Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Tragedy strikes Rochette

This is horrible.

My condolences to her family. Be strong, Joannie.

R.I.P., Thérèse.

Rinkside
    These games have been such a mix of tragedy and triumph. My thoughts are with Joannie, her family, friends and her Canadian teammates. I trust the media respects her privacy and gives her the space she needs. I don't know how she'll be able to compete.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saundy View Post
    I just can't believe this! And I certainly wouldn't have half the courage to continue after something so devastating. I always knew this girl had guts and this just proves it beyond a doubt. I don't care about a medal anymore for her. I just want her to skate for herself and in memory of her mother. This is what any mother would want...

Condolences Joannie...you are an Olympic hero already in my eyes.
    You stated beautifully everything I am thinking. Sweet blessings to Joannie and her family. May all angels look over and bring peace and strength to them!

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    That's right! It was her LP to Hymne à l'Amour in 2006.
    As I mentioned in the SP thread, I hope she brings that back for the LP. Maybe that will help her heal a little bit. But it might be too late now to change it.

Tripping on the Podium
    What a sad and tragic day for Jo Annie. It sounds like her mother was a very strong person. Jo Annie will draw from that. If she finds the deternination to skate she will not be alone she will have an angel ( her mother) with her every step. The audience will be with her. I just hope she skates with her heart and for herself. Forget winning the medal and just skate for the memory of her mother and her self and her love of skating.
    jfdw

Custom Title
    I am shocked. This is so sad. I feel so sorry for Joannie. Wish Joannie and her family the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Wait, what? I thought her mom died in the season leading up to the last Olympics? I remember some kind of commentary about her program from that season being based on a tribute to her mother or something?

This is sad. :(
    Maybe you're thinking of Anglea Nikodinov. She and her mother were in a car accident enroute from the airport to their hotel for US Nationals. Her mother was killed in the accident and Angela was injured. Angela had also lost her beloved coach to cancer and had skated a program in tribute to her during a prior season.

I'm sure that the audience and other skaters will give Joannie an ovation of support. If anything, I think she wants to skate as a tribute to her mother's love and sacirfices.

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    That's right! It was her LP to Hymne à l'Amour in 2006.
    Yes the song was a tribute to her mother.

Custom Title
    Just heard about this on NBC. There aren't sufficient words to express how sad I am for her. My condolences to Joannie and her family.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    Maybe you're thinking of Anglea Nikodinov.
    No, I was thinking of Rochette. Someone elaborated on it above.

Custom Title
    This is soo awful. My heart is breaking for Joannie and her family. I'm just shocked.

I just read in the Radio-Canada article (it's in French so I won't link it), that her mother was her strongest crtic but also her fiercest supporter. That makes some sense, then, why she's thinking she'll still skate: her mom would have wanted it. I don't know if she'll be able to compose herself in such little time. No matter how the skate goes, it will be emotional for her and the audience. I follow her twitter and she hasn't said anything there yet.

Down With It
    Damn...

Custom Title
    My heart goes out to her and her family during this time. What a loss for anyone to suffer.

Custom Title
    so sad news...RIP therese, and my condolences to Joannie and her family :(

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast