Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Joubert - I'm a boy not a man.

Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    Has their been a decision regarding Brian attending Worlds? I don't want to read this whole thread. Thanks.
    There's a test skate scheduled for the French men (other than Amodio) to settle who gets to go. Florent is already in; I think after Olys Brian felt guilty about taking someone's spot, esp. as he was out during Nats (for reasons beyond his control, but still).

I saw other people post about Brian vs. Plush - I don't believe they're friends, but AFAIK they don't dislike each other. Joubert's stated position is that Plushenko is very annoying in press conferences but really nice behind the scenes. Which I believe is a good thing.

Height: Alban Preaubert is 6', though his bad posture makes it difficult to tell... According to their official bios, Tomas is 5'11 and Brian is 5'10 and a half (1.79m).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    There's a test skate scheduled for the French men (other than Amodio) to settle who gets to go. Florent is already in; I think after Olys Brian felt guilty about taking someone's spot, esp. as he was out during Nats (for reasons beyond his control, but still).

I saw other people post about Brian vs. Plush - I don't believe they're friends, but AFAIK they don't dislike each other. Joubert's stated position is that Plushenko is very annoying in press conferences but really nice behind the scenes. Which I believe is a good thing.

Height: Alban Preaubert is 6', though his bad posture makes it difficult to tell... According to their official bios, Tomas is 5'11 and Brian is 5'10 and a half (1.79m).
    Ryan Bradley is 6'0" and is another quad men. So I think being tall is good for quads and bad for everything else. Think about it - who does quads and is inconsistent with other jumps? Bradley, Verner, Joubert, Abbott. Who doesn't do quads but is consistent with the other jumps? Oda, Takahashi, Chan, Weir, Brezina. The first group of men are tall (ish - for skating) and the second group of men are small (ish - by normal standards).

Maybe it's a coincidence but a higher center of gravity will get you more air time, and being bigger/stronger you can jump higher, so for a quad its good. Smaller guys can rotate faster though and a lower center of gravity means more control which in jumps like 3a is essential.

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Well Lysacek is the tallest at 6'2", but Verner is 5'11" and Joubert 5'10". Ryan Bradley is 6' and a lot of skaters are 5'9"-5'10" ish including Plushenko, Abbott, Lambiel, Contesti. So like in ladies shorter people may have the advantage but there are plenty of skaters of average height and a few successful ones who are fairly tall, like Shizuka and Yuna I believe are both 5'6".
    No way Lambiel is an inch over 5'7" to these eyes. I think quite a few of these guys lie about their heights. I think Johnny is 5'9" (and not lying about it!) and in pictures you can see Lambiel is a couple inches shorter than him. I think Brian probably is around 5'10".

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    I think quite a few of these guys lie about their heights.
    Lysacek's height started as 5'11'' back in 2006 and now, without any further growth spurt that I know of, he is 6'2''.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Lysacek's height started as 5'11'' back in 2006 and now, without any further growth spurt that I know of, he is 6'2''.

Hmmm. why would he lie about his height? Isn't being too tall a handicap when it comes to ice skating?

Custom Title
    Brian looks short to me. I don't know if it's because he's stockier than most of the other skaters or what and that's how he looks on my tv.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    He's definitely not 5'11". http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/856...0A760B0D811297
    Chan is listed as 5'7", Lysacek 6'2", Joubert 5'10" and even with Brian's poofy hair Evan is at least 2 inches taller, so 6'1" or 6'2" is probably about right. Chan has poofy hair too but the top of his head comes to Evan's nose and where Chan is young he might be taller than 5'7" in that picture as he is probably still growing.

I am skeptical about some of the skaters' listed heights though. For example, Alena Leonova is listed as 5'5" but there are pictures of her with Ashley and Miki who are both 5'3" and she is slightly shorter. Also, Elene Gedevanishvilli is listed as 5'3" but there is no way she's that tall, she might not even be 5'0", considering Lepisto is 5'5" and Elene doesn't even reach her nose http://i7.tiesraides.lv/800x0s/pictu...vanishvili.jpg

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7