Ladies Practice Reports | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ladies Practice Reports

M

mylastduchess

Don't know what you've been watching this season. Mao has not been anywhere near Kim on GOE, with or without 3axel. Even if she lands her axels, she is fighting to counter Yuna's COP with GOE but that's not a given. Which is the reason why she is hanging on to axels for her dear life. Because that's only her chance to match Yuna. It's far from certain that even with successful axels she can beat Yuna because Mao is not anywhere near on par with Kim on COP.

She beat her COP in Korea... she had 2 bad skates before that

aurora100

Final Flight
Your attitude is kind of robotic. Not everyone has to like Yu-Na, ok?

--'

Until the 2008/2009 season, Mao used to receive higher PCS than Yu-Na. Everybody knows it, except you. Mao's PCS at 4CC were a bit harsh and should've been higher.

But 2009/09 season was so yesterday. This is 2010 Olympics, a long time in a competitive calendar. This is not about everyone liking Yuna. It's about comparing their recent performances. And the fact is each time out Mao got soundly beaten by Yuna.

M

mylastduchess

Another post going back to last season, and ignoring the fact that each time out Mao was creamed by Kim this season.
what are you talking about? 4cc was just a month ago, and why can't Mao beat Yu-na in Cop exactly she regularly gets bonuses for her spins/footwork/spirals etc.

yangjie

On the Ice
Don't know what you've been watching this season. Mao has not been anywhere near Kim on GOE, with or without 3axel. Even if she lands her axels, she is fighting to counter Yuna's COP with GOE but that's not a given. Which is the reason why she is hanging on to axels for her dear life. Because that's only her chance to match Yuna. It's far from certain that even with successful axels she can beat Yuna because Mao is not anywhere near on par with Kim on COP.

haha , its funny.

i think that you seemed to think Mao is plushenko and yu-na is evan.

but i have to say that yu-na is not a all- around skater. everybody knows that mao's spin and steps are much better than yuna's.

i think that mao can beat yuna with successful 3As.
in addition, you should know that yu-na always made some miskates at the big competitions

RumbleFish

Rinkside
Kwan came to see YuNa's practice. You can see her face here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TuQJjMl7BA

Boy, Michelle looks beautiful as ever.
Has there been any new videos of her appearing in GMA?

As for Yuna, I think she looks solid and her chances for gold look pretty good.
I do hope she decides to continue competing into Sochi no matter what the outcome of these games turns out to be.
Last thing I want from her is coming back just before the next Olympics, wanting to repeat only with big jumps, finger swinging, and pelvic thrusts. :laugh:

Last edited:

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice

bekalc

Record Breaker
haha , its funny.

i think that you seemed to think Mao is plushenko and yu-na is evan.

but i have to say that yu-na is not a all- around skater. everybody knows that mao's spin and steps are much better than yuna's.

i think that mao can beat yuna with successful 3As.
in addition, you should know that yu-na always made some miskates at the big competitions

How is Mao having better steps= Yu-na isn't an all around skater. Yu-na's steps aren't exactly bad. Kim is normally faster than Mao, and has more transitions/choregraphy too than Mao right now. Both girls have their strengths and weaknesses.

adoreyuna

Rinkside

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
From http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/6833800/figure-skatingasada-hoping-axel-unseat-yuna

Figure skating-Asada hoping Axel can unseat Yuna
Reuters - February 21, 2010, 8:55 pm

VANCOUVER, Feb 20 (Reuters) - Where Yevgeny Plushenko failed to convince Winter Olympic judges that performing a quad should deliver gold, Japan's Mao Asada is hoping a spectacular jump of her own can unseat figure skating favourite Kim Yuna.

Asada is one of the few women who attempt the triple Axel, a challenging 3-1/2-revolution jump, and was pinning her hopes on the maneouvre upstaging South Korea's world champion Yuna when the women's competition gets under way on Tuesday.

Speaking to reporters on Saturday just hours after stepping off her plane, 2008 world champion Asada was convinced she could offset Yuna's technical and artistic superiority by pulling off the move in the short programme and two in her free skate.

"Today I practised (the jumps) and the success rate of the Axel wasn't too bad, I really hope to challenge myself by performing these," Asada, who is expected to be the only woman to attempt the soaring jumps in Vancouver, said through a translator.

"So I'm really going to go all out in the short programme."

Born 20 days apart, 19-year-olds Yuna and Asada have been rivals from almost the moment they first strapped on their skates and are expected to provide the ultimate showdown in Vancouver after the athletic Japanese skater rediscovered her jumping prowess at last month's Four Continents competition.

Since then Asada has spent hours training with such gusto that she is confident her hard work will pay off.

"After the Four Continents, I thought I felt really good and said the probability of me winning gold in Vancouver was 80 percent. After that I trained more and feel I'm in better shape than the Four Continents," said Asada.

In case anyone had forgotten, Asada's team mate and 2007 world champion Miki Ando reminded everyone that being the reigning world champion or the favourite does not necessarily translate into an Olympic title.

While the last two women Olympic gold medallists Sarah Hughes and Shizuka Arakawa upset the favourites to triumph in 2002 and 2006, in Vancouver all the hype surrounding Plushenko and his famed quad jumps could not save the Russian from ending up second best to American Evan Lysacek.

"In the world, Kim Yuna is considered as the strongest favourite and I believe that she's a great skater," Ando said

"In the Olympics nobody can predict what will happen as in the end of the men's free skate. In some cases, athletes regarded as the strongest favourites could fail."

(Editing by Miles Evans; To query or comment on this story [email protected])

UM84

On the Ice
Yu-na equals what Sasha could of been if she was more consistant and more driven.

Figure88

On the Ice
well, one of things that made me think that Evan had a chance against Plushenko, provided that Plushenko made mistakes (which he did), were the type of scores they were getting all season, particularly the season's best scores. The judges, I've noticed, were pretty consistent with scoring them according to what they were getting in their past performances of the season. It may explain why some men were getting higher scores than others despite making more mistakes (they were scoring similarly in previous competitions). This is the ladies' version:

1 210.03 Yu-Na KIM KOR ISU GP Trophee Eric Bompard [#1]
2 185.94 Miki ANDO JPN ISU GP Final 2009/2010 [#7]
3 183.96 Mao ASADA JPN 4 Continents Championships 2010 [#3]
4 182.90 Joannie ROCHETTE CAN ISU GP Skate Canada 2009 [#5]
5 176.66 Akiko SUZUKI JPN ISU GP Cup of China 2009 [#6]
6 174.91 Rachael FLATT USA ISU GP Skate America 2009 [#10]

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71244

Figure88

On the Ice
:rofl: The apocalypse is rising already and the ladies' event doesn't even start until Tuesday night. Oh boy, cyberspace will never be the same after Tuesday night. Enjoy these times everyone, the tempest is coming!

Tell me about it. The men's competition is nothing compared to what's already happening with the ladies. I wonder if OP created this thread just to bash certain skaters. The trolls, I mean posters are crawling out of the woodworks here just to opine on the ladies competition.

Last edited:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Tell me about it. The men's competition is nothing compared to what's already happening with the ladies. I wonder if OP created this thread just to bash certain skaters. The trolls, I mean posters are just crawling out of the woodworks here just to opine on the ladies competition.

Doesn't make it the OP's fault.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
I hate what this thread's become. Some posters are such trolls, trying to shield their subjective opinions with so-called "evidence" and feigned objectivity :disapp: And yangjie, I actually think Yu-na's the closest we have to a total package skater, complete with consistency and fire. She's the favorite for a reason. Mao's definitely close, but she can be so off at times. Mao may have hit a SB at 4CC, but that LP was soulless. The TEB skate, however, was stunning, in spite of mistakes. At times like these, I miss the Kween. No one can rival her emotional effusiveness & intensity. She was a total package skater. No one's at her level yet.

Yu-na's 3Lz-3T is definitely back. I couldn't find anything on the other skaters (except what's already on this thread) :scowl:, but I did read that Yu-na made a mistake on the 3S and went back to do it again perfectly. The 3F looked great. I love her 3F-3T :love:, wish she would bring it back to competition. Maybe she could do two 3-3s in her LP, drop that 2A-3T, bring back the 3L when she has nothing to lose.

I thought Joannie had an official practice. I saw photos... Any details?