Ladies Practice Reports | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Ladies Practice Reports

sillylionlove

Medalist
I have a feeling that it might be possible that the ladies event will not turn out the way we all think that it might. I have a feeling that there are many surprises in store....then again I could be totally wrong!!

Trewyn

Medalist
I have a feeling that it might be possible that the ladies event will not turn out the way we all think that it might. I have a feeling that there are many surprises in store....then again I could be totally wrong!!

I have the feeling everything will be exactly the way we think, with Yu Na on top. Just a hunch of mine. But I sort of hope there'll be *some* surprises. Some excitement please!

M

mylastduchess

You must be kidding lol Yuna has much better layback and sitspin positions and much faster. The only thing that Mao does better than Yuna is the biellmann position. Also, Mao lacks edge quality and skating skills compared to Yuna. Mao has a lot of turns and twizzles in her step but lacks speed and it takes her very long time to get to the other side of the rink. That is why her straight line step sequence is usually longer than others . Also, Yuna is proved to be stronger in big competitions than Mao.
Mao's flexibility is probably the best out of the top skaters, her positions in her spins/spirals are very strong. what exactly do you mean by Mao lacking edge quality and skating skills? You have seen her skate right?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Mao's flexibility is probably the best out of the top skaters, her positions in her spins/spirals are very strong. what exactly do you mean by Mao lacking edge quality and skating skills? You have seen her skate right?

I think Mirai's flexibility is equal or better to that of Mao, have you seen her biellman? Mao is very flexible but apparently she often looses levels on her spins and spirals because she does not hold them long enough. Her edging isn't the best, she kinda drags her skates in crossovers, but if she does her spins and spirals and holds them long enough, they are beautiful and get good scores.

M

mylastduchess

I think Mirai's flexibility is equal or better to that of Mao, have you seen her biellman? Mao is very flexible but apparently she often looses levels on her spins and spirals because she does not hold them long enough. Her edging isn't the best, she kinda drags her skates in crossovers, but if she does her spins and spirals and holds them long enough, they are beautiful and get good scores.
Yeah I agree Mirai does have the best flexibility on the field but I was comparing Mao to top medal favourites

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yeah I agree Mirai does have the best flexibility on the field but I was comparing Mao to top medal favourites

Oh, yeah, then you are right. Yuna's spirals are really good though even though the leg isn't in a full split...they move really fast. Joannie and Miki are known more for their jumps than flexibility, and Carolina's so long limbed that her spirals look really nice but again not a full split. Lepisto has nice spirals but the extension isn't the best.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
I actually think Mirai has a decent chance for a medal IF she's doesn't get dinged for UR's. And of course the most flexible skater recently (though not at Vancouver) is Caroline Zhang, aka human pretzel.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I actually think Mirai has a decent chance for a medal IF she's doesn't get dinged for UR's. And of course the most flexible skater recently (though not at Vancouver) is Caroline Zhang, aka human pretzel.

I certainly hope so! How I would love Mirai to win a medal :)

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
Here are the three Japanese ladies, with the piece especially on Mao.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=796HJ61oBww

Her triple axels are looking good, but seem to be underrotated. Hopefully she can skate performances she will be proud of :)

Also, it seemed as if she's gone back to doing the triple axel right in front of the judges! :love::laugh::thumbsup:

The bit on Joannie :cry: I feel so sorry. Brave girl to skate but she did seem really sad.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
☆Genie;474668 said:
I do think mao's spins are better than Yu-Na's. They are more pretty.

Yuna isn't known for her spins, though. She does enough to get level 4 and pretty good GOE but her high scores come from her great jumps with huge GOE and her PCS.

miki88

Medalist
Here are the three Japanese ladies, with the piece especially on Mao.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=796HJ61oBww

Her triple axels are looking good, but seem to be underrotated. Hopefully she can skate performances she will be proud of :)

Also, it seemed as if she's gone back to doing the triple axel right in front of the judges! :love::laugh::thumbsup:

The bit on Joannie :cry: I feel so sorry. Brave girl to skate but she did seem really sad.

Right in front of the judges? Won't that make her more nervous though.......

Johnnnn

On the Ice

You must realize that spins and spirals are not all about positions and flexibility. Mao's spiral position is very good but her ice coverage, speed, and edge use is not that impressive (she got Lv3 a lot). Also, her back position in her layback spin is just weird. With both hands on her head and her back tilted a little towards the side... she changed that position a little bit recently so that's good. It looks like she's flexible with her legs but not so much with her back. I am not a big fan of Yuna's free leg position in her layback spin either but at least her back position is perfect. Yuna's long legs probably throw her off balance if she raises them higher during the layback spin. Now, about the edge quality and skating skills, Mao is not bad but compared to Yuna, not so good. Mao can't do inna bauer (which requires strong edge control) and she doesn't use deep edges in her steps. It' just like Lysacek's skating skills and edge quality is not bad but not that great compared to Patrick Chan.

Johnnnn

On the Ice

I think it is better idea to do her 3A away from the judges. I've seen judges standing up just to see if she fully rotated 3A or not.

If she's going for high GOE, judges should at least be able to see the jump.

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
You must realize that spins and spirals are not all about positions and flexibility. Mao's spiral position is very good but her ice coverage, speed, and edge use is not that impressive (she got Lv3 a lot). Also, her back position in her layback spin is just weird. With both hands on her head and her back tilted a little towards the side... she changed that position a little bit recently so that's good. It looks like she's flexible with her legs but not so much with her back. I am not a big fan of Yuna's free leg position in her layback spin either but at least her back position is perfect. Yuna's long legs probably throw her off balance if she raises them higher during the layback spin. Now, about the edge quality and skating skills, Mao is not bad but compared to Yuna, not so good. Mao can't do inna bauer (which requires strong edge control) and she doesn't use deep edges in her steps. It' just like Lysacek's skating skills and edge quality is not bad but not that great compared to Patrick Chan.

Can't agree more :laugh:

miki88

Medalist

Is Patrick Chan's skating skills that great? I like his footworks but everything else looks pretty average to me. Mao's layback this season is kinda weird but she had a great position in one of her other laybacks where she puts her hands up in a circle motion. I think that's the standard position. The one she does now is called the sideway layback spin.

Last edited: