Who will be the sacrificial lamb for the ladies | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Who will be the sacrificial lamb for the ladies

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Well if that was your only point, you didn't need to bring in the "Canadian politiks" into the discussion. Other skaters were generously marked as well.

Just because other skaters were generously marked doesn't mean there is no Canadian politik involved. What logic is that? There could be pressure from the Swiss, etc...
The ones that weren't generously marked were affected by Chan ridiculous score.

i love to skate

Medalist
Just because other skaters were generously marked doesn't mean there is no Canadian politik involved. What logic is that? There could be pressure from the Swiss, etc...
The ones that weren't generously marked were affected by Chan ridiculous score.

And they were affected by Lambiel's score as well.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Anyone else feel Mirai should have scored higher than Rachael? I suppose it doesn't really matter (less than a point) because Rachael's strength is the LP and we all expect her to finish higher overall. I think maybe Miki will be the sacrificial lamb here, or Akiko.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Anyone else feel Mirai should have scored higher than Rachael? I suppose it doesn't really matter (less than a point) because Rachael's strength is the LP and we all expect her to finish higher overall. I think maybe Miki will be the sacrificial lamb here, or Akiko.

Mirai on the international scene is always lower than Rachael for the past 2 years. Her PCS is lower because somehow it's more juniorish. The same program with Rachael even a bit shakier than Nationals would still put her in front. This is why at Nationals, it was kinda crazy to see Mirai in first after the SP.
Miki did a crazy triple lutz triple loop combo. The loop was close, just like Kim's triple toe. Her flip was also close, just like Kim's and Scott kept on going on and on about her underrotation. What a nasty bastard. Full disclosure: he's friend with Brian Orser.
Looks like the way things are going, Mary has a little Miki now.

Joannie got 71+ for that SP? WTH. Didn't anyone notice the bobble right before her combo. I got teared up at the end of her program, and would put her in the 67-68 range. Then bam, her score came up and all my good will for this girl is just gone. Canada is such a nasty host country. The score for Joannie is unacceptable.

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist
And that somehow made it ok? Was that the point? Was that your excuse?

No, what I am saying is that others were overmarked as well so you can't only single out Chan and the "Canadian politiks". You said that others were affected by Chan's overscore, well they were affected by Lambiel's too!

Trewyn

Medalist
I don't *really* feel Miki wa robbed. True; she's not in a great place right now; but she didn't skate great and her PCS were still crazy high. My feed broke during Akiko; did she actually fell or not?

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If anyone is, probably her.. I think Akiko is deservedly lower in the standings, based on her performance.

Well, the same can be said for Miki. UR and DG 3loop in combo, plus she put her foot down upon the landing resulting in -GOE and then she UR the solo 3flip, but the tech panel chose that the landing was borderline and gave her the benefit of the doubt with -GOE. Ando was not clean, so I don't see how she can be regarded as a sacrificial lamb.

It doesn't matter to me. any score with less than 1 full point, imo, is a tie.

However, given the two competitors. Has anyone checked the protocols for URs and WETs? There were no Falls.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Well, the same can be said for Miki. UR and DG 3loop in combo, plus she put her foot down upon the landing resulting in -GOE and then she UR the solo 3flip, but the tech panel chose that the landing was borderline and gave her the benefit of the doubt with -GOE. Ando was not clean, so I don't see how she can be regarded as a sacrificial lamb.

I thought Miki scored very well given her performance.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It doesn't matter to me. any score with less than 1 full point, imo, is a tie.

However, given the two competitors. Has anyone checked the protocols for URs and WETs? There were no Falls.

True, and if Rachael had done a 3-2 should would have been lower. Her 3-3, though borderline rotated, was what put her score about Mirai's so I'm ok with that. Mirai's PCS should have been higher though, but I think that was maybe partly due to her skating so early.

I'm still not convinced the top 3 will stay the top 3. I have a feeling Miki might come fighting back with a vengeance and steal the bronze away from Joannie or Mao should they falter.

I'm expecting Akiko to pull up a few slots after the LP, but at this point idk what the top 10 will look like, depends on those Euro ladies.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I don't *really* feel Miki wa robbed. True; she's not in a great place right now; but she didn't skate great and her PCS were still crazy high. My feed broke during Akiko; did she actually fell or not?

No akikko had a hand down on her first jump of the combo, so could do not do the 2 toe. she tacked it on to the loop later.

I thought Miki was given a big gift with her scores. Her 3/3 should have been downgraded and certainly her flip. There seems to have been an agreement not to downgrade anyone as to avoid a judging scandal.

figuristka

Medalist
Joannie got 71+ for that SP? WTH. Didn't anyone notice the bobble right before her combo. I got teared up at the end of her program, and would put her in the 67-68 range. Then bam, her score came up and all my good will for this girl is just gone. Canada is such a nasty host country. The score for Joannie is unacceptable.

Joannie has scored around 70 before internationally. I think its not right to call the host nation nasty. She deserved that placement and iam so proud of her.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Miki's 3z+3lo WAS downgraded, and should have been, because the loop was clearly UR. It was a huge mistake for miki to have even attempted it, as she has NEVER gotten credit for it every time she's tried it. If she had landed a clean 3z+2lo, she would have received at least 7.3 points, maybe even more with +GOE. Because of the downgrade, she received only 6.3 points. Miki also lost .6 on her flip.

There were other downgrades:
Sebestyen's 3f
Meier's 2a
Korpi's 3z
Ziegler's 3z and 1a
Postic's 3lo
McCorkell's 3z

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

I'm so pleased that despite fighting through a painful tragedy, a score three points higher than what you felt she earned was enough to remove all your good will for Joannie, who outside of skating well, had nothing to do with the scores. Seriously. BRAVO.

Flattfan, this statement is so profoundly misguided that it actually causes pain. And here's the thing - I probably would've pegged her around 69-70. But "nasty host country?" "unacceptable?" Describe Scott as a "nasty bastard?" Pathetic.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

There has been some score inflation for the Canadian skaters (certainly Chan and Dube/Davison were generously scored for their subpar performances), but Rochette's score wasn't overinflated compared to past performances (she got 70 at SC), and to the other skaters. ALL the top ladies' scores are generous. I love Rachael, but she hasn't gotten a score over 60 internationally this season, and neither has Leonova or Suzuki. Makarova's top score in the JGP was 55.

Joannie skated well in the SP and her scores were reasonable when seen in context with the other ladies. What remains to be seen is the FS scoring. If she skates her best and makes no mistakes, she could get a score over 130, and that could be fair in context with Asada and Kim's score. OTOH, she could potentially have mistakes and still score that high, out of sympathy for her loss and her courage in continuing to compete. That could be considered unfair.