Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Tragedy strikes Rochette

Custom Title
    I just read about this on the online news. How dreadful! Not only is Joannie young, but her mother was also. I hope everyone around Joannie shelters her this week, and that the media will not make anything tasteless and voyeuristic out of this.

Tripping on the Podium
    My heart goes out to Joannie and her family.

Custom Title
    Thank you for starting this thread. I read about it earlier, but it was such a shock; I did not feel ready to post anything about it. I have been an admirer of Joannie ever since I saw the early version of her Firebird programme. She was so magnificent in it, and it had qualities I had never seen in a programme before. I liked Joannie even before that; she is such a fine athlete, and has such a genuinely sweet smile. I am so very sorry that she has to cope with this incredible loss, and at such a time as this. Perhaps it will help her to deal with her shock and sorrow, if she focuses on the skating; I hope so.

What can one say at a time like this? Joannie, may God be with you.

daylife.com has photos up, now, of her practice today. she looks okay all things considered.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    daylife.com has photos up, now, of her practice today. she looks okay all things considered.
    A direct link:

http://www.daylife.com/search/photos...annie+rochette

Custom Title
    She heard the news and then went on to a practice session??? Wow.. I'm so shocked. This is awful. She must be devestated. I didn't really have a favorite in the Ladies event, so now I hope Joannie can skate her heart out, skater for her mother and fulfill her dreams...

Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    She heard the news and then went on to a practice session??? Wow..
    what else can she do? sit in a room and allow herself to wallow is grief?

people all deal with things differently, I'm more like joannie - just get me out of that environment and let me continue on like normal, for sanity's sake.

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    I feel so terrible for Joannie.
    My condolences.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I hope everyone around Joannie shelters her this week, and that the media will not make anything tasteless and voyeuristic out of this.
    I hope so too.

Custom Title
    Firstly my thoughts and prayers go out to Joannie and her family.

I find it rather crass and in poor taste that someone would stoop to posting photos of what was supposed to be a closed pratice session. According to CTV the media were actually not allowed in to the session. Lets all have some respect.

Custom Title
    I really have no words...I'm close to joannie and her family...c'mon joannie! don't give up!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    She heard the news and then went on to a practice session??? Wow.. I'm so shocked.

Speaking from experience, the first few days after such sudden news, I was in a complete state of shock and basically on autopilot. Everyone reacts differently and it may take some time for things to completely sink in.

I saw a bit of Joannie's practice on the news this evening. She looked devastated and I wanted to cry for her. This is just so heartbreaking.

Custom Title
    Wow...that's really sad...
    No matter how she skates, choosing to stay in the competition takes serious guts and you have to commend her for that.

Custom Title
    My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to Joannie and all her family. This is such a tragedy for them all. You know, Joannie knows that skating in the Olympics isn't just about her and that it is for her country also. She is a very brave person to continue because I am sure her heart is broken. My thoughts and hopes for a wonderful skate will be with her.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by london_calling View Post
    I saw a bit of Joannie's practice on the news this evening. She looked devastated and I wanted to cry for her. This is just so heartbreaking.
    That is so sad

I can't even imagine having to skate in the olympics after losing my mother. I can't even imagine going through the motions at a practice session. I am proud of her strength and her fight, I pray that she can skate her best ever and take home the gold for her mother.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast