Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Olympic press conference video: Mao confident of glory over Kim

Olympic press conference video: Mao confident of glory over Kim

Video of Mao's Olympic press conference:

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic...110288-ij.html

Quote:

Japan's Mao Asada arrived in Vancouver Saturday and insisted she has the form to shatter arch-rival and reigning world champion Kim Yu-Na's dreams of Olympic gold. The 19-year-old boasted that her skating is even better than when she won the Four Continents title last month and she was planning three triple axels in her bid to stop the South Korean favourite.

Mashimaro on Ice
    This title is so misleading. Mao didn't even mention Kim. All she said was that she was more confident about her chances and that she will give good performances.

Custom Title
    I could see Mao beating Kim. This really is similar to the mens comp, Yu-na (Plushenko) the heavy favorite and Mao (Evan) the underdog who could win but nobody thinks will

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by UM84 View Post
    I could see Mao beating Kim. This really is similar to the mens comp, Yu-na (Plushenko) the heavy favorite and Mao (Evan) the underdog who could win but nobody thinks will
    It's a bit different, though, if you look at their programs. Mao would be Plushenko trying to unsettle everyone with her monstrous triple axels (quads for men).

Would not be surprised if Mao beat Kim.

Custom Title
    Not only is the title misleading, but using such words as "boasted". Nowhere in the interview did Mao say she was confident of beating Yuna, only that she was confident that she could perform her best. And I don't think "boasted" is the right word to use either. She merely stated that she felt good about her skating.

Custom Title
    I think that the media often plays up skaters' rivalries, particularly in the case of these two. I get the impression that they're polite young ladies whose words sometimes get twisted (and their fans eat it all up). It seems to me that they're pretty respectful of each other, and whatever they REALLY think of each other's chances/skills, they keep under wraps. They're focusing right now on their own skating. All in all, class acts. It's the uber-fans that are the problem (and the media doesn't help at all).

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrymeyunakim View Post

Would not be surprised if Mao beat Kim.
    I would be beyond surprised.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chloepoco View Post
    Not only is the title misleading, but using such words as "boasted". Nowhere in the interview did Mao say she was confident of beating Yuna, only that she was confident that she could perform her best. And I don't think "boasted" is the right word to use either. She merely stated that she felt good about her skating.
    Nope! Mao has been a naughty little girl! BOASTING about wrenching OLYMPIC GLORY away from Kim YuNa! Karate chop! Hyaaa!

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    Nope! Mao has been a naughty little girl! BOASTING about wrenching OLYMPIC GLORY away from Kim YuNa! Karate chop! Hyaaa!
    Did you even watch the video? :sheesh: She didn't even mention Kim. Anyways, this is a competition, not a coronation. So why can't every skater have her own dreams?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Did you even watch the video? :sheesh: She didn't even mention Kim. Anyways, this is a competition, not a coronation. So why can't every skater have her own dreams?
    I believe prettykeys was being sarcastic
    Last edited by yunasashafan; 02-21-2010 at 07:49 PM.

On the Ice
    come on, miki88, lighten up. you've been so focused defending other skaters that you cannot realize sarcasm at all.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbulb View Post
    come on, miki88, lighten up. you've been so focused defending other skaters that you cannot realize sarcasm at all.
    I guess I have been a little too focused since the ladies event is coming up. I can usually spot sarcasm. But this one just swooped past me. Sorry guys.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren View Post
    I think that the media often plays up skaters' rivalries, particularly in the case of these two. I get the impression that they're polite young ladies whose words sometimes get twisted (and their fans eat it all up). It seems to me that they're pretty respectful of each other, and whatever they REALLY think of each other's chances/skills, they keep under wraps. They're focusing right now on their own skating. All in all, class acts. It's the uber-fans that are the problem (and the media doesn't help at all).
    Yuna never shows respect of her competitors. Everyone knows that. She even insulted innocent purehearted japanese girls.
    Do you know what poetic justice means?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gracemao View Post
    Yuna never shows respect of her competitors. Everyone knows that. She even insulted innocent purehearted japanese girls.
    Do you know what poetic justice means?
    I do not want to start a flamewar.. so.. whatever...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    no worries miki88, we're all on the edge of our seats :frown2:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast