Who will be the sacrificial lamb for the ladies | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Who will be the sacrificial lamb for the ladies

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Can I nominate Kostner?

Kostner will get huge scores if she is remotely clean. Last year at worlds she had a complete meltdown and still got 90 points for her FS. She will not be the sacrificial lamb. It will be Akiko because her PCS are always way too low. Rachael doesn't have the best PCS either but I think her basic skating isn't as strong as some of the top ladies so it's a little more deserved. It could be Mirai but if Mirai has two good performances and makes the top 10 I say it's a job well done for her, she's only 16 and it's her first Olympics. Sure maybe she'll finish 10th and deserve to finish 5th but as long as her scores are relatively fair and she skates well and places decently I think she will be happy, and we will be proud of her!

nipman

On the Ice
Hmm, Makarova, and Akiko/Miki. They will be underscored, no matter how clean their performances are.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
You thought Chan scored a personal best was fair? Chan scored a ridiculous score in both SP and LP.
Brezina was clean in the SP, Kozuka was clean in the LP. 2foot landing on the quad is only -2GOE.

SEason's best, and he only had one other competition - Skate Canada. He skated better at the Olympics. Ergo, a season's best is fair.

i love to skate

Medalist
Still just as good as Chan though, if not better. I guess everyone can't be "The Chosen One" sigh...

Kozuka is one of my favourites and his long program is my favourite of the year. I was at the Men's practice last Monday and Taka and Patrick were in the same group. Kozuka is very solid (he didn't miss one jump) and I so appreciate his skating but he lacks the performance levels and transitions that Patrick has. His jumps aren't as big and he isn't as fast.

Patrick is even more exceptional on the blade in person - he is also explosive and skates bigger than Kozuka. I dragged two boys with me to the practice and they were most impressed with Patrick (they know very little about skating). When Patrick's axel is on it is one of the best with the height he now gets and that great landing edge he has. He also landed a wicked triple axel - triple toe combo. Now, if he could only start landing the darn thing in compeition! :scowl:

I think Patrick was overmarked but I don't think Kozuka deserved to be ahead of him, JMO.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Still just as good as Chan though, if not better. I guess everyone can't be "The Chosen One" sigh...

Definitely better! It's the difference of being Japanese #3 as opposed to Canadian #1 that did Kozuka in. Political Cushion Scores have not been kind to Takahiko Kozuka as a result of this.

To address the original question of this thread, I think Akiko Suzuki is the most likely candidate being that she too is regarded as Japanese #3 for the ladies.

Last edited:

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Definitely better! It's the difference of being Japanese #3 as opposed to Canadian #1 that did Kozuka in. Political Cushion Scores have not been kind to Takahiko Kozuka as a result of this.

It must be so hard being Canada's number 1 with such a strong field!

:laugh:

oranges

Rinkside
I would think that Mirai is too much of a non-podium threat to be a sacrificial lamb, no? But maybe that's the whole thing; she COULD be an outside threat if she skated completely clean, but she won't be because of her downgrades.

Absolutely. When I think of "sacrificial lamb," I think of medal contenders - with Weir (at least brozne) and Belbin/Agosto were. While Nagasu, if she skates cleanly, has a good chance of being ranked high after the SP, her medal potential plummets after that. And as far as non-medal "sacrificial lambs" go, it'll be interesting to see how the judges score Flatt and Nagasu. If both of them skate cleanly, it'll be a clear message on what type of skater international judges are looking for.

For medal contenders: Suzuki could get the bronze, especially if skaters like Rochette and Asada falter. But I see her getting held out of that spot.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Johnny was it for the men, Belbin and Agosto seem to be it in Ice Dancing.

I don´t see Weir as a sacrificial lamb at all. He got exactly what he deserved, in my opinion. His couple mistakes and the 6,0 choreography are not the fault of the judges....

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Lambiel's personal best also came at these Olympics with a less than stellar skate (and with negative GOE on 5 of his jumping passes). Is that crazy Swiss politiks then?

The point was to point out to ImaginaryPogue, very appropriate name, btw, that it was Chan's personal best, not season best or 2nd skate after skate canada or whatever.
So you justified one wrong with another? So typical.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Absolutely. When I think of "sacrificial lamb," I think of medal contenders - with Weir (at least brozne) and Belbin/Agosto were. While Nagasu, if she skates cleanly, has a good chance of being ranked high after the SP, her medal potential plummets after that. And as far as non-medal "sacrificial lambs" go, it'll be interesting to see how the judges score Flatt and Nagasu. If both of them skate cleanly, it'll be a clear message on what type of skater international judges are looking for.

I still think Mirai has a very good shot at a top 10 finish here, but likely in the lower half of the top 10. IMO she's better than most of the European ladies at this event, we'll see if the judges agree. I wouldn't call Flatt or Nagasu medal contenders here, maybe an outside shot at bronze, but I think the pressure is on Kim, Asada, Ando, Rochette and maybe Kostner where she's European champ to be the medal contenders.

enlight78

Medalist
i have to agree with chan being overscored ; but it wasn't any more than a couple of points; The truth is nobody was shafted so far; If any skater from Abbott to Lambiel went which none of them did; they could have medal;( for johnny wrong edges equals not a clean skate ); B/A lost the bronze do to there low technical score; D/W was able to score about 53; BA only scored 48; those five points would have given them the bronze

BigJohn

On the Ice
I've given this some more thought an I still believe that Kostner is the logical choice as a sacrificial lamb. She looks a little bit like a lamb.

i love to skate

Medalist
The point was to point out to ImaginaryPogue, very appropriate name, btw, that it was Chan's personal best, not season best or 2nd skate after skate canada or whatever.
So you justified one wrong with another? So typical.

Well if that was your only point, you didn't need to bring in the "Canadian politiks" into the discussion. Other skaters were generously marked as well.

ETA:
I still think Mirai has a very good shot at a top 10 finish here, but likely in the lower half of the top 10. IMO she's better than most of the European ladies at this event, we'll see if the judges agree. I wouldn't call Flatt or Nagasu medal contenders here, maybe an outside shot at bronze, but I think the pressure is on Kim, Asada, Ando, Rochette and maybe Kostner where she's European champ to be the medal contenders.

I think Mirai will foresure crack the top 10 - I think probably around 6th or 7th. I watched her practice on Monday and she looked very good and solid. She was flutzing a bit and still needs to look up and project more when she skates but she was very enjoyable! I hope she skates very well - as I do for all the ladies! I think it will be a great competition! :)

Last edited: