Ladies Practice Reports | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies Practice Reports

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
Hasn't the flip been a bother to her all season though?

I guess skipping some of the footwork makes sense.

Her 3-flip has been giving her problems all season. She omitted it from her LP at TEB, fell on it on her LP at SA and popped it in her SP at GPF. She's 3/6 this season, so Brian Orser has been working on it a lot. I think skipping some footwork _if_ she misses her lutz (unlikely, since it's her money jump since she started having issues with her flip) is a good idea though.

Apparently her 3-flip is very consistent in practice so it'll be up to how she does it during her programs. Orser commented once that she did 12 out of 12 flips perfectly during a practice session, so it's all about how she'll do it in her programs.

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
She probably wants a private rink for her extra practice time besides the warm up time. Miki also has a private rink to practice I think, because I read she says she needs to practice by herself.

That's cool, but hopefully both get some decent practices in at the real rink because there's no doubt each rink feels different.

Wrlmy

Medalist
I know! It's so bad... Videos like Yu-Na's 3-3 downgrade is FAIR, Mao's triple axel is 1.75 turns, Yu-Na got plastic surgery, Mao is retarded, Yu-Na eat dogs, Mao eat whales etc.:cry:

I really hope they stop...:mad::mad:

It will be exciting event though!! I can't wait!
:love:

:agree:

Sorry but that made me crack up lol. I just tried to not even look at those videos when I visit youtube, so I didn't realize the level of riidiculousness of those videos.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I don't know. Those 2ts looked pretty under-rotated after a while. I'm definitely cutting back on my donation.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Pshhhaw. That's nothing compared to Shizuka's 3T-3T-2T-2T-2T-2T:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6csWtMQhSY
and her thirty-seven jump combo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3lT3dQoU10

Kidding. :laugh:

lol well there also was her 3S+3T+3Lo combination
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx3RluvzPmU&feature=related

I bet Miki is practicing those 2Lo's because so many have been downgraded for many skaters throughout the season.... and as we saw in the men's competition... a 2Lo could win it :hehe:

I really wish Mao would put a 3-3 into her program (particularly the short)... she has a beautiful 3Lo+3Lo, but hasn't competed with it. If she had continued working on her 3F+3Lo combo instead of shoving it aside for the 3A, it would probably be just as consistent as Yu-Na's 3-3 by this point. It still sort of feels like Mao is doing the 3A's for the record books... but if she does nail them, then what? Retire or try to get more records? Go for a quad at 20? It's a very strange mentality.

I think the funniest thing about the article is te "putting your eggs all into one basket," because as far as the LP goes, Yu-Na's 3-3 is very much similar (although more consistent) to Mao's 3A+2T... disregarding those big jumps, both Mao and Yu-Na are pretty evenly matched on PCS scores and the ability to earn +GOE's on other elements. It's quite different from the Mens competition in which Lyasek really milked CoP and Plushenko didn't. In Mao and Yu-Na's case, they both have programs designed to get every possible point available under CoP.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I don't know. Those 2ts looked pretty under-rotated after a while. I'm definitely cutting back on my donation.

I think the she probably did that combo just to warm up or something. It still looked pretty cool even if the rotation was iffy

miki88

Medalist

I bet Miki is practicing those 2Lo's because so many have been downgraded for many skaters throughout the season.... and as we saw in the men's competition... a 2Lo could win it :hehe:

I really wish Mao would put a 3-3 into her program (particularly the short)... she has a beautiful 3Lo+3Lo, but hasn't competed with it. If she had continued working on her 3F+3Lo combo instead of shoving it aside for the 3A, it would probably be just as consistent as Yu-Na's 3-3 by this point. It still sort of feels like Mao is doing the 3A's for the record books... but if she does nail them, then what? Retire or try to get more records? Go for a quad at 20? It's a very strange mentality.

I think the funniest thing about the article is te "putting your eggs all into one basket," because as far as the LP goes, Yu-Na's 3-3 is very much similar (although more consistent) to Mao's 3A+2T... disregarding those big jumps, both Mao and Yu-Na are pretty evenly matched on PCS scores and the ability to earn +GOE's on other elements. It's quite different from the Mens competition in which Lyasek really milked CoP and Plushenko didn't. In Mao and Yu-Na's case, they both have programs designed to get every possible point available under CoP.

I don't feel Mao's programs this season are very CoP friendly~~~~and she's at a disadvantage in the PCS dept because of lack of transitions. Looks like those transitions are what counts at these Olympics. ^_^ I wish Mao should really bring back Fantasie-Impromptu. That program was just packed with everything~~~

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
I don't feel Mao's programs this season are very CoP friendly~~~~and she's at a disadvantage in the PCS dept because of lack of transitions. Looks like those transitions are what counts at these Olympics. ^_^ I wish Mao should really bring back Fantasie-Impromptu. That program was just packed with everything~~~

Agreed. Her programs this year don't seem particularly CoP friendly. She doesn't have as many transitions, doesn't have a huge variety of jumps and although her music probably won't negatively impact her PCS, it doesn't bring out her soft, youthful quality and so probably won't boost her PCS. I just wish Mao would work on her weaknesses and come back fresh, but maybe that's for next season.

Also, transitions seem to count for a lot these Olympics. Chan didn't have a particularly good FS but still got huge points for it because of his PCS and transitions.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker

I agree. Yuna's PCS are normally higher than Mao's, especially because Mao is more prone to mistakes this season and when you make mistakes the PCS score goes down. Mao also does not have much choreography in her programs this year, particularly the LP, to me it seems like background music for her jumps, especially because the 3a has such a long, distracting setup and she does two of them. It's a gamble that will be worth it if she lands and rotates the axels, but otherwise Yuna is at a big advantage. Plus Yuna is a SP skater and will likely have a big lead going into the FS.

Johnnnn

On the Ice

You are kidding, right?? lol If you have been following figure skating recently, it's impossible to say that Mao can match Yuna in terms of PCS and GOES. Maybe that is what you want?

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
I agree. Yuna's PCS are normally higher than Mao's, especially because Mao is more prone to mistakes this season and when you make mistakes the PCS score goes down. Mao also does not have much choreography in her programs this year, particularly the LP, to me it seems like background music for her jumps, especially because the 3a has such a long, distracting setup and she does two of them. It's a gamble that will be worth it if she lands and rotates the axels, but otherwise Yuna is at a big advantage. Plus Yuna is a SP skater and will likely have a big lead going into the FS.

I agree with most of your post, except the part about Yuna having a big lead going into the FS. It's the Olympics, the ice is slippery and Yuna was beaten in the SP at the GPF. Mao lands a 3a-2t, 3Lo and 2a and she's right in contention. Miki lands a 3Lz-3Lo, 3F and 2a and she's right there in contention too. Yuna might have a big lead, but only if she skates lights out like she did for the period of 2009 Worlds to 2009 SA.

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
You are kidding, right?? lol If you have been following figure skating recently, it's impossible to say that Mao can match Yuna in terms of PCS and GOES. Maybe that is what you want?

I agree with you.

Issues about overscoring, unfair judging and whatever aside, it is what it is. Kim did a 3-2 and UR'd her 2a-3t at the GPF and scored a pretty monstrous total of 124ish, considering her cautious skate. If Mao misses her 3a, she'll do well but not as well as when she was loading her programs with difficulty, controlled aggression and great transitions.

miki88

Medalist
I agree with most of your post, except the part about Yuna having a big lead going into the FS. It's the Olympics, the ice is slippery and Yuna was beaten in the SP at the GPF. Mao lands a 3a-2t, 3Lo and 2a and she's right in contention. Miki lands a 3Lz-3Lo, 3F and 2a and she's right there in contention too. Yuna might have a big lead, but only if she skates lights out like she did for the period of 2009 Worlds to 2009 SA.

I think Yuna will probably do very well in the SP. But I also feel the judges at the Olympics will make the scores closer than what we've seen at previous competitions unless everyone else makes mistakes. The scores were all pretty close for pairs and men, so I think the judges want the race to be decided in the LP (it makes for good ratings :) )

Johnnnn

On the Ice
Miki Ando's score was really inflated at GPF (PCS and GOE suddenly goes through the roof, in her home country JAPAN - you get the idea). Also, if it weren't for that ridiculous downgrade, Yuna won SP at GPF.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

You have a point, I guess I'm just going on results from this season, where Mao failed to do a clean SP and Miki didn't do the 3-3. If those two are clean, and Yuna is clean, Yuna's lead will likely only be 5 points or so, maybe less.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I think the she probably did that combo just to warm up or something. It still looked pretty cool even if the rotation was iffy

I'm kidding. This under-rotation crap is a load of bunk. Under-rotation is a jump quality issue, should not result in a massive loss of points via a downgrade and should be addressed in GOE. And it definitely shouldn't cut back on anybody's donations.