Who will be the sacrificial lamb for the ladies | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Who will be the sacrificial lamb for the ladies

shine

Record Breaker
You know what, Flatt Fan? if Flatt can score 64 with her performance, I see zero problem with Joannie scoring 7 points above her. She was THAT much better.

Outside of Kim, I thought everyone looked like a little girl compared to the mature and beautiful performance Joannie gave. I love Mirai, but she has a way to go to reach the presentation level that Joannie gave.

Toby1Dawg

Rinkside
You know what, Flatt Fan? if Flatt can score 64 with her performance, I see zero problem with Joannie scoring 7 points above her. She was THAT much better.

Outside of Kim, I thought everyone looked like a little girl compared to the mature and beautiful performance Joannie gave. I love Mirai, but she has a way to go to reach the presentation level that Joannie gave.

I appreciate that Joannie, Rachael and Miki are outstanding athletes and competitors. I also like that they don't try to be graceful ballerinas out there. I would expect Joannie to skate more mature as she is a lot older than the others. I find their skating lacking that special "it" factor that Yuna, Mao and Mirai have. Mirai has speed, extension and that wow factor that audiences love and wouldn't take a snack break to miss. So I wouldn't exactly say Joannie is superior in presentation. The judges even gave Alena higher PCS than Mirai for that sloppy unrefined mess she put out there. But I will say that was the best I've seen Joannie skate (at least this season) and she deserves 3rd in SP. 70+ good......hmmmm? I'm hoping they all skate their best in the LP!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I appreciate that Joannie, Rachael and Miki are outstanding athletes and competitors. I also like that they don't try to be graceful ballerinas out there. I would expect Joannie to skate more mature as she is a lot older than the others. I find their skating lacking that special "it" factor that Yuna, Mao and Mirai have. Mirai has speed, extension and that wow factor that audiences love and wouldn't take a snack break to miss. So I wouldn't exactly say Joannie is superior in presentation. The judges even gave Alena higher PCS than Mirai for that sloppy unrefined mess she put out there. But I will say that was the best I've seen Joannie skate (at least this season) and she deserves 3rd in SP. 70+ good......hmmmm? I'm hoping they all skate their best in the LP!

Little harsh, no? I actually quite like Alena's skating, though I do think Mirai's is superior. I think had Mirai skated later her PCS would have been 2-3 points higher. She got higher PCS than Rachael at nationals and Rachael's PCS were higher here.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Reaching a stratospheric level of douchebaggery and stupidity.
On that night, that would be that performance she did. Few people in the whole world share your twisted and completely wrong appreciation of that skate.
Please do not bring Slutskaya into this discussion, one of the most overrated female skater of the last 2 decades. And comparing COP of 2006 with 2010 is pretty useless.

Quote for preservation.
Someone who doesn't agree with you is automatically twisted and completely wrong. Dear John, you are what you preached.
Slutskaya is more decorated than the current girls, enough said.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Flattfan, I'm responding to you once and then adding you to ignore.

1. The comment re: Chan you're quoting. If you had read my comments specifically, you'd have noticed I said that it was his season best score. Season's best scores are based on international competition. He had two of those this year. He skated better at the Olympics than at Skate Canada, and had a higher score. Ergo, that was the season's best score. I don't think he skated better at the Olympics than he did had Four Continents. I'm a little surprised he got a personal best at the Olympics, and no - I don't think he deserved it. That said, I should admit I was wrong - I assumed his Long Program score at 4CC 2009 was higher and erred on that. Even though I love Chan, I don't think he earned the PCS at Olympics this year (and the look on his face was sorta telling, imo).

2. The question wasn't whether or not Joannie was overscored. If you notice my post, I agree that she was - perhaps by two or three points. The question is two fold: firstly, was she specifically overscored due to hometown bias? Given the points that Flatt got away with jumps that many think were UR'ed, ditto Ando (the flip), that Kim scored 78.50, and the general trend towards higher scoring at the Olympics, I don't think she was (not to the extent that Dube/Davison were, even if I understand those scores too). Truth be told, if she has issues in the LP and the judges hold her up, I'll look at the result with mixed feelings as well. Secondly, where did your goodwill for Joannie come from? If it came from admiration of her strength in a time of grief, from competing at a time when her focus isn't there, are you really so petulant that a three point overscoring from judges who she doesn't control really enough to remove all that? Is it really enough that you name call commentators and the host country? Really - this is your attitude and behaviour? If that's the case, fine - that's you and I won't pretend to understand how one can be so petty and insensitive.

3. I'll echo shine: was Rochette's performance seven points superior to Flatt's? Absolutely. Even with the bobble heading into her combination (no, you aren't making that up - I saw it too).

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
^^ Well said. It's not really worth it to moan and groan about 2 or 3 points, especially considering all she went through. Plus if you look at the scores Yuna, Miki, and Rachael got I'd definitely say those scores for Joannie were fair. The scores for most of the ladies last night aired on the side of generous, with the exceptions being Elene G and Mirai, who were maybe a slightly underscored, but that was most likely due to skating so early and again, we're talking 2 or 3 points. So please, give poor Joannie a break, she rocked it last night and was so brave and skated with such emotion, I think that alone makes up for much more than 2 or 3 score points.

BigJohn

On the Ice
Someone who doesn't agree with you is automatically twisted and completely wrong.

Humm... In this particular case, pretty much nobody shares your views. That should tell you something.

Slutskaya is more decorated than the current girls, enough said.

Enough said? Really? Astonishing, since Slutty's career has been fairly long and that 4 out of top 6 are not even 20 yo. That's all that means. Killer argument you had there... Enough said. :biggrin:

And by the way, in many of these decorations, notably her European titles, there was a lot less depth in her era than it is these days for the current generation at 4CC, to compare apples with apples.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
All this talk of Joannie being overscored, i think personally it was Flatt that was over scored.

Yeah, but out of fairness to Rachael she did a 3-3 (even though it was borderline rotated) and Joannie didn't. I feel bad because I want to like Rachael's skating but I just prefer Mirai's so much more so I feel like I'm biased. I feel like Mirai with 3-2 should still score more than Rachael with 3-3 but maybe I am overestimating Mirai's skating and underestimating Rachael's. I just think Mirai is SO GOOD! :agree:

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
All this talk of Joannie being overscored, i think personally it was Flatt that was over scored.

So true. Flatt got away with underrotatons big time. I even turned it over to NBC instead of CTV to get an American perspective and sure enough you could clearly see the underrotations on both Flatt and Ando. Which Scott pointed out.

It was reported on CTV that Joannie does not remember the warm up and does not remember her name being called or the start of her program. It was only when she made that little bobble going into the combo that she "realized" that she was skating her program.

We are not the judges and I have been watching skating for a very long time. It is a judged sport and everyone is not going to be happy results all of the time. Get over it, move on and hope that the placements are correct based on the skating at the end of the night. Joannie skated lights out except for the little bobble. I wish her good luck. It is not going to be easy for her.