Olympic press conference video: Mao confident of glory over Kim | Golden Skate

Olympic press conference video: Mao confident of glory over Kim

Phoenix347

Final Flight
Video of Mao's Olympic press conference:

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-videos/%28afp%29---asada-confident-of-glory-over-kim_287634g110288-ij.html

Quote:

Japan's Mao Asada arrived in Vancouver Saturday and insisted she has the form to shatter arch-rival and reigning world champion Kim Yu-Na's dreams of Olympic gold. The 19-year-old boasted that her skating is even better than when she won the Four Continents title last month and she was planning three triple axels in her bid to stop the South Korean favourite.

miki88

Medalist
This title is so misleading. Mao didn't even mention Kim. All she said was that she was more confident about her chances and that she will give good performances.

UM84

On the Ice
I could see Mao beating Kim. This really is similar to the mens comp, Yu-na (Plushenko) the heavy favorite and Mao (Evan) the underdog who could win but nobody thinks will

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
I could see Mao beating Kim. This really is similar to the mens comp, Yu-na (Plushenko) the heavy favorite and Mao (Evan) the underdog who could win but nobody thinks will

It's a bit different, though, if you look at their programs. Mao would be Plushenko trying to unsettle everyone with her monstrous triple axels (quads for men).

Would not be surprised if Mao beat Kim.

chloepoco

Medalist
Not only is the title misleading, but using such words as "boasted". Nowhere in the interview did Mao say she was confident of beating Yuna, only that she was confident that she could perform her best. And I don't think "boasted" is the right word to use either. She merely stated that she felt good about her skating.

Ren

On the Ice
I think that the media often plays up skaters' rivalries, particularly in the case of these two. I get the impression that they're polite young ladies whose words sometimes get twisted (and their fans eat it all up). It seems to me that they're pretty respectful of each other, and whatever they REALLY think of each other's chances/skills, they keep under wraps. They're focusing right now on their own skating. All in all, class acts. It's the uber-fans that are the problem (and the media doesn't help at all).

prettykeys

Medalist
Not only is the title misleading, but using such words as "boasted". Nowhere in the interview did Mao say she was confident of beating Yuna, only that she was confident that she could perform her best. And I don't think "boasted" is the right word to use either. She merely stated that she felt good about her skating.
Nope! Mao has been a naughty little girl! BOASTING about wrenching OLYMPIC GLORY away from Kim YuNa! Karate chop! Hyaaa!

miki88

Medalist
Nope! Mao has been a naughty little girl! BOASTING about wrenching OLYMPIC GLORY away from Kim YuNa! Karate chop! Hyaaa!

Did you even watch the video? :sheesh: She didn't even mention Kim. Anyways, this is a competition, not a coronation. So why can't every skater have her own dreams?

yunasashafan

On the Ice
Did you even watch the video? :sheesh: She didn't even mention Kim. Anyways, this is a competition, not a coronation. So why can't every skater have her own dreams?

I believe prettykeys was being sarcastic

Last edited:

Lightbulb

Rinkside
come on, miki88, lighten up. you've been so focused defending other skaters that you cannot realize sarcasm at all.

miki88

Medalist
come on, miki88, lighten up. you've been so focused defending other skaters that you cannot realize sarcasm at all.

I guess I have been a little too focused since the ladies event is coming up. :eek:hwell: I can usually spot sarcasm. But this one just swooped past me. Sorry guys.

gracemao

Match Penalty
I think that the media often plays up skaters' rivalries, particularly in the case of these two. I get the impression that they're polite young ladies whose words sometimes get twisted (and their fans eat it all up). It seems to me that they're pretty respectful of each other, and whatever they REALLY think of each other's chances/skills, they keep under wraps. They're focusing right now on their own skating. All in all, class acts. It's the uber-fans that are the problem (and the media doesn't help at all).

Yuna never shows respect of her competitors. Everyone knows that. She even insulted innocent purehearted japanese girls.
Do you know what poetic justice means?

yunasashafan

On the Ice

no worries miki88, we're all on the edge of our seats :frown2:

chloepoco

Medalist
Yuna never shows respect of her competitors. Everyone knows that. She even insulted innocent purehearted japanese girls.
Do you know what poetic justice means?

Kind of puzzled as to what you're saying. Both girls, like Ren mentioned, are always respectful of each other.

The title and description of this video are beyond stupid. Mao says she has been trained hard and is confident of skating her best. No "boasting," so "shattering anyone's glory.":disagree:

janetfan

Match Penalty
The title and description of this video are beyond stupid. Mao says she has been trained hard and is confident of skating her best. No "boasting," so "shattering anyone's glory.":disagree:

ITA. That headline has to be one of the worst I have read at these Olympics.