Who will be the sacrificial lamb for the ladies | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who will be the sacrificial lamb for the ladies

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
We won't see a japanese sweep, and Akikko will get bumped off the podium. Mirai is next in line for lamb duties.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Mirai might be ok, the young male skaters that were good weren't completely shafted. Brezina, Kozuka, Fernandez, Amodio all got pretty good marks which were deserved, I mean, they could have easily been higher, but they weren't robbed for points I wouldn't say.

Gymfan15

On the Ice
I would think that Mirai is too much of a non-podium threat to be a sacrificial lamb, no? But maybe that's the whole thing; she COULD be an outside threat if she skated completely clean, but she won't be because of her downgrades.

Somehow when I think of "sacrificial lamb" I think of Mao Asada, but I could easily see Miki Ando get dumped in favor of Mao if her chances were good enough. I don't think there's any possible way that Joannie Rochette will be "sacrificed" for anyone; have you SEEN how the Canadians have been scored this Olympics?!?! If anything, I could see other skaters being sacrificed in favor of her, not vice versa.

miki88

Medalist
For some judges, she might have seen as having lost the momentum. The GP series followed by 4th at Worlds. Her PCS can get low not because a lot of ppl don't like her music, but also because of the reputation. She has not had good competitive reputation.

Maybe, but she has been on a upswing lately though and she has more press than Miki. And it does help to be the national champion. I guess I just don't see her as a sacrificial lamb in the same sense as Weir. I just feel that no matter what Weir does, he won't get high scores. That can be said about Akiko and probably Mirai. I don't think that goes for Mao. The reason she hasn't been getting high scores is cause she hasn't been performing well.

Last edited:

inside edge

On the Ice
i don't see johnny as a sacrificial lamb in the mens' event. I don't think his style of programs are suited to this cop judging system. Weir is a purist on the ice and his skating is very simplistically beautiful. Cop is not about purity and simplicity. It's about complexity and maximizing points with busy programs. Johnny's gold is the satisfaction of knowing he did his best at these olympics and knowing that there are many who appreciate him in this world. :)

ita!!!!!!!!!!!!!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I would think that Mirai is too much of a non-podium threat to be a sacrificial lamb, no? But maybe that's the whole thing; she COULD be an outside threat if she skated completely clean, but she won't be because of her downgrades.

Somehow when I think of "sacrificial lamb" I think of Mao Asada, but I could easily see Miki Ando get dumped in favor of Mao if her chances were good enough. I don't think there's any possible way that Joannie Rochette will be "sacrificed" for anyone; have you SEEN how the Canadians have been scored this Olympics?!?! If anything, I could see other skaters being sacrificed in favor of her, not vice versa.

I see Mirai as the Brezina of the men's event. Her scores might be a bit lower than she hopes, but a good SP and a solid LP with just a few mistakes (likely UR calls) should get her a top 10 finish. There are about 15 ladies fighting for the top 10 and I'd group them as follows:

Medal Favorites:
Kim
Asada
Ando
Rochette (before the crisis)

Skaters who could meltdown but will likely make top 10 and could potentially medal:
Rochette (post crisis and with hometown pressure)
Kostner

Skaters who should definitely make top 10 but aren't likely to medal:
Flatt
Suzuki

Skaters likely to round out top 10:
(more likely)
Lepisto
Leonova
Nagasu
Meier
(less likely)
Gedevanishvilli
Sebestyen
Korpi
Makarova

Anyone else see it this way?

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
^^ Yeah, well everyone feels bad for her obviously and won't be pressuring her to medal anymore, but they will still be very excited to watch her skate which could be nervewracking.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Joannie's situation could inspire her to skate perfectly, or make her totally bomb.. hopefully it's the first

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Nobody will be sacrificed if Yu-Na and Joannie skate clean.
They will get gold and silver/bronze. Whichever Japanese girl skates the best will be silver/bronze.

I think there won't be a sacrifice unless KYN and/or JR fall or visibly mess up but are put ahead of someone who doesn't fall. I'm thinking this will probably happen to at least one of them--everyone will go "poor baby, so much pressure" and give them a break. Who will the clean skater be that gets shafted? The Odds
Rachael 5-2
Any Japanese Skater 3-1(Could be any 2 of the 3)
Mirai 4-1
Someone else 5-1

Now go call your bookie and bet! ;0 (The smilies won't work on my computer!)

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
There is no way Rochett will be off the podium. Had you seen the men event?? P.Chan the dead eyes, managed to score 160+ with a fall on 3A and step out. If Rochett did the samething, she will still score 120+. Wheather deserve it or not is debateble.

We just have to see, with Rochett mom passing away, Ando, Asada, Kim under intense spot light, who know what will happen.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
There is no way Rochett will be off the podium. Had you seen the men event?? P.Chan the dead eyes, managed to score 160+ with a fall on 3A and step out. If Rochett did the samething, she will still score 120+. Wheather deserve it or not is debateble.

We just have to see, with Rochett mom passing away, Ando, Asada, Kim under intense spot light, who know what will happen.

Patrick didn't medal though, so it didn't really matter that his score was so high because Evan, Plush, and Lambiel got higher scores than him. Joannie might end up as low as 5th if Yuna, Miki, Mao, Carolina all go clean. I realistically think Joannie, clean or not, will finish between 2nd and 5th.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Patrick didn't medal though, so it didn't really matter that his score was so high because Evan, Plush, and Lambiel got higher scores than him. Joannie might end up as low as 5th if Yuna, Miki, Mao, Carolina all go clean. I realistically think Joannie, clean or not, will finish between 2nd and 5th.
It mattered to Weir, Kozuka, Brezina, Oda etc.. that Patrick Chan with a faulty SP, a faulty LP placed ahead of them.
What do you mean it didn't matter?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It mattered to Weir, Kozuka, Brezina, Oda etc.. that Patrick Chan with a faulty SP, a faulty LP placed ahead of them.
What do you mean it didn't matter?

Kozuka had a fall and a 2foot landing on his quad, Brezina had a fall, a pop, and singled the second jump in his planned 3-3 combination, Oda fell, lost points for randomly skating around when his lace broke, and got a 2 point deduction for fixing his lace. Johnny we agreed was the sacrificial lamb of the men's event and was underscored. Chan has good basic skating, spins, and transitions and that's likely why his score was so high. The scores for Johnny and Kozuka should have been higher but apart from that I thought the scoring was pretty fair.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Kozuka had a fall and a 2foot landing on his quad, Brezina had a fall, a pop, and singled the second jump in his planned 3-3 combination, Oda fell, lost points for randomly skating around when his lace broke, and got a 2 point deduction for fixing his lace. Johnny we agreed was the sacrificial lamb of the men's event and was underscored. Chan has good basic skating, spins, and transitions and that's likely why his score was so high. The scores for Johnny and Kozuka should have been higher but apart from that I thought the scoring was pretty fair.

You thought Chan scored a personal best was fair? Chan scored a ridiculous score in both SP and LP.
Brezina was clean in the SP, Kozuka was clean in the LP. 2foot landing on the quad is only -2GOE.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
You thought Chan scored a personal best was fair? Chan scored a ridiculous score in both SP and LP.
Brezina was clean in the SP, Kozuka was clean in the LP. 2foot landing on the quad is only -2GOE.

I thought Chan scored a season's best not a personal best. His LP score from last year's worlds was higher right? Now, do I think it's fair his score was 22 points higher than Brezina's? No. But the score was only 5 points higher than Kozuka and obviously the hometown bonus had something to do with that. Joannie didn't deserve 70 points for her SP at Skate Canada or 112 for her error-ridden FS there, but the scores were not so totally outrageous that people just excepted it. I think Chan's score should have been in the 150s range, but they gave him 160 and it still wasn't enough to medal so I just kinda accepted it and moved on.

SweetPea21307

Rinkside
Johnny was the sacrifical lamb in mens and Tanith/Ben are likely going to be the lambs for ice dance. Right now, I would says the ladies lamb is likely going to be Mirai Nagasu.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Johnny was the sacrifical lamb in mens and Tanith/Ben are likely going to be the lambs for ice dance. Right now, I would says the ladies lamb is likely going to be Mirai Nagasu.

Wait could you please explain? I thought she got dinged for URs, deservedly so. I thought of Akiko the first time I saw this thread.