Tragedy strikes Rochette | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Tragedy strikes Rochette

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's like Angela Nikodinov at nationals 2005 all over again.

I am devastated for her. The article I read earlier said she says she plans to compete, and I hope it's a magical moment for her... :cry:

Moxie

On the Ice
Poor Joannie. I hope she has a good support system around her right now. :(
Omg, and I hope the media rats have the decency to leave her alone right now.:mad:

ARipp42014

Medalist
OMG! :cry: My thoughts and prayers goes out to her and her family! Only 55.

I really hope she skates lights out in memory of her mom this week!

janetfan

Match Penalty
Such sad news and my heart goes out to Joannie and her family.
My prayers are with Joannie and hope her decision to compete helps her through this very difficult moment in her life.

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
My heart breaks for Joannie -If she does skate, my hope is that the trolls that have come out in full force this Olympics on this board don't cry "gifted due to tragedy".

figuristka

Medalist
Wait, what? I thought her mom died in the season leading up to the last Olympics? I remember some kind of commentary about her program from that season being based on a tribute to her mother or something?

This is sad. :(

I think her mother had lost her first love in an accident, and the music meaningful to her mother? Sorry cannot remember.

Saundy

On the Ice
I just can't believe this! And I certainly wouldn't have half the courage to continue after something so devastating. I always knew this girl had guts and this just proves it beyond a doubt. I don't care about a medal anymore for her. I just want her to skate for herself and in memory of her mother. This is what any mother would want...

Condolences Joannie...you are an Olympic hero already in my eyes.

billeh

Rinkside
These games have been such a mix of tragedy and triumph. My thoughts are with Joannie, her family, friends and her Canadian teammates. I trust the media respects her privacy and gives her the space she needs. I don't know how she'll be able to compete.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just can't believe this! And I certainly wouldn't have half the courage to continue after something so devastating. I always knew this girl had guts and this just proves it beyond a doubt. I don't care about a medal anymore for her. I just want her to skate for herself and in memory of her mother. This is what any mother would want...

Condolences Joannie...you are an Olympic hero already in my eyes.

You stated beautifully everything I am thinking. Sweet blessings to Joannie and her family. May all angels look over and bring peace and strength to them!

jfdw

Rinkside
What a sad and tragic day for Jo Annie. It sounds like her mother was a very strong person. Jo Annie will draw from that. If she finds the deternination to skate she will not be alone she will have an angel ( her mother) with her every step. The audience will be with her. I just hope she skates with her heart and for herself. Forget winning the medal and just skate for the memory of her mother and her self and her love of skating.
jfdw

heyang

Record Breaker
Wait, what? I thought her mom died in the season leading up to the last Olympics? I remember some kind of commentary about her program from that season being based on a tribute to her mother or something?

This is sad. :(

Maybe you're thinking of Anglea Nikodinov. She and her mother were in a car accident enroute from the airport to their hotel for US Nationals. Her mother was killed in the accident and Angela was injured. Angela had also lost her beloved coach to cancer and had skated a program in tribute to her during a prior season.

I'm sure that the audience and other skaters will give Joannie an ovation of support. If anything, I think she wants to skate as a tribute to her mother's love and sacirfices.

jcoates

Medalist
Just heard about this on NBC. There aren't sufficient words to express how sad I am for her. My condolences to Joannie and her family.