Thread: Compulsary Dances - coming to an end?

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

Compulsary Dances - coming to an end?

The 2010 Games may be the last time Ice Dancers have to execute the compulsory ice dance portion at a competition. It's kind of sad. Of course, non figure skaters would not appreciate the conciseness of the compulsory portion and what they are about. It's pretty much the same as the figures.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    The 2010 Games may be the last time Ice Dancers have to execute the compulsory ice dance portion at a competition. It's kind of sad. Of course, non figure skaters would not appreciate the conciseness of the compulsory portion and what they are about. It's pretty much the same as the figures.
    I known this has been talked about, but has it really been serious? As of right now, won't compulories be skated at worlds? This is pretty sad, it goes to show how much of this sport revolves around TV ratings.

Custom Title
    I don't like compulsories so it won't break my heart...too repetitious....maybe they will make the OD more challenging to make up for it.

Custom Title
    They must still be skating it at Worlds this year, as a minimum, no?

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    As far as I know there will be a CD at World's ..I'm hoping it's just being dropped for Olympics , like for the GPF. I can't help feeling the sport will suffer if they're lost. I'm hoping someone else knows more about this, too.

On the Ice
    Yay! I think CDs are pretty boring and don't add much to the sport, and I'll be glad to see them go. Especially since I feel like the CD is sometimes used to prop up favorites and hold down newcomers. Or maybe it only seems that way because more experienced teams who've been around longer are better at CDs, and therefore get higher scores. But I really prefer freshness and innovation in skating over the traits that are valued in CDs.

Do you know if this decision is final? I thought it was just speculation.