Tragedy strikes Rochette | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Tragedy strikes Rochette

Trewyn

Medalist
She heard the news and then went on to a practice session??? Wow.. I'm so shocked. This is awful. She must be devestated. I didn't really have a favorite in the Ladies event, so now I hope Joannie can skate her heart out, skater for her mother and fulfill her dreams...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
She heard the news and then went on to a practice session??? Wow..

what else can she do? sit in a room and allow herself to wallow is grief?

people all deal with things differently, I'm more like joannie - just get me out of that environment and let me continue on like normal, for sanity's sake.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I feel so terrible for Joannie.
My condolences.

I hope everyone around Joannie shelters her this week, and that the media will not make anything tasteless and voyeuristic out of this.
I hope so too.

sk8rdad

On the Ice
Firstly my thoughts and prayers go out to Joannie and her family.

I find it rather crass and in poor taste that someone would stoop to posting photos of what was supposed to be a closed pratice session. According to CTV the media were actually not allowed in to the session. Lets all have some respect.

Tanja90

On the Ice
I really have no words...I'm close to joannie and her family...c'mon joannie! don't give up!

yunasashafan

On the Ice
She heard the news and then went on to a practice session??? Wow.. I'm so shocked.

Speaking from experience, the first few days after such sudden news, I was in a complete state of shock and basically on autopilot. Everyone reacts differently and it may take some time for things to completely sink in.

london_calling

On the Ice
I saw a bit of Joannie's practice on the news this evening. She looked devastated and I wanted to cry for her. This is just so heartbreaking.

dannyascii

On the Ice
Wow...that's really sad...
No matter how she skates, choosing to stay in the competition takes serious guts and you have to commend her for that.

kyla2

Final Flight
My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to Joannie and all her family. This is such a tragedy for them all. You know, Joannie knows that skating in the Olympics isn't just about her and that it is for her country also. She is a very brave person to continue because I am sure her heart is broken. My thoughts and hopes for a wonderful skate will be with her.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I saw a bit of Joannie's practice on the news this evening. She looked devastated and I wanted to cry for her. This is just so heartbreaking.

That is so sad :cry::cry:

I can't even imagine having to skate in the olympics after losing my mother. I can't even imagine going through the motions at a practice session. I am proud of her strength and her fight, I pray that she can skate her best ever and take home the gold for her mother.

kyla2

Final Flight
I saw the pictures of her at practice. She looks devastated and shell shocked. She has my admiration for showing up at all today. Hang in there Joannie. There are alot of love and prayers coming your way.

Last edited:

76olympics

On the Ice
So sorry to hear this. News like this dwarfs any controversy on the ice. I will pray for her family and hope that her love for mom holds her up if she does choose to skate....

colleen o'neill

Medalist
She'll need all the support people can send. Anyone who's been through something like this knows that even when you can manage to keep your emotions under control, you're suddenly somehow disconnected from what's going on around you. It can take months to start to feel re-connected.

Still, Liz Manley made a very wise and true comment on CTV earlier- that it can be the best thing for the person to focus on something that is a constant, something stable in their lives..skating will certainly fit that description for Joannie.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I find it rather crass and in poor taste that someone would stoop to posting photos of what was supposed to be a closed pratice session. According to CTV the media were actually not allowed in to the session. Lets all have some respect.

the photos I saw were taken by Reuters photographers. So obviously SOME media were allowed in (Reuters is based in Canada, right?)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am very sorry for her loss. One is never 'old enough' to lose a parent and there is never a 'good time' for it but right now, when she is supposed to feel only joy and happiness ... life to put it plainly sometimes truly s..cks. I don't know whether she'll compete but if she does, may she rock the world.
You are so right, I lost my mom just a couple of years ago and still think about her so much. I had to have surgery just a year before she died and the night before surgery I said to my mom....I need a mama hug...wow, she was able to rid my fears by her hug and what she said ...it's going to be ok, honey.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
God Bless you Joannie!

My favorite skater among the eligibles lost her mother today....I don't know how she will manage this skating business. My heart goes out to this beautiful, elegant and brave canadian champion. I was so hoping and still am she will make it to the podium. I prefer watching her to Yuna Kim. Good Luck joannie whatever you decide!:cry:

Layfan

Record Breaker
This is terrible news. My heart goes out to Joannie. Such a good competitor and good person.