Thread: Questions raised over ice dance judging panel

Hybrid View

Banned

News Questions raised over ice dance judging panel

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-ska...+judging+panel

The panels drawn for the compulsory dance on Friday and for the original dance tonight favour Russian-bloc countries, international judges contacted by The Globe and Mail allege.
    Last edited by gsk8; 02-22-2010 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Too much of article copy/pasted.

Custom Title

Thumbs down

Well, I can see who will win this one. Congratulations on your gold medal, Dominina and Shabalin.

Custom Title
    The machinations have already begun, S&P all over again, have no fear Canada will take the gold in ice dance just to shut them up.

Oops, forgot Sandra Bezic & Scott Hamilton, the holes in their face will be flying nonstop like at the 2002 Olympics.

And that's JMHO.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    The machinations have already begun, S&P all over again, have no fear Canada will take the gold in ice dance just to shut them up.

Oops, forgot Sandra Bezic & Scott Hamilton, the holes in their face will be flying nonstop like at the 2002 Olympics.

And that's JMHO.
    LOL!! Just remember there's no Scotty and Sandra for ice dancing. Thank goodness!! Tracy Wilson has her biases but they aren't as blatant as Scotty and Sandra.

It's so great to see how North America media intends to continue this Cold War narrative--evil Russians vs good North Americans--into this competition. Maybe they'll stop this nonsense for the ladies' event?

Away with the ice dancing faeries Cadiva's Avatar
    It's a disgraceful piece of journalism, quoting from anonymous sources and filling it with we believe, he said/she said etc. I've been a journalist for 20 years and that wouldn't have got into our local weekly newspaper never mind a national newspaper. It's scandalous muck raking and nothing less. People seem to forget the two assistants that each judge has alongside them to check for GoE and whether the figure or jump they're performing actually conforms to the necessary technical requirements plus the fact there are nine judges in total and that it's the scores from a random five of them which make up the marks (unless they've changed it again?!)

Custom Title
    Yes, I love all these konspiracy theories (or rather hints at) regarding judging panel.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadiva View Post
    It's a disgraceful piece of journalism, quoting from anonymous sources and filling it with we believe, he said/she said etc. I've been a journalist for 20 years and that wouldn't have got into our local weekly newspaper never mind a national newspaper. It's scandalous muck raking and nothing less. People seem to forget the two assistants that each judge has alongside them to check for GoE and whether the figure or jump they're performing actually conforms to the necessary technical requirements plus the fact there are nine judges in total and that it's the scores from a random five of them which make up the marks (unless they've changed it again?!)
    To be honest, I don't believe any mainstream media have any more credibility. Being a journalist for 20years does not make you more credible than others these days, it's probably the contrary in most instances.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    , forgot Sandra Bezic & Scott Hamilton, the holes in their face will be flying nonstop like at the 2002 Olympics.
    :sheesh: Scott and Sandy don't commentate during ice dance.

Just wondering who actually makes the decisions which judges are appointed for each event.

Custom Title
    Can you imagine the uproar if US and CAN "loaned" judges to other countries, and the panel consisted of two US judges, two Canadian judges, one RUS, and 4 European (nonSSR) judges? There would be a huge outcry.

But it's OK to have a panel with 4 judges who used to judge for the former Soviet Union.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oxade21 View Post
    I am always amazed at how insecure those Cnadians are. Jesus Christ, so that's the only way you can win, by having Canadian judges on the panel?
    If Russians are so 'secure', why do they need to export their judges to those satellite countries? Why would a disgraced judge be put on the panel? Pot calling kettle. Hilarious.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by watchvancouver View Post
    If Russians are so 'secure', why do they need to export their judges to those satellite countries? Why would a disgraced judge be put on the panel? Pot calling kettle. Hilarious.
    Nobody else have qualified judges. That's why they also export their coaches because nobody has them qualified enough. And because of the help of those secure Russians who are secure enough to train competition you even can compete and write those nasty articles.
    Is that clear?

Worshipping at the temple of Severus Snape Alatariel's Avatar
    Can we at least wait to see what happens?! The CD was judged fairly and this is something everyone agrees on.

We've seen the DomShabs at Euros and unless the others bomb there is no way they can win, unless they improve which I think unlikely, with that kind of standard.

Meh, this reminds me of the whole Plushenko mess - smear the Russians way ahead of the contest so that we have a back up plan to fall on...