Ladies Practice Reports | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Ladies Practice Reports

yunasashafan

On the Ice
ITA. Yuna's fans (and yuna's coach) are starting to make me dislike her too, even though all these might have nothing to do with her. I find myself hoping that someone else wins. Oh yes, and I'm not a Japanese or Korean.

Please do not base your assessment of a skater on her crazy fans' behavior. Every skater has a group of dedicated and sometimes delusional fans, even the greats such as Michelle Kwan. The difference for Kim is that figure skating is new in Korea and she is a total global phenomenon. The fact that her main competitor is from Japan is not helping either. Mao has equally uber fans. That does not stop me from appreciating the great talents that those girls bring to skating.

bmelanie

On the Ice
OMG seriously? How awful for Elena! She probably unintentionally got in the way of Yu Na once and now she has the biggest figure skating fanbase known to mankind hunting her down. Poor girl. I sort of agree with Aristry; it's a well oiled machine Yu Na has going and they really are not afraid to slander any other skater in the Korean press (eg last year's Four Continents articles about how 'Japanese skaters were obstructing her warm-up' then the so called incident of the sunflower seeds that Yu Na insinuated made her miss her flip in the LP at TEB...) sigh. There's enough drama about the Mao/Yu Na rivalry on ice and on the skating boards. It's so getting on my nerves. Yu Na is a very deserving skater and if she nails her programs in Vancouver she'll be a worldwide respected Olympic Champion. But any more fake drama surrounding her in the press and I might lose my respect for her. Even though I know that it might be the doing of Korean journalists and not just Yu Na personally...

I just want to point out that Yuna did not insinuate that the sunflower seeds obstructed her. She missed her flip because she felt something on the blade of her skate and said as much. Then Yuna fans noticed that a fan had thrown sunflowers (that had not been wrapped properly) onto the ice before Yuna's turn, and that afterwards the flower girls had taken a few minutes to pick up the seeds. Yes, saying that Yuna missed her flip because of the seeds is an absolutely unfair assumption, but Yuna never said nor insinuated such. Moreover, throwing things that have not been properly wrapped/will potentially leave a mess on the ice is a big no-no.

quikrush

Rinkside
I'm a devoted Yuna fan and all this Yuna hate really saddens me. I also dislike the media frenzy in her home country as well as some 'fans' who definitely should know better, but it only makes me feel more protective for the girl. I so desperately wish she was of some other nationality where she doesn't have to face this kind of crazy nationalism on top of everything else. But what's done is done...and I can only pray for her and wish her the best of luck.

Trewyn

Medalist
It wasn't Yuna's camp who complained. It was Min-Jeong's coach who thought that Elena was yelling at her. It was a misunderstanding. Talk about jumping to conclusions!

I'm not jumping to conclusions. I'm not a Mao fan. Not a Yu Na fan, in fact I'm not really a fan of any of the girls competing tonight. I wrote my comment based on the horrible things I read at Glebova's guestbook. Whether or not Yu Na was involved in this (and I clearly insinuated that she might not be); this drama has taken a toll on an Estonian girl who's done nothing to deserve it. And it's not the first time something like this happens. All I'm saying. No more, no less. It probably *is* a misunderstanding, but that doesn't take away the damage that is done.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
I'm not jumping to conclusions. I'm not a Mao fan. Not a Yu Na fan, in fact I'm not really a fan of any of the girls competing tonight. I wrote my comment based on the horrible things I read at Glebova's guestbook. Whether or not Yu Na was involved in this (and I clearly insinuated that she might not be); this drama has taken a toll on an Estonian girl who's done nothing to deserve it. And it's not the first time something like this happens. All I'm saying. No more, no less. It probably *is* a misunderstanding, but that doesn't take away the damage that is done.

My jumping to conlcusions comment was directed at the fans who went and wrote those horrible things on Glebova's guestbook. Sorry I wasn't clear. It just saddens me so much that Yuna gets affected, even indirectly, by the nastiness of her fans

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
mmm... agreed with Trewyn, it looks more like Yu-Na tripped on her toe pick rather than was so startled she fell. Yu-Na's been in plenty of competitions, which means plenty of warm-up sessions where skaters come much closer to each other than that. she didn't exactly cut in front of Yu-Na either; she was just skating a little further off the side of the rink than she should have been. But what is the relevancy? This is from a year ago.

For me, one side, i relly annoyed with the Korean media, it is almost go crazy these days and all the news just make me less like yuna more and more. But on the other side, I also think what can yuna do about this? I mean she's already asked her fans to quiet down,what's can she do more? Something against her countryman? I really can't image what she will face if she said someting like that and I think one reason that she chose to trained oversea is to get away from the media attention. It is really sad for a girl like her age to face these kind of pressure, and I still like her skating but I have a very bad feeling that she will crush in this Oly under the whole country's pressure. Best luck to her.

There is a good article that includes Yu-Na's reasoning for moving her training to Toronto and what it's like for her in Korea written by the LA Times. I linked it in this thread: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?31210-LA-Times-4-page-article-on-Yu-Na-Kim

Here is the full article: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/11/sports/la-sp-olympics-kim11-2010feb11

And just to show how famous she is in Korea... if she wins the OGM, she will earn 17 MILLION DOLLARS this year. Yu-Na has been making an estimated 9 million dollars a year now (not including all of the Olympic bonuses this year). The article also talks about her charity work, which is astounding. Yu-Na funds the entire Korean Skating Federation's program for Junior skaters. Definitely a gold medal heart, no matter what happens at the Olympics.

Tanja90

On the Ice
Oh please! stop this non stopping yuna vs mao!! It's a thread about trainings! create another thread just for yuna and mao because honestly I'm tired to read seventeen pages all saying the same things of the past three years trying to find out something about the other skaters! and if there isn't nothing about the others this is not an excuse to continues this arguments because everybody has his7her own opinion and noboby will change his/her mind..

mariposa

Rinkside
Bennett- I'd like to add to the above list...I have not heard Cynthia Phaneuf mentioned anywhere...any reports??anywhere???

Trewyn

Medalist
My jumping to conlcusions comment was directed at the fans who went and wrote those horrible things on Glebova's guestbook. Sorry I wasn't clear. It just saddens me so much that Yuna gets affected, even indirectly, by the nastiness of her fans

Oh, okay :) Sorry I got defensive ;)

Phoenix347

Final Flight
A message for Joannie Rochette: This must a very trying time to you. Your decision to continue skating in the competition is very courageous. I wish you the best and also peace in your heart.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure the blue dress Mirai is wearing in her practice video is a practice dress. Her LP is Carmen so I have no doubt she"ll wear red.

figuristka

Medalist
I was hoping for Joannie to medal, now i just want her to skate well and give comfort to herself. The men's Free i felt disappointed, then what happend to joannie, but the Ice dancing event brought some joy back.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
I was hoping for Joannie to medal, now i just want her to skate well and give comfort to herself. The men's Free i felt disappointed, then what happend to joannie, but the Ice dancing event brought some joy back.

I have a feeling Joannie will do really well.