the quad almost ruined it for all of the skaters. Under the old judging system Plushenko probably would have been awarded the Gold medal because he was first in the short program, but under the new judging system the better skate won the day - which is how it supposed to work. Case closed.

  3. #33
    Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    646
    I think whatever pain Evan is suffering from this backlash is more than offset by the perks of being an Olympic champion.

  4. #34
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,659
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    I think whatever pain Evan is suffering from this backlash is more than offset by the perks of being an Olympic champion.
    true, but I like Dai's skating, and I think his fans would have to deal with a whole lot of the same as what Evan's fans are. Evan is blissfully unaware of what's being said (I hope) and thank God for that it'll calm down eventually.

  5. #35
    Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    646
    If the Dice man had won gold, he'd be the first Japanese man to win gold in figure skating, and the first Japanese athlete to win gold at these games. He'd be heralded as the ultimate hero in Japan and become a huge media sensation. Figure skating is currently a much higher profile sport in Japan than in the US. And unlike in the US, where Evan had to share the spotlight with Shaun White and Lindsey Vonn and other American gold medalists, Daisuke would have the stage all to himself unless a Japanese lady wins gold later. If Daisuke had won, his fans would be too busy going over a mountain of news articles, media appearances and CD releases related to him to worry about any backlash.

  6. #36
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,659
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    If the Dice man had won gold, he'd be the first Japanese man to win gold in figure skating, and the first Japanese athlete to win gold at these games. He'd be heralded as the ultimate hero in Japan and become a huge media sensation. Figure skating is currently a much higher profile sport in Japan than in the US. And unlike in the US, where Evan had to share the spotlight with Shaun White and Lindsey Vonn and other American gold medalists, Daisuke would have the stage all to himself unless a Japanese lady wins gold later. If Daisuke had won, his fans would be too busy going over a mountain of news articles, media appearances and CD releases related to him to worry about any backlash.
    oh to live in that fantasy...

  7. #37
    Gadfly and Bon Vivant Mafke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,390
    Polish commentors on Eurosport were a little underwhelmed by Plushenko's performance (usually they're are very pro-Russian in general and pro-plushenko in particular and if it's close between a NAmerican and Russian they root for the Russian).

    The more knowledgeable one said it wasn't up to his euros lp and wasn't sure if he'd done enough to win.

  8. #38
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    Your comment about "Canada siding with Evan because thier next biggest hope is a 3A-less Chan" is absolutely silly and unfounded. Where do you people come up with these gems? Canadians know a winning program when they see it. Chan did not deliver his best skate, so was marked accordingly. Evan had the skate of the night. The hype around Plushenko and the quad almost ruined it for all of the skaters. Under the old judging system Plushenko probably would have been awarded the Gold medal because he was first in the short program, but under the new judging system the better skate won the day - which is how it supposed to work. Case closed.
    Are you serious? Chan was marked accordingly and case closed? Case reopened. Chan got a personal best for that skate. Marked accordingly? Canada is the worst when it comes to this. First, created the "Own the Podium" crap, then strong armed the judges into overmarking Chan, D/D, Virtue&Moir, and will overmark Joannie Rochette.
    Under no judging system does that skate warrant a personal best. Please.

  9. #39
    Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,784
    The "own the podium crap" was an attempt to duplicate the success the Aussies had when they mounted a similar program prior to their Olympics ( They may have gone farther, recruiting athletes and coaches from all over the world.) Any country would pull out all the stops to try to make a good showing at a home games. It has been a boon to athletes in many sports who usually have to scrimp and scrape for every penny of financial support. I'm very glad they had it and hope it won't be completely withdrawn when the games end.

    Virtue and Moir overmarked ...
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 02-21-2010 at 03:44 AM.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Are you serious? Chan was marked accordingly and case closed? Case reopened. Chan got a personal best for that skate. Marked accordingly? Canada is the worst when it comes to this. First, created the "Own the Podium" crap, then strong armed the judges into overmarking Chan, D/D, Virtue&Moir, and will overmark Joannie Rochette.
    Under no judging system does that skate warrant a personal best. Please.
    Chan's 160 pts in his free skate is certainly boosting his already inflated ego. He now believes if he skates clean, he'll win 2014 OGM... At least two skaters should have been placed ahead of Chan in this competition, the 3rd Japanese guy and Johnny.

    Since many top skaters are not going to Torino, there's a real possibility this hooligan can win the world title next month to do exactly what he did at this Olys, which is to splat 3a.

    I certainly don't hope to see this guy in competitions next season with those ridiculous marks. It's better he just skips the season.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 02-21-2010 at 07:06 AM.

  11. #41
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    true, but I like Dai's skating, and I think his fans would have to deal with a whole lot of the same as what Evan's fans are. Evan is blissfully unaware of what's being said (I hope) and thank God for that it'll calm down eventually.
    He's not unaware. NBCOlympics had an article where he said he was hurt by Plushenko's comments because he'd looked up to Plushenko.

  12. #42
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    57
    It was funny how the turkish commentator reacted for the result. After Plushenko skated, he was so sure that Plushenko had won the event, started to say how perfect he was, his artistry, his jumps and that he was going to get another gold medal. When the results were announced, he could only say "...and this is not enough. He wins the silver!" , apparently he was in sudden shock. After all, he started to say how perfect Evan was, his artistry and his jumps just like he said about Plushenko lol. No surprise. He still doesn't understand much about figure skating, even though he has been making commentary for more than 10 years.

  13. #43
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by caelicola View Post
    Derluking just to add my little colour piece.
    In Italy the commentators Franca Bianconi and Valentina Marchei were positive that Plushenko had the win, going as far as deeming him "superhuman", and were genuinely flabbergasted when he didn't win.
    actually I thought that Fusco was the more positive about Plushenko winning...Bianconi and Marchei said something like "yes, I think he did enough to win, but let's wait to see what will the judges think about it" (because they previously thought that weir could be before chan and maybe also lambiel, and it didn't come out!)

  14. #44
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by kiz_4Ever View Post
    actually I thought that Fusco was the more positive about Plushenko winning...Bianconi and Marchei said something like "yes, I think he did enough to win, but let's wait to see what will the judges think about it" (because they previously thought that weir could be before chan and maybe also lambiel, and it didn't come out!)
    Yeah, sorry, I always try to forget about Fusco.
    But you're right, he was absolutely certain, while the women were more cautious. Just shows what he knows.

  15. #45
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by caelicola View Post
    just shows what he knows.
    lol

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •