Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Cohen not retiring?

Custom Title
    I think she's done competing.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/good...10-Sasha-Cohen

Now we know where the SOI being family friendly quote comes from-Sasha!

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    SOI seems to be a good one. I do not think that she has a huge market in Asia.

Acting does not seem to have worked for her.

Competitive skating.... Placing off the podium at the Olympics is not too bad. Not making the Olympics after trying is also not too bad.

But placing off the podium at Worlds, or not even being able to make the Worlds team.... these seem like too big sacrifice for someone who can have a successful life in pro skating.

The same goes for Fumie, but these two seem very different ppl.
    I like her fashion like idea. She should go to fashion school and then start a skating costume line. She's great at it. She could do that keep skating in shows for a long time. I would looooove to see more Sasha style costumes on the ladies.

I think Sasha can't bring herself to make the plunge and say, yes, I'm retired. Michelle couldn't either for a long time. But she did go to college/grad school and lay down the groundwork for a great future.

Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    I like her fashion like idea. She should go to fashion school and then start a skating costume line. She's great at it. She could do that keep skating in shows for a long time. I would looooove to see more Sasha style costumes on the ladies.

I think Sasha can't bring herself to make the plunge and say, yes, I'm retired. Michelle couldn't either for a long time. But she did go to college/grad school and lay down the groundwork for a great future.
    I once mentioned here that Michelle was retired - and got jumped on by a few of the Kween's fans.
    Talk about dragging it out - I still don't think Michelle has ever "officially retired."

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan
    I like her fashion like idea. She should go to fashion school and then start a skating costume line. She's great at it. She could do that keep skating in shows for a long time. I would looooove to see more Sasha style costumes on the ladies
    I like this idea as well. Her skating experience (and name) will certainly give her an edge when it comes to designing and selling fashions to the current and future crop of skaters.

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    I once mentioned here that Michelle was retired - and got jumped on by a few of the Kween's fans.
    Talk about dragging it out - I still don't think Michelle has ever "officially retired."
    No she hasn't. LOL. I guess she always leaving the door open for a potential comeback.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Well, if both Sasha and Michelle can decide to be satisfied with their impressive competitive records and the legacy of their gorgeous skating, I think they would both be wonderful people to have in the skating world as elder stateswomen. Sasha brings a lot to professional skating and she might even make a good commentator someday. She's certainly well spoken and a good interview.
    Everyone would crave her insight and Michelle's even more. But to be effective at something like this, they must both stop thinking of the current crop of skaters as potential competitors.
    I doubt Sasha will be back on the competitive stage next year. If she is, I'll root for her as always but I think she has a lot to contribute to the skating world besides competing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Sarah Hughes hasn't "officially retired" either. So what?

The Future Mrs. Evan Lysacek #1Kerryfan's Avatar
    She was my favorite skater for years, but in my eyes, she's done. If she couldn't get past the current American skaters at nationals who haven't done well at the international level, there's no way she'd stand a chance against Kim, Asada, Ando, Rochette, etc.
    She was good in her time, one of the best, but she's passed her prime.

Down With It
    Kwan never "officially" put her foot down and say, "I'm DONE", although we all know she is.

Cohen is now doing the same thing. She'll vaguely talk about it without committing one way or the other, but clearly time has run out for her. Besides, I don't even think the reporters are going about it the right way. Has even ONE reporter went up to her and said "So I assume you're done with competitive skating now" rather than, "So what do you think you'll do next?" The former way is more direct, whereas the latter allows for more "wiggle room" and "time to think".

...in my eyes, she's done. If she couldn't get past the current American skaters at nationals who haven't done well at the international level...
    Yes; however, I think she could have and would have skated better than she did with more recent comps under her belt. (She really waited too long to do this.) That said, I look at how Plushenko's comeback turned out, and how the ladies' comp at the Olys turned out- I take it she'd have been in the lower half of the top 10.
    Last edited by R.D.; 03-22-2010 at 07:03 PM.

Medalist
    I have never been a fan of Sasha--something about her attitude I've never liked, she always seemed so arrogant and thought she was better than what she was. I wish she would just retire already and go away! Her comeback just proved she was the same old Sasha, excellent in the sp and completely falls apart in the lp. I don't think she took her comeback seriously, if she did, she would not have waited so long to start training. She needs to change her mindset from just showing up at the arena to getting out on the ice and attacking the program. If she really does comeback for the new season, I will be suprised-she only came back for a chance to get on the Olympic team (if she didn't, then why not comback in 2008, 2009 or 2011?).

If Sasha couldn't have gotten past Rachel, Mirai and Ashley at their best--then there is no way she will be able to beat Yuna, Mao, and the new generation of skaters we always see in the post Olympic season. Sasha is waaaayyyy past her prime/peak. Competitively, this girl is done.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea21307 View Post
    I have never been a fan of Sasha--something about her attitude I've never liked, she always seemed so arrogant and thought she was better than what she was. I wish she would just retire already and go away! ...

If Sasha couldn't have gotten past Rachel, Mirai and Ashley at their best--then there is no way she will be able to beat Yuna, Mao, and the new generation of skaters we always see in the post Olympic season. Sasha is waaaayyyy past her prime/peak. Competitively, this girl is done.
    Your opinion is obviously colored by dislike. Obviously Sasha's age is against her but there are too many older athletes excelling these days to be so pessimistic.

I don't think Nationals was a full gauge of what she can do. She didn't allow any margin of error in scheduling her return to training, and unfortunately injuries ate up some of that precious time. Her practice and SP showed that she was in very competitive shape with the ability to do high-scoring programs. Hopefully she learned that she needs to allow more time in case something goes wrong.

Personally, I'd love to see her give it one more season since she got so close to a full comeback. It would be nice to leave on a higher note. But there is a lot of sacrifice involved. (Like breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And a life.) And she can see that Mirai (to say nothing of Mao and Yu Na) is not going to hand her any easy victory. It's a tough call because she's made it clear that in spite of all the difficulties she loves the thrill of training and competing. I hope she reaches the decision that's right for her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Your opinion is obviously colored by dislike. Obviously Sasha's age is against her but there are too many older athletes excelling these days to be so pessimistic.

I don't think Nationals was a full gauge of what she can do. She didn't allow any margin of error in scheduling her return to training, and unfortunately injuries ate up some of that precious time. Her practice and SP showed that she was in very competitive shape with the ability to do high-scoring programs. Hopefully she learned that she needs to allow more time in case something goes wrong.

Personally, I'd love to see her give it one more season since she got so close to a full comeback. It would be nice to leave on a higher note. But there is a lot of sacrifice involved. (Like breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And a life.) And she can see that Mirai (to say nothing of Mao and Yu Na) is not going to hand her any easy victory. It's a tough call because she's made it clear that in spite of all the difficulties she loves the thrill of training and competing. I hope she reaches the decision that's right for her.
    Sasha never could do much technically though, never had a good 3-3, could never get much height in her jumps, most of the time didn't do 3 jump combinations, never delivered a clean LP etc. It's like when people say if Alissa landed her jumps she'd be unbeatable; that's not actually true. If Alissa landed her jumps and had a more difficult jump layout with 3-3s, bigger and stronger jumps, and more speed, then yes, she would be tough to beat. But Alissa with the current jumps she can do, even if she did go clean, would not be anywhere close to catching Yuna. Sasha is the same way. When she was competing, she could do well because most ladies weren't doing 3-3s. Sasha's spins and PCS can compensate a bit, but where she has always been pretty lacking on the technical side of things, I don't think she can really be competitive with the top at this point. Yuna is just as artistic as her, but has better speed, more difficult programs, and gets huge GOE.

I don't see her beating Mao or Yu Na either, and didn't mean to imply that. But IMO she should be able to beat Rachael with her vastly superior spins, spirals and artistry. Medalling at Nationals is certainly doable if she's in good shape. Beyond that I'm not wildly optimistic but you never know. After all, at the moment there's really only one top lady who does 3-3s on a regular basis without getting downgraded. For all the talk about 3-3s, not too many materialize!

Also, it's a bit exaggerated to say Sasha never had much technically. She exploited COP thoroughly and made the podium in, I think, 21 straight international competitions. You don't do that with two good elements. If you compare her to the top five or so of today, OK, but your statement about the past is not accurate.
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 03-23-2010 at 01:40 PM.

I don't see her beating Mao or Yu Na either, and didn't mean to imply that. But IMO she should be able to beat Rachael with her vastly superior spins, spirals and artistry. Medalling at Nationals is certainly doable if she's in good shape. Beyond that I'm not wildly optimistic but you never know. After all, at the moment there's really only one top lady who does 3-3s on a regular basis without getting downgraded. For all the talk about 3-3s, not too many materialize!

Down With It
    BOTTOM LINE

Cohen is a 2004-2006 era skater. What she did then was good enough for multiple world medals and OLY silver. She was usually one fall away from Gold but what can you do.

The 2010 era skaters- Mirai, Rachel...and internationally, Yuna, Mao...are doing much more difficult stuff. Kim's or Asada's performances I bet would have won any Worlds or Olys between 2003 and 2006 by a landslide. Different times. Different skaters (at least at the top).

So what am I getting at? Cohen tried. She went with a 2005-2006 layout but it wasn't enough in 2010.

I wouldn't tell her to retire but clearly, the evidence is there- her time has passed.

Honestly, RD, your obsession with issuing decrees on Sasha exceeds my desire to argue about her. So believe what you want. As far as I'm concerned, it's up to her and time will tell. I don't really go in for telling skaters what to do.

(Although I admit I came very close with Carolina Kostner.)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast