Too Bad Yags Did Not Return For Olympics Showdown | Golden Skate

Too Bad Yags Did Not Return For Olympics Showdown

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Now that would have really been a showdown if Alexi Yagudin had been in shape to give Plushenko a run for his money. There would have been quality skating plus the quad. He is my favorite Russian Skater. This stupid debate between Evan and Plushenko would have not happened.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Everyone lives in the shadow of what Yagudin accomplished. I don't think we will see anyone for quite some time who is able to deliver performances that are both technically and artistically on the same level. Lambiel had the talent but he never quite pulled it off.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yagudin hasn't skated competitively since 2003, and hasn't at all for the last, what three years at least. A little different than Plushenko who hasn't ever really stopped skating, and who only had three seasons away from competition. It would have been - at best, IMO - Yags in it for bronze. But, he'd have to up his technnical difficulty by leaps and bounds, his footwork - I believe - in 2002 would only count as a level one or two (Kurt Browning commented once on how it LOOKS difficult, but it's all toe work with no variation... and it's teh same basic steps over and over... and Yags himself has said the same)

Justafan

On the Ice
An uninjured Daisuke would've been a suitable heir for Yagudin.

But Dai has so much more style, IMO. I think Yagudin was great jumps but a lot of smoke & mirrors in presentation...Dai is elegant. Of course that apparently doesn't count for much anymore.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
But Dai has so much more style, IMO. I think Yagudin was great jumps but a lot of smoke & mirrors in presentation...Dai is elegant. Of course that apparently doesn't count for much anymore.

It counted enough to give him the highest PCS of the competition. And I cannot disagree more with Yagudin being a mere jumper. The man poured his heart into his skating and interpreting the music, just like Dai. Stylistically, they're, of course, different. Yagudin was the traditional manly warrior type, while Dai wasn't afraid to break with a few gender archetypes. Regardless of that, they are both incredibly soulful skaters with huge jumps and rousing footwork, that's why I suggested Dai as a successor to Yagudin.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It counted enough to give him the highest PCS of the competition. And I cannot disagree more with Yagudin being a mere jumper. The man poured his heart into his skating and interpreting the music, just like Dai. Stylistically, they're, of course, different. Yagudin was the traditional manly warrior type, while Dai wasn't afraid to break with a few gender archetypes. Regardless of that, they are both incredibly soulful skaters with huge jumps and rousing footwork, that's why I suggested Dai as a successor to Yagudin.

Indeed. Takahashi is very special. The time that he managed multiple Quads in a program was unfortunately during his weakest program, though. So I can't say that Takahashi has ever matched Yagudin both technically and artistically in a single program either.

Ren

On the Ice
This is why Daisuke breaks my heart. I saw videos of him before he was injured, and if that Daisuke was the one who showed up in Vancouver, we wouldn't even be talking about Evan and Evgeni. I suppose it was too much to wish Dai to do a Shizuka, which would have at least shut up both US and Russian camps. I know this is kind of off-topic, but for how much longer do you think Daisuke is going to compete? Some reports indicate Worlds 2011, in Tokyo. Think he'll stick around for Sochi? (I hope, but don't really think he'll do.)

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Indeed. Takahashi is very special. The time that he managed multiple Quads in a program was unfortunately during his weakest program, though. So I can't say that Takahashi has ever matched Yagudin both technically and artistically in a single program either.

I disagree about that program being weak, but I do agree, as would any sane observer of the sport, that Yagudin is ahead of Takahashi in the jumping department. Takahashi also lacks Yagudin's consistency, and it shows it their respective medal and title counts. Yagudin will always be an iconic skater and a shining example of how technical prowess can converge with triumphant artistry. However, Takahashi has the superior skating skills and footwork, and is far more versatile in his ability to interpret music and choreography. If Taka wasn't injured and continued his upward trajectory, maybe he could've come close to Yags.

Germanice

On the Ice
Yags had it all: Technique/jumps/the quad, presentation/passion, charisma PLUS, maybe most important, the mental strength to deliver when it really counts. Four out of Four!!!! Some skaters today have 2 out of 4, some even 3 out of 4 but 4 out of 4? Where are the Yagudin's now?

PS: I soooo wished Dai would've made it ... and not this amateur ...!!!
If only he would've landed his quad! :cry:

Last edited:

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
We'll probably still be having this discussion in twenty years time! Alexei is the most complete skater in history and I doubt that anyone will be able to come near to his level, not with this system anyway.
Stephane Lambiel had the potential to come close, but all the requirements of the new system just crushed him.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's really too bad Jeffrey Buttle didn't stay in the game too! A clean Jeff would have easily beaten a clean Evan . . . I believe that with every fiber of my being. :yes:

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
There would be no controversy because Yags programs were CoP-friendly before there was CoP. He was a great champion and proof that you can do a quad and still do a program. I wonder what he thinks about the whole Plushenko controversy. Any quotes in cyber-space from him?

Germanice

On the Ice
So far I haven't heard any. He was completely "out of sight" during Vancouver Men's competition; in Switzerland, where he was in treatment because of some minor injuries.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
From what I've heard, Piseev has approached him. However, the state of Yagudin's injuries is such that returning to competitive condition might have left him pretty much disabled.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Now that would have really been a showdown if Alexi Yagudin had been in shape to give Plushenko a run for his money. There would have been quality skating plus the quad. He is my favorite Russian Skater.
If Alexei were able to come back, I can assure you that he would have known what the new rules are and would have a very COP program. He is still skating and has been since he left when he was able to after his hip surgery. When Alexei competed, gold was the only color he skated for...meaning he was well prepared to get the gold, even if he didn't.

Orion

Rinkside
My favorite figure skater of all time! The best of the best - with that extra special something, to boot! Pure magic!

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
He is the best! The complete package. However, look at what repeat quads did to him. A hip replacement by age 25. Where is the outrage? Also Tim Goebel has problems too. Repeated landings of the quad are just not good for the body.

He is the best! The complete package. However, look at what repeat quads did to him. A hip replacement by age 25. Where is the outrage? Also Tim Goebel has problems too. Repeated landings of the quad are just not good for the body.

You just put your finger on the reason I'm not all that upset that a skater won the gold without a quad. I'm tired of watching the best skaters tear themselves up prematurely just for a jump. I agree, though, that a healthy, strong Yagudin would have been a joy to watch this year. Yagudin truly did have it all, style and substance. So does Daisuke, and he was the one I was rooting for. But he's been hobbled by injuries, too. It worries me that this is the future of men's skating. (Yes, I am a worrywart.)

And if Yagudin had won over, say, Lysacek in a squeaker, no one from any country would have complained. He was one of those skaters who belongs to the world. That kind doesn't come along very often. Yet another reason to give thanks for YouTube!