Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Joubert - I'm a boy not a man.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Because KOI cast had been predecided long ago and so far Brian doesnt do shows in Europe, he is not also listed on Art on Ice either that Plush and Lambiel will skate this week and seriously jntfan you like to light fire out of nowhere. Plush's show has many skaters inspite of who he likes or not and they vary depending on the country touring. It is business.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Because KOI cast had been predecided long ago and so far Brian doesnt do shows in Europe, he is not also listed on Art on Ice either that Plush and Lambiel will skate this week and seriously jntfan you like to light fire out of nowhere. Plush's show has many skaters inspite of who he likes or not and they vary depending on the country touring. It is business.
    No, I read an article about a bad scene at the Euro press conference. Joubert apparently gave Plush the death stare over comments plushy made about him and then Plushy got up and left.
    What is the big deal? Many skaters are rivals and not friends. Evan and Johnny, of course Yags and Plush and probably many more.
    Evan certainly has a bad feeling about Plushy now and I am sure Plush does not like Evan either.

There is no rule that says skaters must be friends.

Are you supporting the villain theory? come on Joubert is not petrified by Plush He is not that scary. Maybe it was a case at europeans, but then again Jouby went out in sp and nailed it!
    After the outcome of Olys maybe they will be friends now. They share same ideas
    No not Villain theory - the childish theory - they both try tried to outdo each other in worlds practices, i know it happened a number of times but at one worlds - whatever Plush did Joubert would copy and try and do it better...(so i guess i'm actually criticising Joubert!) so if Plush tried e.g. triple axels, that's what Joubert would practice - if it was backspins, the same!

I really do think Brian has some mental fear of Plush. I think he had him pegged as his only competition for a long time which meant that Brina believed he could beat everyone else. The confidence came through. Brian's performances at Europeans LP and both programmes at the Olys were just deflated.

Ant

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    (so i guess i'm actually criticising Joubert!)
    i didnt quoted you because i thought you were critisizing Plush, i just thought you were a little too much harsh on joub

I m not sure Olympics deflate had to do anything with Plush, who had skated 2 hours before. And Dai's score was upthere too before he took the ice. Apart from his personal problems maybe it was the anxiety to reach 90s score.

If he has any mental fear of Plush he should take lessons by Jonnhy
    I'm not intimidated . Not by flowing blond hair. Not by a tanned face. I'm not intimidated by anything

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Huth definitely needs to look at adding some psychologist (and if he has one, changing them immediately!) to his team because he has had some of the skaters with the most raw talent and they are (even at the lower levels) mostly complete headcases. I'm not sure i'd add Meissner to the headcase list - i can't remember her having a programme full of falls or popped jumps (maybe a nationals though because i don't ever see US nationals??). I'd also be reluctant to add Joubert to the list of "headcases" just yetsince he's not been great this season and the Olympics is probably the first proper meltdown I've seen from him. If he can pick himself back up for worlds, one blip shouldn't count. In reality i think I agree with the poster that said they think Brian is just petrified of Pluschenko. Clearly in the past Joubert and Plush would get into pissing contests on practice ice and try to outdo each other and psyche each other out....except that Plush was never affraid of Joubert in the way Joubert was of Plush so it only ever worked against Joubert. I think if Brian continues past worlds (which he says he will) if Plush retires again then we might see brian performing well again.

Ant
    Who is Huth?
    And Kimmie bombed the entire 07-08 and through fall 08 season - she fell 3 times in her FS at nationals and twice in her FS at worlds and was getting FS scores in the 80s at her grand prix events. It was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    I agree about the gorgeous part, and I do think an overly muscular physique doesn't do male skaters any favors (I seem to recall the the decline of Michael Weiss coincided with bulking up but that may have been a coincidence). Tomas Verner is another atypical body type, his shoulder hip ratio seems all wrong for a skater I'm not surprised that he crashes and burns so often I'm surprised he doesn't all the time, his center of gravity must be much higher than a more wiry skater like Plushenko or Lysacek.
    I always thought the decline of Weiss started when he LOST weight around 2003, but that's just MO.

With talk about wide shoulders and narrow hips, Shawn and Vaughn from Canada come to mind, although Shawn is not that big,he just has a wider upper body compared to lower. I actually had wondered in the past if his body type had something to do with his troubles with the 3A (although Vaughn doesn't seem to have problems with that jump, excpet at the Olympics. hmm.)

Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I always thought the decline of Weiss started when he LOST weight around 2003, but that's just MO.
    What I now seem to vaguely remember is that he lost some weight and bulked up in the arms and shoulders at the same time. I remember it was weird and I wondered what he was trying to accomplish. Unless it wasn't medalling again it didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Who is Huth?
    Michael Huth is Tomas Verner's coach, and he also coached Carolina Kostner.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post

With talk about wide shoulders and narrow hips, Shawn and Vaughn from Canada come to mind, although Shawn is not that big,he just has a wider upper body compared to lower. I actually had wondered in the past if his body type had something to do with his troubles with the 3A (although Vaughn doesn't seem to have problems with that jump, excpet at the Olympics. hmm.)
    Shawn Sawyer is 5'4" and Vaughn Chipeur is 5'6" so I think they fall into a different category than Verner and Joubert, who are both around 6 feet tall.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Michael Huth is Tomas Verner's coach, and he also coached Carolina Kostner.
    Oh, yeah. I knew Carolina and Tomas were good friends, that would explain why. If Verner plans to continue, he should look into getting a new coach, preferably in the US or Canada and not Europe . I'm sure plenty of good coaches would be willing to take him on despite his lousy results this year just based on his monster quad and big talent.

Shawn Sawyer is 5'4" and Vaughn Chipeur is 5'6" so I think they fall into a different category than Verner and Joubert, who are both around 6 feet tall.
    Eh, I think Evan is the only six-footer in Men's single skating. I've always thought the 'shorties' have the advantage for medaling.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Eh, I think Evan is the only six-footer in Men's single skating. I've always thought the 'shorties' have the advantage for medaling.
    Well Lysacek is the tallest at 6'2", but Verner is 5'11" and Joubert 5'10". Ryan Bradley is 6' and a lot of skaters are 5'9"-5'10" ish including Plushenko, Abbott, Lambiel, Contesti. So like in ladies shorter people may have the advantage but there are plenty of skaters of average height and a few successful ones who are fairly tall, like Shizuka and Yuna I believe are both 5'6".

Who is Huth?
    And Kimmie bombed the entire 07-08 and through fall 08 season - she fell 3 times in her FS at nationals and twice in her FS at worlds and was getting FS scores in the 80s at her grand prix events. It was bad.
    Michael (i think that' shis first name) Huth who coaches at Oberstdorf in Germany. He was Carolina Kostner's previous coach, Tomas Verner's current coach and coach to other skaters that went to the Olympics too.

I guess I didn't pay much attention Kimmie's GP events I just remember watching one GP event, possibly in 2008 where the downgrade happy caller ended up leaving her low down (8th? ) in the SP despite no clear indication to viewers what had happened.

Ant

Custom Title
    If he has any mental fear of Plush he should take lessons by Jonnhy

I'm not intimidated . Not by flowing blond hair. Not by a tanned face. I'm not intimidated by anything
    Well, Johnny knew that he could not get on the Olympic podium and he's not in the way of Plushenko's. It has actually freed him. So he could just focus on his skating without any major fear. Had Joubert not focused his attention on winning the gold at the Olympics, he could have been a lot calm, and the result would have been different.

I don't think it's a good idea for him to go to Sochi. There are not many skaters like Plushenko. What has been lost is lost. What he can do is to redeam himself in the next two Worlds. I still think that he doesn't have a strong team around him. He really should leave France and go to some other places to find a coach.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 03-04-2010 at 10:43 AM.

Has their been a decision regarding Brian attending Worlds? I don't want to read this whole thread. Thanks.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast