Ladies Practice Reports | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Ladies Practice Reports

Artistry

On the Ice
I am so not rooting for yuna. I'm just sick of all the Mao hate put on boards by Yuna's obsessed fans in the past year, talking like she can do no wrong.
Please. She's never really made an emotional impact on me before, and now I like her well-oiled machine less and less, Orser included.
I also can't stand when her fans can't seem to handle any objective criticism of any of her elements, edges, positions, interpretations and so on.

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
As for the Yu-na's "signature spin". it is not easy,but I have seen some young skaters are doing it. And they can do it pretty well.I personally do not like it at all. It is ugly. Caroline's pearl spin is the one which is extremely difficult. I do not think not many skaters can do it.

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
I am so not rooting for yuna. I'm just sick of all the Mao hate put on boards by Yuna's obsessed fans in the past year, talking like she can do no wrong.
Please. She's never really made an emotional impact on me before, and now I like her well-oiled machine less and less, Orser included.
I also can't stand when her fans can't seem to handle any objective criticism of any of her elements, edges, positions, interpretations and so on.
Thank you. I agree with you totally. It is getting tooooooo much. They need to get the idea that Yu-na is a great skater,but not that great. there are so many other skaters in the world that can do better elepents thatn Yu-na in ther head.

Darcy518

Spectator

I'm kinda worried about Elena Glebova. A Korean newspaper allegedly published an article saying she intentionally obstructed the Korean skaters in one of the group practices, and what believed to be Yuna's obsessed fans have left nasty comments on her web guestbook. I hope Elena is alright.

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice

Yeah, Mao doesn't have any extreme fans so that's why I like her.

RumbleFish

Rinkside
It isn't arguing, it's making a point. If you don't want a response, don't make blanket statements that are presented as fact when they are opinion. Yu-Na's layover camel spin is beautiful, but you made a statement impying that no one else can do it (proven to be not true) and then asked to see video clips of the examples (shown). I just provided you with that. (Also, yes, the Harding spin is different... which is why I said to look at the 3rd clip in which the skater does have their back parallel to the ground). As for the head tilting back, that's just a matter of choreography... as you can see Yu-Na also tilts her head back and drops her shoulders at times: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Camel_yuna1.jpg . It is a layover camel spin... the camel variation comes from the fact that a camel spin, by definition, is a spin in which the free leg is extended backwards with the knee above hip-level... perhaps the layover part makes it feel more like a layback variation. There is such minute difference between Zhang and Asada's spin and the picture of Yu-Na's spin that you could hardly call them a different type of spin... it would be like differentiating between Biellman spins by how big the arch of the back is or if the head is tilted up towards the ceiling or straight forward.

Well, let the girls bring their On Par With Yu Na bent-leg layover camels to the competition.
Like I said before, I will be happy to see and appreciate them. That is, if I see one of course.

BTW, how do you know tilted head and shoulders are just a part of a choreography?
Have you choreographed them yourself?
Who is the one making the blanket statement here. SIGH

jeanettetan

On the Ice

ITA. Yuna's fans (and yuna's coach) are starting to make me dislike her too, even though all these might have nothing to do with her. I find myself hoping that someone else wins. Oh yes, and I'm not a Japanese or Korean.

Trewyn

Medalist
I'm kinda worried about Elena Glebova. A Korean newspaper allegedly published an article saying she intentionally obstructed the Korean skaters in one of the group practices, and what believed to be Yuna's obsessed fans have left nasty comments on her web guestbook. I hope Elena is alright.

OMG seriously? How awful for Elena! She probably unintentionally got in the way of Yu Na once and now she has the biggest figure skating fanbase known to mankind hunting her down. Poor girl. I sort of agree with Aristry; it's a well oiled machine Yu Na has going and they really are not afraid to slander any other skater in the Korean press (eg last year's Four Continents articles about how 'Japanese skaters were obstructing her warm-up' then the so called incident of the sunflower seeds that Yu Na insinuated made her miss her flip in the LP at TEB...) sigh. There's enough drama about the Mao/Yu Na rivalry on ice and on the skating boards. It's so getting on my nerves. Yu Na is a very deserving skater and if she nails her programs in Vancouver she'll be a worldwide respected Olympic Champion. But any more fake drama surrounding her in the press and I might lose my respect for her. Even though I know that it might be the doing of Korean journalists and not just Yu Na personally...

newvie

Rinkside
I like the fact that Mao and Yuna are different. They have their own strong points and characteristics that it's really difficult to say who's better.
Some people would appreciate Mao's qualities more while some would prefer those of Yuna.
That's why I'm not very fond of Mirai. She's really great, but her skating reminds me a lot of that of Yuna. I don't know if it's natural or strategic, but I think she should build her own style if she really wants to be considered a top skater. (Technically, i believe she's almost there)

Back to the topic, I heard the official practice went very well for all the skaters and I'm happy to hear that.
I hope everyone will wow us with their best performances tonight.

miki88

Medalist
I don't blame the skaters themselves. But some (not all) are just too blind in their devotion toward her that they show no respect to any other skater. I just can't stand the some of the dissing done to the Japanese skaters especially Mao. Sometimes I have to remind myself that since this is a sport after all, rival dissing is common and they diss Mao and Miki because they actually see them as threats. Hopefully, it will cool down after the Olympics.

Darcy518

Spectator
Totally agree with you, Trewyn. Let's cheer for Elena and all the skaters who'll compete in the SP today!

woshisunnya

Rinkside
For me, one side, i relly annoyed with the Korean media, it is almost go crazy these days and all the news just make me less like yuna more and more. But on the other side, I also think what can yuna do about this? I mean she's already asked her fans to quiet down,what's can she do more? Something against her countryman? I really can't image what she will face if she said someting like that and I think one reason that she chose to trained oversea is to get away from the media attention. It is really sad for a girl like her age to face these kind of pressure, and I still like her skating but I have a very bad feeling that she will crush in this Oly under the whole country's pressure. Best luck to her.

Bennett

Record Breaker

That's sad. The guestbook a day before the comp is supposed to be filled with encouragements and support. I hope that she doesn't read it and they can hire a webmaster who filters such comments. The skaters all share the ice, everyone is so focused on their practices. They are skating towards various directions doing different things. If Skater A is in the way of Skater B, Skater B is in in the way of Skater A. That's what it means to share the ice.

ryoko

Rinkside
Thank you. I agree with you totally. It is getting tooooooo much. They need to get the idea that Yu-na is a great skater,but not that great. there are so many other skaters in the world that can do better elepents thatn Yu-na in ther head.

WOW. In a sense you are just the same as other extremists. Why can't you see it? Unless I am blind, maotas here are just as brutal and nasty as some yuna-bots.
EVERYTIME there is some good comments about yuna, there always is some nasty comments about how others do better-
Artistry, I see some serious yuna hate on the boards just as much as I see mao hate and both need to STOP.
You justed started another yuna hate. don't you just get it???
And of course, it's always "them" who would do these things, huh?
I'm so disgusted by people who love to generalize and NEVER see both sides.
I may be disgusted by some crazy mao fans but that doesn't stop me from appreciating mao's skating. Have some respect and dignity. geez.

katymay

Medalist
Neither Yuna nor Mao are the skaters they once were. Yuna used to do triples that vaulted across the ice like the best male jumper, and Mao?-used to be light as a feather with confident beautiful jumps. In their prime, I think they were the best two figure skaters to EVER step on the ice, but time, body changes, injuries etc. happen. The point? I think it is anyones' game. I would not be surprised to see Mirai up there after the short-Mirai is on her way up, and sadly, Mao and Yuna seem to be on their way down. (Am I in favor of eliminating the age requirement? You better believe it.)
I would love to see all of the top eight skaters skate clean-wouldn't that be something?

Trewyn

Medalist
BTW, I'm a fan of Ms. Kim as well as Ms. Asada and have absolutely zero interest in on-line catfights. But check this video out and see if anyone can identify the one who caused Ms. Kim's fall at the end? I thought that was a terrible thing to do to a fellow competitor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNnVdivSA7E&feature=related

I really shouldn't respond to people digging up old drama; but I felt like I had to because it apparantly concerns a Belgian skater Isabelle Pieman also competing at these Olympics. She's likely going to finish last, so she really had nothing to gain by boycotting Yu Na's runthrough. From this angle it looks like she just Yu Na just had a toe pick issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab0YZ5XG53o&feature=related

yunasashafan

On the Ice
OMG seriously? How awful for Elena! She probably unintentionally got in the way of Yu Na once and now she has the biggest figure skating fanbase known to mankind hunting her down. Poor girl. I sort of agree with Aristry; it's a well oiled machine Yu Na has going and they really are not afraid to slander any other skater in the Korean press (eg last year's Four Continents articles about how 'Japanese skaters were obstructing her warm-up' then the so called incident of the sunflower seeds that Yu Na insinuated made her miss her flip in the LP at TEB...) sigh. There's enough drama about the Mao/Yu Na rivalry on ice and on the skating boards. It's so getting on my nerves. Yu Na is a very deserving skater and if she nails her programs in Vancouver she'll be a worldwide respected Olympic Champion. But any more fake drama surrounding her in the press and I might lose my respect for her. Even though I know that it might be the doing of Korean journalists and not just Yu Na personally...

It wasn't Yuna's camp who complained. It was Min-Jeong's coach who thought that Elena was yelling at her. It was a misunderstanding. Talk about jumping to conclusions!