Ladies Practice Reports | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Ladies Practice Reports

Johnnnn

On the Ice
Is Patrick Chan's skating skills that great?

I think so in terms of SKILLS although I prefer Lambiel. Chan has great skills but kinda lacks artistry. (choreography and artistry is a different thing. Chan's programs is full of choreography but it doesn't really feel artistic compared to Lambiel's)

Plus, his big mouth doesn't really help me forming positive image about him either lol

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think so in terms of SKILLS although I prefer Lambiel. Chan has great skills but kinda lacks artistry. (choreography and artistry is a different thing. Chan's programs is full of choreography but it doesn't really feel artistic compared to Lambiel's)

Plus, his big mouth doesn't really help me forming positive image about him either lol

Patrick said in an interview that he's a very bad dancer and feels uncomfortable dancing so I kind of see that in his skating, he doesn't emote to the music much or really feel his choreography. His basic skating and edging are excellent though.

Iscariot

On the Ice
Here are the three Japanese ladies, with the piece especially on Mao.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=796HJ61oBww

Her triple axels are looking good, but seem to be underrotated. Hopefully she can skate performances she will be proud of :)

Also, it seemed as if she's gone back to doing the triple axel right in front of the judges! :love::laugh::thumbsup:

The bit on Joannie :cry: I feel so sorry. Brave girl to skate but she did seem really sad.
Agree! I cant just imagine what Joannie is going through:(

Johnnnn

On the Ice
OK I just saw Mao practicing with her new costume. WHAT IS SHE WEARING??? Am I the only one who thinks her new costume is NO NO ??

miki88

Medalist
Someone posted Mao and Miki's costumes in the ladies SP thread. Mao's costume. She did away with the ruffles but........ it's definitely unique though.

Ren

On the Ice
You're not alone. Too much lace? There were fans who have snarked she was auditioning for a vampire movie. I wish to see her in a simpler, flowing/floaty dress, because that's what her best skating looks like.

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
I'm intrigued by the mindset of all competitors.

For Kim's entourage, she, Orser and her father have all come out and had the "come what may" approach. Mao seems a bit different in that she's directly stated that she's after a medal, and that her aim is gold.

miki88

Medalist
I'm intrigued by the mindset of all competitors.

For Kim's entourage, she, Orser and her father have all come out and had the "come what may" approach. Mao seems a bit different in that she's directly stated that she's after a medal, and that her aim is gold.

I think Orser is thinking of gold all along. Yuna's winning is like him winning that gold which eluded him. From reports, Orser still seems bummed about that even though he says he got over it. (just my opinion though). Mao's just says what comes to her mind. She's like a kid sometimes. ^_^

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
I think Orser is thinking of gold all along. Yuna's winning is like him winning that gold which eluded him. From reports, Orser still seems bummed about that even though he says he got over it. (just my opinion though). Mao's just says what comes to her mind. She's like a kid sometimes. ^_^

Of course Orser is thinking about gold, but I like the fact that he's telling Kim that the gold is not a given and that she must skate well in order to earn it. Not a bad approach to have. It keeps you honest and focused at the task, not the end result.

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
From http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?bicode=070000&biid=2010022303488

Two figure skaters drew public attention yesterday at the Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver, the venue of the women’s figure skating competition of the Winter Olympics.

World champion Kim Yu-na of Korea and rival Mao Asada of Japan held their first encounter at the rink ahead of their anticipated showdown this week.

The two skaters attended the draw for the short program scheduled for tomorrow, the first time they saw each other since the Grand Prix competition Trophee Eric Bompard in Paris in October last year.

Both are age 20 and friends off the ice but remain archrivals on the rink. Since both seek to achieve a lifelong dream by winning the Olympic gold, they even avoided looking each other in the eyes.

Kim and Asada held an open practice after the draw for the order of performances at the competition. The two concentrated on the short program with the "007 James Bond Medley" and “Bells of Moscow” playing.

Kim was the first to practice and pulled off eight moves, starting with the triple lutz and the triple toe loop combination. More than 1,000 spectators who paid to enter the rink to see Kim gave her plenty of applause throughout her performance.

She gave an immaculate performance but exercised extra caution in steps and spins, finishing her practice without making a single mistake. Afterwards, Kim said, “I tried to perform just as I practiced in Toronto. It was a good drill overall.”

Asada conducted open practice an hour after Kim. Arriving in Vancouver Sunday, she practiced spins and steps but shunned jumps, while trying to adapt to the ice on the rink. She practiced the triple flip, double toe loop and double toe loop combination, a move for free skating, in succession. She then attempted a triple axel, one of her trademarks. She landed after one spin on her first attempt.

Asada looked as if she was struggling, but then pulled off three triple axels. She had said while practicing in Japan that she will focus on the triple axel, but showed better success than before.

Kim skipped her afternoon practice but Asada proceeded with hers.

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
From http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jf6Ksn_Mk-IhpcMbh5at4V6GaycA

Kim eyes Asada as rivals share first practice

By Emmeline Moore (AFP) – 45 minutes ago

VANCOUVER — Olympic favourite Kim Yu-Na cast an eye over at Japanese rival Mao Asada as the two gold-medal hopefuls shared the ice for the first time at the Pacific Coliseum on Monday.

Wearing black leggings and top, Kim, 19, confidently ran through her free skate to Gershwin's Concerto in F, landed triple-triple jumps, and also did sections from her James Bond short programme for Tuesday night during a 35-minute training session.

She had earlier watched as Asada, wearing her pink free skate costume, presented her Rachmaninov "Bells of Moscow" routine, in which the 19-year-old landed the difficult triple axel jump.

Kim -- who has lost just twice in the past two seasons, both times to Asada, at the 2008 worlds and the 2008-2009 Grand Prix final -- skated just after the Japanese star.

By contrast Asada skated around the edge of the rink with her gaze averted when the Korean performed.

"When you're on the ice I think it's human to take a glance over," said Kim's coach Brian Orser.

He said that world champion Kim was feeling at home on the ice.

"With each day she becomes more confident," said the Canadian coach.

"Today was a turning point. I was proud of her that she took command of the practice.

"The Olympics is different from every other competition in the planet. Having confidence in what you do on the ice helps."

Orser said that Kim was doing her best to deal with the pressure to bring home South Korea's first figure skating gold, and first ever title outside short-track and long-track.

"I felt relief when South Korea took their first gold medal (of the Vancouver Games)," he said.

"I don't think she paid too much attention. She was proud but the pressure is off her to be the one and only."

The five-skater practice group also included Japan's Akiko Suzuki, Finn Laura Lepisto and Alena Leonova of Russia.

Grieving Canadian Joannie Rochette later put her personal sadness to one side as she once again practiced, showing her determination to compete despite the tragic death of her mother Therese on Sunday.

"I saw Joannie like she usually is before competition," said Skate Canada president Benoit Lavoie.

"All the levels and spins were there and there was no hesitation. It's her decision, but at this point it's looking pretty good.

"We are ready for any situation. She may decide a minute beforehand she won't skate."

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Yu-na running through her LP on the olympic rink

Clean free. Jumped 17 times, all successfully. She's looking great. In an interview, she said she's never been in a better condition since Worlds 2009. That bodes well.

In all of her practices, she's made only two mistakes, one in a 3S, which she then insisted on doing perfectly right after, and another on a 3F, which she popped when another skater came too close. I'm hoping her 3F jitters are now gone. I also hope she blows us away tomorrow! :rock:

Last edited:

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
It always bothers me that all of the comments in articles about Yu-Na, how she is skating, feeling, etc. come from Brian Orser, her coach... she holds interviews, etc., but her own comments never seem to make it to press. On the other hand, Mao's own words always get printed, rarely Tatiana's (her coach). I feel so bad for Joannie... this is absolutely the worst moment for her to have to skate. Even if she won the OGM, it would be bittersweet since the memory would always bring back her mother's memory as well. How devastating :(

Another thing to ask: has anyone seen Mao practice a 3F+3Lo OR 3F+3T in practice? I was watching a Japanese show commenting on Mao's skating (the LP in particular) at 4CC's, and they mentioned that she planned to have another triple in combination with her first 3F (they did not mention if it was supposed to be the 3T or 3Lo). Then on slow-motion replay, they noted "she couldn't do the second triple because of lack of speed coming out of the 3F." I was pretty surprised to hear this, since she hasn't attempted this combination all season or at Nationals (but has done it successfully in the past). Anything from her practice reports?