Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Will the Ladies figure skating be a repeat of 2006? Is Yu-Na really unbeatable?

mylastduchess
    I hate for this thread to be another Yu-na vs. somebody thread. I agree with most of the people here Yu-na is definitely the overwhelming favourite but no skate in the history of skating has been unbeatable.

Yu-na can be afforded a couple of small mistakes I think, but how small depends on Miki landing a 3/3 and Mao landing all her 3A, Yu-na was afforded a much bigger cushion the past competitions because the rest of the ladies didn't have the technical marks to beat her ( her 3/3 and 2a/3T) racks up huge points, but the rest of the field mostly didn't have a 3/3 to keep up with her marks.

No one is unbeatable. It all comes down to who does it on the day. I believe, if all of the ladies skate clean, Yu-Na should and will win. Where Mao finishes, IMO, will depend on whether the 3 ax goes in, how many she tries and whether or not they are clean.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mylastduchess View Post
    I hate for this thread to be another Yu-na vs. somebody thread. I agree with most of the people here Yu-na is definitely the overwhelming favourite but no skate in the history of skating has been unbeatable.

Yu-na can be afforded a couple of small mistakes I think, but how small depends on Miki landing a 3/3 and Mao landing all her 3A, Yu-na was afforded a much bigger cushion the past competitions because the rest of the ladies didn't have the technical marks to beat her ( her 3/3 and 2a/3T) racks up huge points, but the rest of the field mostly didn't have a 3/3 to keep up with her marks.
    Well said, I agree. Where Yuna doesn't have a 3loop in her LP this season though I'm pretty confident that the only mistake she might make in the LP would be a sloppy or popped 3sal, she's worked out the 3flip and judging from her scores at the GPF with the 3-2, if she has a lead in the SP she should still be fine.

Mashimaro on Ice
    I guess we will find out in the next couple of days if she is or not. I will be fine just as long as it is not a repeat of 2006 splatfest.

Here's something I just thought of. I know it won't happen, but what if Yu-Na does a 3+2 instead of a 3+3, will she win the SP if Miki and Joannie do a 3+2?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    Here's something I just thought of. I know it won't happen, but what if Yu-Na does a 3+2 instead of a 3+3, will she win the SP if Miki and Joannie do a 3+2?
    Do you mean if Joannie and Miki do a 3-3? I think Yuna with a 3-2 will beat anyone else with a 3-2, but maybe not a 3-3

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Do you mean if Joannie and Miki do a 3-3? I think Yuna with a 3-2 will beat anyone else with a 3-2, but maybe not a 3-3
    No, I mean Miki and Joannie with a 3+2.

Unfortunately, I don't think Rochette will do a 3-3.

mylastduchess
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    I think it depends on how well each of those ladies do their 3/2, actually all 3 could do huge 3/2

it's olympic season :D bethissoawesome's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    We already can get an idea.... Yu-Na did a 3-2 in the GPF SP (http://www.isuresults.com/results/gp..._SP_Scores.pdf the 3T was downgraded, but it still earned massive +GOE), but came in second to Miki who did a 3-2... but if Yu-Na didn't pop her 3F, she would have placed 1st in the SP. So the answer is pretty much a definite "yes" to Yu-Na beating Miki and Joannie with a 3-2. The solo 3F seems a little problematic for Yu-Na, counting the 3F in the SP and the LP, she has either popped it or had it downgraded 3 out of the 6 attempts at it this season. Maybe that is why she has been practicing the 3F in combination recently... it seems her solo 3Lz is a bit stronger than her solo 3F... so doing a 3F+3T combo with solo 3Lz might work out better for her than the current 3Lz+3T (also with a 50% miss rate) and solo 3F... not to mention it's a combination she has done well with in the past, so it isn't something new. ::lightbulb::

Custom Title
    Yu Na can win with 5 triple programs because she does a 3-3 in the short. That, plus her PCS make her pretty much unbeatable unless she makes multiple mistakes. The unknown factor, however, is how she handles the pressure. The Olympics tend to cause great skaters to become merely good. Few skaters can point to their Olympic performances as their all-time best (Sarah Hughes and Tara Lipinski excepted).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    Yu Na can win with 5 triple programs because she does a 3-3 in the short. That, plus her PCS make her pretty much unbeatable unless she makes multiple mistakes. The unknown factor, however, is how she handles the pressure. The Olympics tend to cause great skaters to become merely good. Few skaters can point to their Olympic performances as their all-time best (Sarah Hughes and Tara Lipinski excepted).
    Evan Lysacek! But yeah I agree. Yuna with 3-2 will beat anyone else with a 3-2 unless she makes other mistakes. Yuna had a 3-3 UR to a 3-2 AND a popped flip at the GPF and she still got 65 points for that program. A 3lz-3t is worth 10 points and a 3lz-2t is worth 7.3, so it just means if Yuna does a 3-2 instead of a 3-3 and is otherwise clean, her score will be 73 instead of 76. None of the other ladies have ever gotten 73 points for a SP.

it's olympic season :D bethissoawesome's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    Yu-Na won Worlds and TEB with 5 triples... she won SA with only 3 (but with her 3-3 and an incredible score in the short) and the GPF with 4 (without the 3-3 in the short). She could very well win with a 5 (possibly even a 4) triple program even without the 3-3 in the SP.... although that is more of a situation that would depend on how the rest of the field does as well. If everyone wound up skating only to their SB score and Yu-Na did a SP to match her SA or TEB score, she could give up as many as 4 (possibly 5 jumps) in the LP (her 3 triple program at SA still received over 111 points) and win; she would only need about 106-ish points in the LP.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bethissoawesome View Post
    Yu-Na won Worlds and TEB with 5 triples... she won SA with only 3 (but with her 3-3 and an incredible score in the short) and the GPF with 4 (without the 3-3 in the short). She could very well win with a 5 (possibly even a 4) triple program even without the 3-3 in the SP.... although that is more of a situation that would depend on how the rest of the field does as well. If everyone wound up skating only to their SB score and Yu-Na did a SP to match her SA or TEB score, she could give up as many as 4 (possibly 5 jumps) in the LP (her 3 triple program at SA still received over 111 points) and win; she would only need about 106-ish points in the LP.
    It's hard to tell. Yuna won her GP events but not all the top skaters are at the same GP events so her performance at SA might not have been enough if other skaters were there. I tend to think Yuna can win with a few mistakes, but I think that these mistakes have to be made in the FS and not the SP. I'm thinking back to 2008 worlds when Yuna with gorgeous 3f-3t and 2a was in 5th after the SP after she fell on her 3lz, and then only pulled up to 3rd after winning the SP, even though Mao and Carolina weren't clean in the LP. Now, since then, Yuna has become better and Mao and Carolina have become unpredictable, but still. A clean SP with a 3-3 will put her ahead with a good margin, as I think even Miki with a 3lz-3lo and Mao with a clean 3a-2t will not get a score as high as Yuna, they might hit 70, but I doubt either would get a 76.

chillyfranz
    No one is really unbbeatable, not even Yuna Kim, as Mao Asada is picking up steam, and watch for the other Japanese skaters too. Miki can surprise, so can Akiko

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast