Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies Practice Reports

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by bethissoawesome View Post
    lol well there also was her 3S+3T+3Lo combination
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx3Rl...eature=related

I bet Miki is practicing those 2Lo's because so many have been downgraded for many skaters throughout the season.... and as we saw in the men's competition... a 2Lo could win it :hehe:

I really wish Mao would put a 3-3 into her program (particularly the short)... she has a beautiful 3Lo+3Lo, but hasn't competed with it. If she had continued working on her 3F+3Lo combo instead of shoving it aside for the 3A, it would probably be just as consistent as Yu-Na's 3-3 by this point. It still sort of feels like Mao is doing the 3A's for the record books... but if she does nail them, then what? Retire or try to get more records? Go for a quad at 20? It's a very strange mentality.

I think the funniest thing about the article is te "putting your eggs all into one basket," because as far as the LP goes, Yu-Na's 3-3 is very much similar (although more consistent) to Mao's 3A+2T... disregarding those big jumps, both Mao and Yu-Na are pretty evenly matched on PCS scores and the ability to earn +GOE's on other elements. It's quite different from the Mens competition in which Lyasek really milked CoP and Plushenko didn't. In Mao and Yu-Na's case, they both have programs designed to get every possible point available under CoP.
    I don't feel Mao's programs this season are very CoP friendly~~~~and she's at a disadvantage in the PCS dept because of lack of transitions. Looks like those transitions are what counts at these Olympics. ^_^ I wish Mao should really bring back Fantasie-Impromptu. That program was just packed with everything~~~

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    I don't feel Mao's programs this season are very CoP friendly~~~~and she's at a disadvantage in the PCS dept because of lack of transitions. Looks like those transitions are what counts at these Olympics. ^_^ I wish Mao should really bring back Fantasie-Impromptu. That program was just packed with everything~~~
    Agreed. Her programs this year don't seem particularly CoP friendly. She doesn't have as many transitions, doesn't have a huge variety of jumps and although her music probably won't negatively impact her PCS, it doesn't bring out her soft, youthful quality and so probably won't boost her PCS. I just wish Mao would work on her weaknesses and come back fresh, but maybe that's for next season.

Also, transitions seem to count for a lot these Olympics. Chan didn't have a particularly good FS but still got huge points for it because of his PCS and transitions.
    Last edited by Marrymeyunakim; 02-20-2010 at 08:58 PM.

Custom Title
    I agree. Yuna's PCS are normally higher than Mao's, especially because Mao is more prone to mistakes this season and when you make mistakes the PCS score goes down. Mao also does not have much choreography in her programs this year, particularly the LP, to me it seems like background music for her jumps, especially because the 3a has such a long, distracting setup and she does two of them. It's a gamble that will be worth it if she lands and rotates the axels, but otherwise Yuna is at a big advantage. Plus Yuna is a SP skater and will likely have a big lead going into the FS.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bethissoawesome View Post
    lol well there also was her 3S+3T+3Lo combination
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx3Rl...eature=related

I bet Miki is practicing those 2Lo's because so many have been downgraded for many skaters throughout the season.... and as we saw in the men's competition... a 2Lo could win it :hehe:

I really wish Mao would put a 3-3 into her program (particularly the short)... she has a beautiful 3Lo+3Lo, but hasn't competed with it. If she had continued working on her 3F+3Lo combo instead of shoving it aside for the 3A, it would probably be just as consistent as Yu-Na's 3-3 by this point. It still sort of feels like Mao is doing the 3A's for the record books... but if she does nail them, then what? Retire or try to get more records? Go for a quad at 20? It's a very strange mentality.

I think the funniest thing about the article is te "putting your eggs all into one basket," because as far as the LP goes, Yu-Na's 3-3 is very much similar (although more consistent) to Mao's 3A+2T... disregarding those big jumps, both Mao and Yu-Na are pretty evenly matched on PCS scores and the ability to earn +GOE's on other elements. It's quite different from the Mens competition in which Lyasek really milked CoP and Plushenko didn't. In Mao and Yu-Na's case, they both have programs designed to get every possible point available under CoP.
    You are kidding, right?? lol If you have been following figure skating recently, it's impossible to say that Mao can match Yuna in terms of PCS and GOES. Maybe that is what you want?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I agree. Yuna's PCS are normally higher than Mao's, especially because Mao is more prone to mistakes this season and when you make mistakes the PCS score goes down. Mao also does not have much choreography in her programs this year, particularly the LP, to me it seems like background music for her jumps, especially because the 3a has such a long, distracting setup and she does two of them. It's a gamble that will be worth it if she lands and rotates the axels, but otherwise Yuna is at a big advantage. Plus Yuna is a SP skater and will likely have a big lead going into the FS.
    I agree with most of your post, except the part about Yuna having a big lead going into the FS. It's the Olympics, the ice is slippery and Yuna was beaten in the SP at the GPF. Mao lands a 3a-2t, 3Lo and 2a and she's right in contention. Miki lands a 3Lz-3Lo, 3F and 2a and she's right there in contention too. Yuna might have a big lead, but only if she skates lights out like she did for the period of 2009 Worlds to 2009 SA.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnnn View Post
    You are kidding, right?? lol If you have been following figure skating recently, it's impossible to say that Mao can match Yuna in terms of PCS and GOES. Maybe that is what you want?
    I agree with you.

Issues about overscoring, unfair judging and whatever aside, it is what it is. Kim did a 3-2 and UR'd her 2a-3t at the GPF and scored a pretty monstrous total of 124ish, considering her cautious skate. If Mao misses her 3a, she'll do well but not as well as when she was loading her programs with difficulty, controlled aggression and great transitions.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrymeyunakim View Post
    I agree with most of your post, except the part about Yuna having a big lead going into the FS. It's the Olympics, the ice is slippery and Yuna was beaten in the SP at the GPF. Mao lands a 3a-2t, 3Lo and 2a and she's right in contention. Miki lands a 3Lz-3Lo, 3F and 2a and she's right there in contention too. Yuna might have a big lead, but only if she skates lights out like she did for the period of 2009 Worlds to 2009 SA.
    I think Yuna will probably do very well in the SP. But I also feel the judges at the Olympics will make the scores closer than what we've seen at previous competitions unless everyone else makes mistakes. The scores were all pretty close for pairs and men, so I think the judges want the race to be decided in the LP (it makes for good ratings )

Custom Title
    Miki Ando's score was really inflated at GPF (PCS and GOE suddenly goes through the roof, in her home country JAPAN - you get the idea). Also, if it weren't for that ridiculous downgrade, Yuna won SP at GPF.

Custom Title
    You have a point, I guess I'm just going on results from this season, where Mao failed to do a clean SP and Miki didn't do the 3-3. If those two are clean, and Yuna is clean, Yuna's lead will likely only be 5 points or so, maybe less.

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I think the she probably did that combo just to warm up or something. It still looked pretty cool even if the rotation was iffy
    I'm kidding. This under-rotation crap is a load of bunk. Under-rotation is a jump quality issue, should not result in a massive loss of points via a downgrade and should be addressed in GOE. And it definitely shouldn't cut back on anybody's donations.

Custom Title
    I think Yuna will probably do very well in the SP. But I also feel the judges at the Olympics will make the scores closer than what we've seen at previous competitions unless everyone else makes mistakes. The scores were all pretty close for pairs and men, so I think the judges want the race to be decided in the LP (it makes for good ratings )
    Why would the judges do that though... I doubt the judges will be holding back, considering the pretty monstrous totals the men got. 2006 where Shizuka, Sasha and Irina were pretty much even after the SP was because they had pretty similar skates. But if someone skates well in the SP and is the clear leader, why wouldn't there be a substantial lead?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    I'm kidding. This under-rotation crap is a load of bunk. Under-rotation is a jump quality issue, should not result in a massive loss of points via a downgrade and should be addressed in GOE. And it definitely shouldn't cut back on anybody's donations.
    Agreed. Underrotations are load of crock and bull; it should factor into GOE, not bring the base value of a whole jump when completing the jump was clearly far more difficult than executing a jump with one less rotation.

Custom Title
    Why would the judges do that though... I doubt the judges will be holding back, considering the pretty monstrous totals the men got. 2006 where Shizuka, Sasha and Irina were pretty much even after the SP was because they had pretty similar skates. But if someone skates well in the SP and is the clear leader, why wouldn't there be a substantial lead?
    There likely will be, especially if only a few women land 3-3s. If Yuna does her gorgeous 3lz-3t and Miki does the 3-2 and Mao has her 3a UR, Yuna will have a big lead (unless Carolina does 3f-3t and is clean) and it will be deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnnn View Post
    Miki Ando's score was really inflated at GPF (PCS and GOE suddenly goes through the roof, in her home country JAPAN - you get the idea). Also, if it weren't for that ridiculous downgrade, Yuna won SP at GPF.
    You're right. If Yu-Na didn't get the 3T downgraded, she would've won the SP. But Miki's scores were deserved. And the GOEs Miki received in the LP at the GPF are not that different from the ones she received at Rostelecom Cup.

Custom Title
    I think Mao will be given the benefit of the doubt on her 3A if she lands it and it's close to 1/4 underrotation. Same applies for any other landed 3-3. IMHO, that's as far as the judes can and would go about trying to keep the scores close.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast