Retirements | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Retirements

Nadine

Record Breaker
Julia's already confirmed that this is her last season. After Europeans she was talking about how it felt to skate in her last Euros - she first went there in 1995. I hope she'll have a great showing at Worlds.

Ah, so sad, thanks Buttercup for the news. *sad*

I remember when Julia was in the last group to skate at the 2002 Olympics, right after Sarah Hughes. Lol, I'm fanatical about skating order because I know figure skaters don't like to skate first (ice too fresh) nor last (the opposite of fresh, lol). The best time to take the ice supposedly is second, then third, which was the perfect skate order for Oksana Baiul in 1994 & Sarah Hughes in 2002. Anyhow, the skate order for the last group at the 2002 Olympics went like this:

Maria Butyrskaya
Sarah Hughes
Julia Sebestian*
Sasha Cohen
Michelle Kwan
Irina Slutskaya

How I'm going to miss seeing Julia's gorgeous big, high, powerful jumps; reminiscent of Irina Slutskaya's jumps, whom I've always respected athletically. Lol, I remember people used to get these two mixed up because they looked alike. Not anymore. Julia is her own person, beautiful & lovely & doesn't look a day over 19.

I'm so glad she was chosen to carry her country's flag into the arena at the start of the Games; she looked so happy. :) And it was good to hear the commentators mention how she tied Sonja Henie's record of having competed at 4 Olympiads!:clap:

Au revoir, Julia, au revoir.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
***BUMP (for the person whom was looking to see those who plan on retiring & competing***

Bennett

Record Breaker
Miki says in an interview that she may try the third Oly.

But she has talked about retirement many times during the past years. I am not sure if she can remain healthy. BTW, she's been slow throughout the season. What happened to her speed??? I was really hoping that she'd medal. With a clean LP like that, she could have done so if skated with better speed, as Joannie and Mao made more mistakes than Miki if SP and LP are combined.

Nadine

Record Breaker
At least Miki redeemed herself from the last Olympics, but I'm sure she wanted a medal, as they all do. I think it's great she wants to go for another Olympiad, just like her countrywoman Shizuka Arakawa, whom finally won the gold on her 2nd try, after first appearing at the Olympic Winter Games in 1998 in Nagano, Japan (I still remember her skating in that lovely dress in front of Japanese Royalty)!:love: And being in her mid-20's has been a HUGE inspiration to the other women out there, including Sasha Cohen I'm sure. Just as The King's presence has elevated the playing competition & has inspired the men to skate to a later age. It's all good!:rock:

:love:GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MIKI!!!!!!!!!!!:love:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Miki says in an interview that she may try the third Oly.

But she has talked about retirement many times during the past years. I am not sure if she can remain healthy. BTW, she's been slow throughout the season. What happened to her speed??? I was really hoping that she'd medal. With a clean LP like that, she could have done so if skated with better speed, as Joannie and Mao made more mistakes than Miki if SP and LP are combined.

I think her weight loss may have contributed to her lack of speed and close landings on a lot of jumps, I was noticing when I was watching her on TV Thursday just how thin she really is! She doesn't look unhealthy but she used to be a more sturdy build and now she's very thin. If she's being healthy about it though then she should be fine. I wouldn't be surprised if Miki stuck around for a few more years, maybe until Sochi even. I'd love to see what a team of Mao, Miki, and Kanako could do at the Olympics!

Also, anyone know about Yuna? Will she retire after Worlds? I mean she's already won every gold medal there is to win but she is only 19 and if she really is as healthy now as it seems she is she may as well continue to skate if she can take the pressure of her country. I'm excited for Min-Jung Kwak to develop as a skater, I think in a couple years she could be competitive with the top skaters!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Oh and what about Akiko? She's 24, but she hasn't gone to Worlds yet and just really broke out this season. Will she retire or stick around for a few more years?

gio

Medalist
Caro Kostner said she will continue to compete. I hope also Yu Na, Mao, Miki, Joannie, Rachael, Mirai, Yukari, Laura, Kiira, Alena, Elene will all continue to compete. They can still show us many things.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Americans: they're young, I don't think they're going anywhere. Perhaps Rachel Flatt is a bit of a question mark since she has applied to colleges- I assume she's looking to begin next fall and especially if she goes full-time, I don't see her remaining at the level she is now. Mirai, definitely assuming her health is good. Same with Wagner. Not sure about Zhang, she seemed really unhappy after Nationals. she seems frustrated. I think Czisny will retire though.

Others: think Yuna will retire. Why not go out while you're on top? I also think Rochette is done. Not sure about Asada or Ando- I think Asada will continue because she seems like she has unfinished business.

Last edited:
I hate to say it because I never like it when people are pushed out of things, but Carolina... whew. After two such disastrous performances in one year, or close to it ... to recover psychologically I would think she'd need a huge change in coaching and even environment - as well as therapy. It might make more sense to move on now.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I hate to say it because I never like it when people are pushed out of things, but Carolina... whew. After two such disastrous performances in one year, or close to it ... to recover psychologically I would think she'd need a huge change in coaching and even environment - as well as therapy. It might make more sense to move on now.

She just won Euros last month though. That's the thing, she HAS had good competitions and results recently, so it makes sense that she would want to continue and end on a high note because she is capable of it. The same can be said of Tomas, he has been bombing recently but he was 4th at worlds just last year and 2nd at TEB in the fall. They are both so talented that I feel like their issues are psychological - if they can overcome them, they should be competitive for top results again, at least in Europe if not in the world.

Layfan

Record Breaker

I know what you mean ... I would just hate for her to end her career on this note, though. Here's hoping Caro redeems herself (again) at worlds...

Layfan

Record Breaker
She just won Euros last month though. That's the thing, she HAS had good competitions and results recently, so it makes sense that she would want to continue and end on a high note because she is capable of it. The same can be said of Tomas, he has been bombing recently but he was 4th at worlds just last year and 2nd at TEB in the fall. They are both so talented that I feel like their issues are psychological - if they can overcome them, they should be competitive for top results again, at least in Europe if not in the world.

Even at Euros, though, she was shaky... And she lost the the Italian championships, for heaven's sake....

I have no idea what to think of Caro. During her LP, it seemed to me like she was approaching some of her jumps with an expression that basically said "Please god let me land this" rather than a look of concentration. I'm not kidding just from the look on her face I thought to myself "she's not going to land it."

I think after this, the judges are through giving her the benefit of the doubt. Spun's right. She needs a serious overhaul if she wants to continue. Of what I don't know, but something.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I wouldn't see her a failure or anything if she retires now. If she wants to move on, I'd congratulate on her new life. If she wants to stay because she loves skating despite all, I heartily cheer for her. I think Caro is loved and supported enough to continue as a competitive skater or turn to a successful pro skater or in totally different things using her fame. It is nice to retire with a medal, but not having a perfect ending is not the end of the world for her. She has had so many disastrous performances, but has been loved regardless. No worries. I hope that she just does what she heartily wants and loves, rather than trying to redo what she could have done better. If that's skating for her, I'd heartily support her decision.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Even at Euros, though, she was shaky... And she lost the the Italian championships, for heaven's sake....

I have no idea what to think of Caro. During her LP, it seemed to me like she was approaching some of her jumps with an expression that basically said "Please god let me land this" rather than a look of concentration. I'm not kidding just from the look on her face I thought to myself "she's not going to land it."

I think after this, the judges are through giving her the benefit of the doubt. Spun's right. She needs a serious overhaul if she wants to continue. Of what I don't know, but something.

I know, it's just she does have it in her, and I think she knows that, which makes it so hard. I have been feeling the same way about Tomas Verner, who has been nearly as disappointing as Carolina this year (though at least some of it was due to his illness). It must be frustrating because it either could put out two clean performances, they'd have a good shot at medaling or at least finishing respectfully in the top 10, but it just seems like there is some kind of mental block. It's such a shame though, because they are both very talented.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
After seeing Caroline skate a few time leading up to this event I was not at all surprised by how she skated. I cannot compare with how she used to pratce vs. how she skated because I did not live in Italy then, but she landed VERY few triples in her practices, in her runthroughs she expressed and performed well by popped almost everything.

Mirai and Evan on the other hand practiced just like they skated.

tuggy-fan

Rinkside
after the olympic lp,our figure skating star Tugba Karademir said,"i will retire after 2010 worlds" :cry: :cry: :cry: she was really sad and disappointed because of her olympic run.

please don't give up! we aren't ready for your retirement :no:

you can skate at least 2 seasons more...