Ladies' SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies' SP

Vash01

Medalist
Great draw for Rachael Flatt. Not so good for Mirai, but she is not a medal contender, so it's OK.

Yu na skates right after Mao. That should be interesting. I hope Mao skates clean and gets full credit for her 3A. Otherwise it may not be so interesting.

Skating last (Miki) can be a positive thing in the SP because she is not off the ice for very long after the warmup. In the LP it could affect a skater negatively.

Vash01

Medalist
Somehow Americans and Canadians always manage to skate close to last.

I don't think the draw is rigged. Those are just randomly picked numbers and sometimes they come up great for some skaters and not so great for some others.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Great draw for Rachael Flatt. Not so good for Mirai, but she is not a medal contender, so it's OK.

Yu na skates right after Mao. That should be interesting. I hope Mao skates clean and gets full credit for her 3A. Otherwise it may not be so interesting.

Skating last (Miki) can be a positive thing in the SP because she is not off the ice for very long after the warmup. In the LP it could affect a skater negatively.

Where it's a points-based system I think it should be ok. Mirai might suffer a little in the PCS department but we saw that with the young skaters in the men's competition too. If she skates well she should get a good score - apart from a few of the favorites in the men's competition the scoring seemed pretty fair. The other thing is that in comparison to the skaters in her group Mirai could really stand out which could be to her advantage in terms of scores.

screech

Final Flight
A part of me hopes JoRo performs "Hymne a 'lamour" as her LP now. I remember back in 06 when Sandra said the reason why JoRo chose that song is because that song gave her mom some solstice. Maybe performing that again will give her some comfort in this really tough time.

But I'm sure her tango and S&D programs will make mom proud.

Maybe she'll do it in the gala - I believe all Canadian skaters get to skate in the gala, regardless of placement, because they're the host nation. It would be a nice tribute.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can skaters switch their LP at the last minute like that?

Not last minute. Stephane Lambiel is known to debut a program in the middle or near the end of the season after having only worked on it for a month, but no, I don't see Joannie switching to her 2006 LP at the Olympics when she hasn't skated to that music in 4 years. She's trained all season to be the temptress Delilah. Changing the LP at the eleventh hour would only serve to unnerve her even more.

Maybe she'll do it in the gala - I believe all Canadian skaters get to skate in the gala, regardless of placement, because they're the host nation. It would be a nice tribute.

Now THAT would be beautiful to see. I would definitely cry at that tribute. I suspect I'm going to be a wreck regardless, which is why I've already requested off from work tomorrow and Wednesday. Luckily, my non-work day falls on this Friday too. My heart is going to be with Joannie every step of the way. Regardless of what happens on the ice, I am so in awe and appreciative of her and wish her all the best! I hope she has the strength to believe she can do this for herself and for her mother looking down over her, loving and protecting her.

Last edited:

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
This is definitely an interesting order.... Miki skating last, Yu-Na as the sandwich meat between Mao and Akiko... and even the 3-3 girls Rachael and Carolina back to back. There will be plenty of waiting for Mirai too... if she skates clean, her SP marks will be the ones to beat by the time the other big names come out.

Sackie

Medalist
Yeah things are really being set up for Rachael to Win a medal. She really has a great draw! By the time she skates the judges will know what marks to give her so she will be in the hunt for a medal.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yeah things are really being set up for Rachael to Win a medal. She really has a great draw! By the time she skates the judges will know what marks to give her so she will be in the hunt for a medal.

I think Rachael will do better in the LP and pull up a few slots. I hope she and Mirai make the final group for the LP though!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I hope Miki goes for the 3-3 combo regardless of what Morozov might tell her. Look at Oda, he was landing quad-triple so well in practice and decided to take it out in the program when he knows that Evan and Chan had the score to beat his clean skate. What does he have to lose? Hoping for Plushenko, Daisuke to fall really badly and cling on to a bronze?
If Miki decided to go with the safe route, she will be out of the medal hunt. The judges will reward a 3-2 Rochette over a 3-2 Miki.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I hope Miki goes for the 3-3 combo regardless of what Morozov might tell her. Look at Oda, he was landing quad-triple so well in practice and decided to take it out in the program when he knows that Evan and Chan had the score to beat his clean skate. What does he have to lose? Hoping for Plushenko, Daisuke to fall really badly and cling on to a bronze?
If Miki decided to go with the safe route, she will be out of the medal hunt. The judges will reward a 3-2 Rochette over a 3-2 Miki.

Joannie is more prone to mistakes then Miki though and Miki's strength is the LP. We also don't know what Mao will do here, or which Carolina will show up to the competition. I wouldn't say Miki is out of the medal hunt if she doesn't do a 3-3, it really depends on what everyone else does.

miki88

Medalist
Joannie is more prone to mistakes then Miki though and Miki's strength is the LP. We also don't know what Mao will do here, or which Carolina will show up to the competition. I wouldn't say Miki is out of the medal hunt if she doesn't do a 3-3, it really depends on what everyone else does.

She won't be out of the medal hunt but I think she probably needs it to contend for the gold, because Yuna rarely botches her 3-3 attempt.

FlattFan

Match Penalty

I meant if everyone is clean. I'm not counting on anyone for a melt down in order for someone else to sneak in.
So if everyone is clean, Joannie will place higher than Miki.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
She won't be out of the medal hunt but I think she probably needs it to contend for the gold, because Yuna rarely botches her 3-3 attempt.

She has botched it the last 3 times she attempted it... she hasn't done it clean since the SP at Skate America (so overall that means she has only done it clean 1/2 of her attempts at it this season).

I think Miki will really only go for the 3-3 depending on how Yu-Na and Mao fair... if she doesn't think she needs it, I doubt she will (something she has learned over the years and at Turin with the 4S). I doubt Mao cared when her draw was, since she already announced she would be "going all out" since she felt comfortable in practice (reading the whole interview almost seemed to infer she had backup programs just in case). Rachael will have to do the 3-3 to be in the medal hunt.... Mirai, I think she will make the final group going into the LP, since the SP has been her strength this season. I'm glad to see Akiko after the "dynamic duo" than any other contender, since she seems the least to crack under the pressure. She truly seems like one of the few skaters who really sees only herself as the competition and doesn't just spout that line out but not mean it. I admire that about her.

miki88

Medalist
She has botched it the last 3 times she attempted it... she hasn't done it clean since the SP at Skate America (so overall that means she has only done it clean 1/2 of her attempts at it this season).

I think Miki will really only go for the 3-3 depending on how Yu-Na and Mao fair... if she doesn't think she needs it, I doubt she will (something she has learned over the years and at Turin with the 4S). I doubt Mao cared when her draw was, since she already announced she would be "going all out" since she felt comfortable in practice (reading the whole interview almost seemed to infer she had backup programs just in case). Rachael will have to do the 3-3 to be in the medal hunt.... Mirai, I think she will make the final group going into the LP, since the SP has been her strength this season. I'm glad to see Akiko after the "dynamic duo" than any other contender, since she seems the least to crack under the pressure. She truly seems like one of the few skaters who really sees only herself as the competition and doesn't just spout that line out but not mean it. I admire that about her.

I need a recap. Why didn't Miki take advantage of Yuna's mistakes at the GPF? I always thought that Miki totally missed a good chance there.

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice

Well, I suppose you're counting the UR at the GPF as legitimate when really, a lot of people including Oly champions like Scott Hamilton said it wasn't. Otherwise, although she's missed it twice, it still remains the most consistent of the "big" jumping passes this season, especially compared to Miki's 3Lz-3Lo which almost never materialises during competition and Mao's 3-axel.

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
I need a recap. Why didn't Miki take advantage of Yuna's mistakes at the GPF? I always thought that Miki totally missed a good chance there.

I think Miki didn't do a 3-3, thought that a clean performance would pull her through. Then she had a hand down on either the sal or lo during her FP.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I think Rachael will do better in the LP and pull up a few slots. I hope she and Mirai make the final group for the LP though!

Yes!! Only just started thinking about that... I was so busy just wanting them to have great skates and who cares where they place. But on the night before, I'm all, please please let Rachael and Mirai make top 10 after the SP. Not that I think they can't do even better ... but just really want to see them both in the last group.

You go girls!!!

No pressure, though...

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think Miki didn't do a 3-3, thought that a clean performance would pull her through. Then she had a hand down on either the sal or lo during her FP.

Yeah, hand down on a 3sal which was UR. If that jump had been clean and rotated she would have beaten Yuna at GPF.