Joubert - I'm a boy not a man. | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Joubert - I'm a boy not a man.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I agree about the gorgeous part, and I do think an overly muscular physique doesn't do male skaters any favors (I seem to recall the the decline of Michael Weiss coincided with bulking up but that may have been a coincidence). Tomas Verner is another atypical body type, his shoulder hip ratio seems all wrong for a skater I'm not surprised that he crashes and burns so often I'm surprised he doesn't all the time, his center of gravity must be much higher than a more wiry skater like Plushenko or Lysacek.

I always thought the decline of Weiss started when he LOST weight around 2003, but that's just MO.

With talk about wide shoulders and narrow hips, Shawn and Vaughn from Canada come to mind, although Shawn is not that big,he just has a wider upper body compared to lower. I actually had wondered in the past if his body type had something to do with his troubles with the 3A (although Vaughn doesn't seem to have problems with that jump, excpet at the Olympics. hmm.)

Mafke

Medalist
I always thought the decline of Weiss started when he LOST weight around 2003, but that's just MO.

What I now seem to vaguely remember is that he lost some weight and bulked up in the arms and shoulders at the same time. I remember it was weird and I wondered what he was trying to accomplish. Unless it wasn't medalling again it didn't work.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

With talk about wide shoulders and narrow hips, Shawn and Vaughn from Canada come to mind, although Shawn is not that big,he just has a wider upper body compared to lower. I actually had wondered in the past if his body type had something to do with his troubles with the 3A (although Vaughn doesn't seem to have problems with that jump, excpet at the Olympics. hmm.)

Shawn Sawyer is 5'4" and Vaughn Chipeur is 5'6" so I think they fall into a different category than Verner and Joubert, who are both around 6 feet tall.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Michael Huth is Tomas Verner's coach, and he also coached Carolina Kostner.

Oh, yeah. I knew Carolina and Tomas were good friends, that would explain why. If Verner plans to continue, he should look into getting a new coach, preferably in the US or Canada and not Europe . I'm sure plenty of good coaches would be willing to take him on despite his lousy results this year just based on his monster quad and big talent.

Shawn Sawyer is 5'4" and Vaughn Chipeur is 5'6" so I think they fall into a different category than Verner and Joubert, who are both around 6 feet tall.
Eh, I think Evan is the only six-footer in Men's single skating. I've always thought the 'shorties' have the advantage for medaling.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Eh, I think Evan is the only six-footer in Men's single skating. I've always thought the 'shorties' have the advantage for medaling.

Well Lysacek is the tallest at 6'2", but Verner is 5'11" and Joubert 5'10". Ryan Bradley is 6' and a lot of skaters are 5'9"-5'10" ish including Plushenko, Abbott, Lambiel, Contesti. So like in ladies shorter people may have the advantage but there are plenty of skaters of average height and a few successful ones who are fairly tall, like Shizuka and Yuna I believe are both 5'6".

antmanb

Record Breaker
Who is Huth?
And Kimmie bombed the entire 07-08 and through fall 08 season - she fell 3 times in her FS at nationals and twice in her FS at worlds and was getting FS scores in the 80s at her grand prix events. It was bad.

Michael (i think that' shis first name) Huth who coaches at Oberstdorf in Germany. He was Carolina Kostner's previous coach, Tomas Verner's current coach and coach to other skaters that went to the Olympics too.

I guess I didn't pay much attention Kimmie's GP events I just remember watching one GP event, possibly in 2008 where the downgrade happy caller ended up leaving her low down (8th? ) in the SP despite no clear indication to viewers what had happened.

Ant

jennylovskt

Medalist
If he has any mental fear of Plush he should take lessons by Jonnhy;)

I'm not intimidated . Not by flowing blond hair. Not by a tanned face. I'm not intimidated by anything

:rock:

Well, Johnny knew that he could not get on the Olympic podium and he's not in the way of Plushenko's. It has actually freed him. So he could just focus on his skating without any major fear. Had Joubert not focused his attention on winning the gold at the Olympics, he could have been a lot calm, and the result would have been different.

I don't think it's a good idea for him to go to Sochi. There are not many skaters like Plushenko. What has been lost is lost. What he can do is to redeam himself in the next two Worlds. I still think that he doesn't have a strong team around him. He really should leave France and go to some other places to find a coach.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Has their been a decision regarding Brian attending Worlds? I don't want to read this whole thread. Thanks.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Has their been a decision regarding Brian attending Worlds? I don't want to read this whole thread. Thanks.
There's a test skate scheduled for the French men (other than Amodio) to settle who gets to go. Florent is already in; I think after Olys Brian felt guilty about taking someone's spot, esp. as he was out during Nats (for reasons beyond his control, but still).

I saw other people post about Brian vs. Plush - I don't believe they're friends, but AFAIK they don't dislike each other. Joubert's stated position is that Plushenko is very annoying in press conferences but really nice behind the scenes. Which I believe is a good thing.

Height: Alban Preaubert is 6', though his bad posture makes it difficult to tell... According to their official bios, Tomas is 5'11 and Brian is 5'10 and a half (1.79m).

silverlake22

Record Breaker
There's a test skate scheduled for the French men (other than Amodio) to settle who gets to go. Florent is already in; I think after Olys Brian felt guilty about taking someone's spot, esp. as he was out during Nats (for reasons beyond his control, but still).

I saw other people post about Brian vs. Plush - I don't believe they're friends, but AFAIK they don't dislike each other. Joubert's stated position is that Plushenko is very annoying in press conferences but really nice behind the scenes. Which I believe is a good thing.

Height: Alban Preaubert is 6', though his bad posture makes it difficult to tell... According to their official bios, Tomas is 5'11 and Brian is 5'10 and a half (1.79m).

Ryan Bradley is 6'0" and is another quad men. So I think being tall is good for quads and bad for everything else. Think about it - who does quads and is inconsistent with other jumps? Bradley, Verner, Joubert, Abbott. Who doesn't do quads but is consistent with the other jumps? Oda, Takahashi, Chan, Weir, Brezina. The first group of men are tall (ish - for skating) and the second group of men are small (ish - by normal standards).

Maybe it's a coincidence but a higher center of gravity will get you more air time, and being bigger/stronger you can jump higher, so for a quad its good. Smaller guys can rotate faster though and a lower center of gravity means more control which in jumps like 3a is essential.

Wicked

Final Flight
Well Lysacek is the tallest at 6'2", but Verner is 5'11" and Joubert 5'10". Ryan Bradley is 6' and a lot of skaters are 5'9"-5'10" ish including Plushenko, Abbott, Lambiel, Contesti. So like in ladies shorter people may have the advantage but there are plenty of skaters of average height and a few successful ones who are fairly tall, like Shizuka and Yuna I believe are both 5'6".

No way Lambiel is an inch over 5'7" to these eyes. I think quite a few of these guys lie about their heights. I think Johnny is 5'9" (and not lying about it!) and in pictures you can see Lambiel is a couple inches shorter than him. I think Brian probably is around 5'10".

lavender

Record Breaker
Brian looks short to me. I don't know if it's because he's stockier than most of the other skaters or what and that's how he looks on my tv.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Lysacek's height started as 5'11'' back in 2006 and now, without any further growth spurt that I know of, he is 6'2''.

He's definitely not 5'11". http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/85...55C51AA01D8BDB3355365981B511FE30A760B0D811297
Chan is listed as 5'7", Lysacek 6'2", Joubert 5'10" and even with Brian's poofy hair Evan is at least 2 inches taller, so 6'1" or 6'2" is probably about right. Chan has poofy hair too but the top of his head comes to Evan's nose and where Chan is young he might be taller than 5'7" in that picture as he is probably still growing.

I am skeptical about some of the skaters' listed heights though. For example, Alena Leonova is listed as 5'5" but there are pictures of her with Ashley and Miki who are both 5'3" and she is slightly shorter. Also, Elene Gedevanishvilli is listed as 5'3" but there is no way she's that tall, she might not even be 5'0", considering Lepisto is 5'5" and Elene doesn't even reach her nose http://i7.tiesraides.lv/800x0s/pictures/2010-01-23/e6ae_lepisto_kostner_gedevanishvili.jpg