Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Kiss and Cry - is it fair to the Skaters who cry off guard.

I know I should not generalize, but I honestly witnessed with my own two eyes a hostile crowd toward Evgeni on Thursday night, the mens figure skating final, and that from the pro-Canadian crowd with which I sat. I'll never forget that, especially the young Canadian lady making the most disgusting gesture with her thumbs & fingers when his name was announced. And the hostile silence that greeted me when I yelled out "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EVGENI"!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, when I waved the Russian flag; I was the only one to do so in my section.

I do think because of the North American media's bias toward him as a Russian he may not get received very well. I'm not saying booing, but definitely nothing compared to the reception for the North American skaters. JMHO.
    I'm sorry you had this negative experience. It doesn't speak for all Canadians and I feel badly that the behaviour of some people at the event has made you feel this way about Canadians in general. I have to tell you, I was cheering for Evgeni. A lot of Canadians were. If I'd been there, I'm sure I would have yelled, "woohoo!!!!" when he came out to skate. I don't like some of the comments Plush has made but I don't consider a soundbite to be the defining of a skater's character. I don't know Evgeni personally in any way, but I know he must be terribly disappointed and, when we're upset, we all say things we shouldn't.

I would never boo any skater. I think you're right that they'll cheer louder for the North Americans, but I thinik that would have happened no matter what. In Socchi, I won't expect the Russian people to cheer just as loudly for a Canadian as they will their own skater. That's just human nature.
    Last edited by Sk8n Mama; 02-22-2010 at 01:20 PM.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I have watched many videos of Eurosport, Greek tv, Japanese, different cuts I mean, people cheered for Evgeni at the beginning and the end of program both nights, maybe it is isolated incident Nadine but Plushy was having standing ovation, at least it shows on videos. All of skaters actually got more or less cheered, I had said back in sp thread that I thought the audience was a very cool one in competitions so far.

I cheered in Europeans more for the greek ice dance couple, more than I did for Evgeni - if that is even possible

Custom Title
    I've also watched on tv and it seemed to me that people were cheering on plushenko and that there was a standing ovation at the end of his programs....
    I thought I heard some booo when the points came out, like if also the crowd had prefered him to be 1st...

Worshipping at the temple of Severus Snape Alatariel's Avatar
    We'll see what happens I suppose. Or rather read, as I never watch the Gala when it's like this. Not worth it being awake throughout the night for something like that. Hope it doesn't turn into a giant fiasco but these days nothing really surprises me.

The audience did give Plushenko a standing O after he finished his skate. Of course, that was before his comments.

However, I think that the cheering will out weigh the people who don't have 'class'. Most mothers teach their kids to not say anything if they dont' have anything nice to say.

Personally, I've never been a fan of Plushenko's skating nor his presumed arrogance on ice; however, I would never boo him - he just would get polite applause vs full enthusiasm. And, of course, I don't give all the skaters equal enthusiasm.

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    One never sees other athletes in the Olys crying publicly.
    I can't tell if you're being facetious or you've just never watched any other Olympic event.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2