Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Too Bad Yags Did Not Return For Olympics Showdown

From what I've heard, Piseev has approached him. However, the state of Yagudin's injuries is such that returning to competitive condition might have left him pretty much disabled.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    Now that would have really been a showdown if Alexi Yagudin had been in shape to give Plushenko a run for his money. There would have been quality skating plus the quad. He is my favorite Russian Skater.
    If Alexei were able to come back, I can assure you that he would have known what the new rules are and would have a very COP program. He is still skating and has been since he left when he was able to after his hip surgery. When Alexei competed, gold was the only color he skated for...meaning he was well prepared to get the gold, even if he didn't.

Tripping on the Podium
    My favorite figure skater of all time! The best of the best - with that extra special something, to boot! Pure magic!

He is the best! The complete package. However, look at what repeat quads did to him. A hip replacement by age 25. Where is the outrage? Also Tim Goebel has problems too. Repeated landings of the quad are just not good for the body.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    He is the best! The complete package. However, look at what repeat quads did to him. A hip replacement by age 25. Where is the outrage? Also Tim Goebel has problems too. Repeated landings of the quad are just not good for the body.
    You just put your finger on the reason I'm not all that upset that a skater won the gold without a quad. I'm tired of watching the best skaters tear themselves up prematurely just for a jump. I agree, though, that a healthy, strong Yagudin would have been a joy to watch this year. Yagudin truly did have it all, style and substance. So does Daisuke, and he was the one I was rooting for. But he's been hobbled by injuries, too. It worries me that this is the future of men's skating. (Yes, I am a worrywart.)

And if Yagudin had won over, say, Lysacek in a squeaker, no one from any country would have complained. He was one of those skaters who belongs to the world. That kind doesn't come along very often. Yet another reason to give thanks for YouTube!

Custom Title
    I read from the news that Yagudin was in North Korea recently from 15th to 17th to attend a figure skating event. Kim jung-il is a big figure skating fan, and that event is to celebrate his birthday. :P

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    And if Yagudin had won over, say, Lysacek in a squeaker, no one from any country would have complained. He was one of those skaters who belongs to the world. That kind doesn't come along very often.
    That's so true ! Sigh I miss him.
    I also don't think for a moment that a win by Daisuke (with or without a quad?) would have sparked such a controversy. Alas it was not to be. Let's hope he can stay injury free and skate to his full potential .

Loved, Loved, Loved Yags!

Rinkside
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Yagudin had a degenerative bone disease that effected his hips and forced him out of competitive skating.

As far as I know he got a hip (hips?) replacement and is able to skate again in ice shows, but will probably never be able to skate at an elite level again.

A real tragedy though, such a great athlete and artist.

HIP REPLACEMENT?! Seriously? Wow, I didn't know that..

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bladerunnerz View Post
    As far as I know he got a hip (hips?) replacement and is able to skate again in ice shows, but will probably never be able to skate at an elite level again.

A real tragedy though, such a great athlete and artist.
    With a hip replacement not a good idea to do a lot of jumping and I would assume triples are out of the question and doubles but you know Alexei. Rudy Galindo has replacements in both hips and still skates. I think Rudy does single and double jumps.

Custom Title
    Didn't Yags have a knee replacement surgery? If he did, I would doubt he could make a comeback even if he wanted to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2