Will the Ladies figure skating be a repeat of 2006? Is Yu-Na really unbeatable? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Will the Ladies figure skating be a repeat of 2006? Is Yu-Na really unbeatable?

french quarter

Rinkside
Also I'm really tired of the argument that just because Yuna was injured, she didn't win those two worlds before.

It doesn't matter if you are tire of it. She was badly injured during those seasons and lived with painkiller. She couldn't even walk sometimes and was to retire for the injury.

I also second what silverlake22 said - Yuna can afford to make mistakes and beat everyone else because the quality of her skating is so high.

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
It doesn't matter if you are tire of it. She was badly injured during those seasons and lived with painkiller. She couldn't even walk sometimes and was to retire for the injury.

I also second what silverlake22 said - Yuna can afford to make mistakes and beat everyone else because the quality of her skating is so high.

But how can you be sure she would have won if she wasn't injured? I mean you guys make the argument that she underperformed because of it right? That's a legitimate point. But why can't the same be applied to other skaters who have been underperforming recently due to other reasons. How can you really make that prediction when there has never been a competition where the skaters all performed really well.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I dunno if it's true that she can afford to make mistakes and still win if the others are good. Because that scenario has never really happened before, since the others have been making more mistakes than she did at previous competitions. I'll believe it when that scenario actually happens.

I mean it's hard to say because it hasn't really happened before, but Yuna manages to get high scores and in most competitions she has a couple blips in the LP and her scores are still so high.

miki88

Medalist
I mean it's hard to say because it hasn't really happened before, but Yuna manages to get high scores and in most competitions she has a couple blips in the LP and her scores are still so high.

Your prediction could be right, but I just want to see that actually happen for once where everyone skates close to clean and she comes up on top. So it's a bit disappointing for me that her rivals have been underperforming.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Everyone will be pushing really hard here, it's the Olympics! Hopefully we'll see everyone at her best!

Vash01

Medalist

Theoretically nobody is unbeatable but the way Yu na is being scored, she would be. Even when she makes mistakes she still gets high marks. I would like to see a more correct judging. It will make the competition more exciting. When you already know that a certain skater is going to win, no matter what, and we are only waiting to find out who will get the silver and the bronze, it's not so interesting to watch. If she really skates great and others have poor skates, it's a non-issue, of course.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Theoretically nobody is unbeatable but the way Yu na is being scored, she would be. Even when she makes mistakes she still gets high marks. I would like to see a more correct judging. It will make the competition more exciting. When you already know that a certain skater is going to win, no matter what, and we are only waiting to find out who will get the silver and the bronze, it's not so interesting to watch. If she really skates great and others have poor skates, it's a non-issue, of course.

I wouldn't say we already know who is going to win no matter what. If Yuna did a repeat of SA here, Miki, Mao, Joannie and maybe even someone else could potentially win and even make a mistake or two to do it. Remember, it's a point-based system, if a skater doesn't do her jumps, she won't get points. PCS is only part of the score. That is what makes figure skating so unpredictable. Anything could happen on Tuesday and Thursday, the results are wide open.

french quarter

Rinkside
But how can you be sure she would have won if she wasn't injured? I mean you guys make the argument that she underperformed because of it right? That's a legitimate point. But why can't the same be applied to other skaters who have been underperforming recently due to other reasons. How can you really make that prediction when there has never been a competition where the skaters all performed really well.

Because I know very well that her injury and pain were very serious, especially around those worlds, and she made the podium though. She won in both Grand Prix Finals in those two seasons.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Because I know very well that her injury and pain were very serious, especially around those worlds, and she made the podium though. She won in both Grand Prix Finals in those two seasons.

Yup, Yuna is amazing. I have no doubt she'll medal here it just depends on what color.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Yu-Na has unbelievably been boisted to the top in some events.... she has gone from having strong programs with ordinary PCS scores (ordinary for her... high 50s), to skating another competition and having her PCS scores somehow boosted 10 points even though it's the same program and no real reason to have it happen (see Worlds).

Let's look at Skate America... Yu-Na only gets off 3 clean triples, underrotates her combo and gets a total of 111.70. Rachael Flatt skates a clean 7 triple program, including a 3F+3T combination and only comes in ahead of Yu-Na by under 5 points with 116.11. Sure, Rachael doesn't have the artistic skills of Yu-Na, not even close.... but Yu-Na shouldn't be allowed to pop and underrotate all but 3 of her triple jumps and put up a score that most skaters can't beat clean. Everyone says Mao's PCS were affected by her mistakes... what about Yu-Na's PCS scores here? This program was FAR from perfect... but it still won Gold at SA.

IMHO, Skate America proves that Yu-Na definitely will need her 3Lz+3T in the SP to really secure Gold... if she has a great short, she has quite a bit of room for falls and errors in the LP. So it will either all come down to the SP...
OR
The judges will wind up giving "strange" PCS scores like they did at the Mens competition (Plushenko and Lysacek with the same PCS? hardly.), but if a strong program winds up meaning good PCS scores again, that OGM has way more possible takers than most people are probably thinking (my money would be on either Joannie or Miki if they skate clean... possibly even Rachael though I don't want that to happen).

As for Mao, I don't know WHAT they were thinking with her LP music. Mao's Bells of Moscow is really just the first few measures of Rachmoninov's absurdly famous Prelude in C Sharp Minor, Op. 3 No. 2 (which I'm quite mad she didn't use the whole thing... it was my audition piece for a conservatory when I was young and it worked for me then, it can work for her now lol :p ). If she wanted to use this song, she should have used the WHOLE piece, since it has beautiful changes in pace and mood that would fit other sections of her program much better than the same repetitive bars. If anyone wants to hear the whole piece of music, here is a link to Rachmaninov actually playing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8ytY57u8_4&feature=related . Why they didn't decide to use more than the first few measures, I'll never know... all the emotion is in the secold half of the piece.

M

mylastduchess

I hate for this thread to be another Yu-na vs. somebody thread. I agree with most of the people here Yu-na is definitely the overwhelming favourite but no skate in the history of skating has been unbeatable.

Yu-na can be afforded a couple of small mistakes I think, but how small depends on Miki landing a 3/3 and Mao landing all her 3A, Yu-na was afforded a much bigger cushion the past competitions because the rest of the ladies didn't have the technical marks to beat her ( her 3/3 and 2a/3T) racks up huge points, but the rest of the field mostly didn't have a 3/3 to keep up with her marks.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
No one is unbeatable. It all comes down to who does it on the day. I believe, if all of the ladies skate clean, Yu-Na should and will win. Where Mao finishes, IMO, will depend on whether the 3 ax goes in, how many she tries and whether or not they are clean.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I hate for this thread to be another Yu-na vs. somebody thread. I agree with most of the people here Yu-na is definitely the overwhelming favourite but no skate in the history of skating has been unbeatable.

Yu-na can be afforded a couple of small mistakes I think, but how small depends on Miki landing a 3/3 and Mao landing all her 3A, Yu-na was afforded a much bigger cushion the past competitions because the rest of the ladies didn't have the technical marks to beat her ( her 3/3 and 2a/3T) racks up huge points, but the rest of the field mostly didn't have a 3/3 to keep up with her marks.

Well said, I agree. Where Yuna doesn't have a 3loop in her LP this season though I'm pretty confident that the only mistake she might make in the LP would be a sloppy or popped 3sal, she's worked out the 3flip and judging from her scores at the GPF with the 3-2, if she has a lead in the SP she should still be fine.

miki88

Medalist
I guess we will find out in the next couple of days if she is or not. I will be fine just as long as it is not a repeat of 2006 splatfest.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Here's something I just thought of. I know it won't happen, but what if Yu-Na does a 3+2 instead of a 3+3, will she win the SP if Miki and Joannie do a 3+2?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Here's something I just thought of. I know it won't happen, but what if Yu-Na does a 3+2 instead of a 3+3, will she win the SP if Miki and Joannie do a 3+2?

Do you mean if Joannie and Miki do a 3-3? I think Yuna with a 3-2 will beat anyone else with a 3-2, but maybe not a 3-3

M

mylastduchess

I think it depends on how well each of those ladies do their 3/2, actually all 3 could do huge 3/2

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Do you mean if Joannie and Miki do a 3-3? I think Yuna with a 3-2 will beat anyone else with a 3-2, but maybe not a 3-3

We already can get an idea.... Yu-Na did a 3-2 in the GPF SP (http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpf0910/gpf0910_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf the 3T was downgraded, but it still earned massive +GOE), but came in second to Miki who did a 3-2... but if Yu-Na didn't pop her 3F, she would have placed 1st in the SP. So the answer is pretty much a definite "yes" to Yu-Na beating Miki and Joannie with a 3-2. The solo 3F seems a little problematic for Yu-Na, counting the 3F in the SP and the LP, she has either popped it or had it downgraded 3 out of the 6 attempts at it this season. Maybe that is why she has been practicing the 3F in combination recently... it seems her solo 3Lz is a bit stronger than her solo 3F... so doing a 3F+3T combo with solo 3Lz might work out better for her than the current 3Lz+3T (also with a 50% miss rate) and solo 3F... not to mention it's a combination she has done well with in the past, so it isn't something new. ::lightbulb::