The Kiss and Cry - is it fair to the Skaters who cry off guard. | Golden Skate

The Kiss and Cry - is it fair to the Skaters who cry off guard.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This has been a touchy subject for me. I particularly think back to ABC cameras intruding upon a private moment when Angela Nikodinov got very emotional backstage holding her face in tears when she learned she would not be a part of the 2002 Olympic team at Nationals or after Johnny Weir's disappointing LP at the 2007 Nationals when he broke down in tears in the kiss & cry. In the latter case, the editors of the tv broadcast had the nerve to cut right to a shot of Evan Lysacek mugging to the camera in joy over his own great performance only to try and make it look like he was ecstatic over Weir's meltdown. I think it is unfair to the athletes and lacks class on the part of the network to do that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Once again the North American media has to insult Evgeni somehow with that misleading pic, as he *did not* cry, never shed a tear despite his loss. He took it all in stride, as can be seen in the interview afterwards, he smiled & said he would accept two silver & one gold, not bad. :)

You know I honestly don't think I've ever seen Evgeni cry; get emotional, yes, but never cry.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
You know I honestly don't think I've ever seen Evgeni cry; get emotional, yes, but never cry.

Gangsters don't cry! Lol.

I think it is worse when they keep showing the skaters who have already skated backstage and thier reactions to the scores of thier competitors. Nobody is going to be happy about being beat, it just makes for an uncomfortable situation especially with sneaky editing.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I think it is worse when they keep showing the skaters who have already skated backstage and thier reactions to the scores of thier competitors. Nobody is going to be happy about being beat, it just makes for an uncomfortable situation especially with sneaky editing.

I have no problem with the K&C, especially since all of the kids know the camera is on. Like tinymavy here, it's the 'behind-the-scenes' that I wish they'd quit. Besides, who really complains about seeing someone be overcome with emotion when they have the skate of their life? I think it's sweet. I also think that skaters have to continue with the program, no matter what happens, and so they have some pent up emotion when they get off the ice. Hockey players, baskteball players, etc., just say an expletive out loud when they play goes bad and the cameras sure show that. I saw Sidney Crosby say the F-word the other day in an Olympic hockey game. Imagine if they had to keep smiling the entire game what might happen when they were done. Besides, it's not true other Olypians don't cry or show emotions like that. Remember the Italian downhiller who fell and threw her poles? Athletes are people, not automatons. They have feelings, too.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I m afraid with all this media crap that creates him like he is a monster, if evgeni will be booed in Gala, and that honestly would mean the end of fs for me. I hope audience is more clever.
People buy whatever a newspaper writes??there is some filter process alway to do.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
The challenge is that skaters are required to sit in Kill and Cry. It used to be that some skaters just left. They don't anymore. I don't know if it is an ISU rule like attending press conferences or if each country has its own rules.

I think the wise coach would train a skater that the performance is not over until they are in the privacy (sort of) of the dressing room - or, like Brian Boitano, a bathroom stall

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I m afraid with all this media crap that creates him like he is a monster, if evgeni will be booed in Gala, and that honestly would mean the end of fs for me. I hope audience is more clever.

I highly doubt that will happen Seniorita. Canadian skating fans know that, gold or not, Plush is still a giant in the sport & will show their appreciation for that.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I know I should not generalize, but I honestly witnessed with my own two eyes a hostile crowd toward Evgeni on Thursday night, the mens figure skating final, and that from the pro-Canadian crowd with which I sat. I'll never forget that, especially the young Canadian lady making the most disgusting gesture with her thumbs & fingers when his name was announced. And the hostile silence that greeted me when I yelled out "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EVGENI"!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, when I waved the Russian flag; I was the only one to do so in my section.

I do think because of the North American media's bias toward him as a Russian he may not get received very well. I'm not saying booing, but definitely nothing compared to the reception for the North American skaters. JMHO.

EDITED TO ADD: just wanted to mention, don't be fooled (as I was), what goes on these boards actually goes on in real life. They're one in the same, which shocked the heck out of me, because I didn't expect to see that in real life, but, hey, sports brings out our true selves; both good & bad.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I highly doubt that will happen Seniorita. Canadian skating fans know that, gold or not, Plush is still a giant in the sport & will show their appreciation for that.

I really think so too cause I will be very disappointed otherwise for the sport I love, I would never consider doing such reaction to any athlete.
Dont misunderstand my worry, I needed to hear your comment. I m still really puzzled with the video still that made him look like stallin in iron mask. Although I laughed at the end. Media has scary power. I should trust people more.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I really think so too cause I will be very disappointed otherwise for the sport I love, I would never consider doing such reaction to any athlete.
Dont misunderstand my worry, I needed to hear your comment. I m still really puzzled with the video still that made him look like stallin in iron mask. Although I laughed at the end. Media has scary power. I should trust people more.

Gosh, I think it'll be great to watch Plush in the gala! I'm sorry if I've ever been overly harsh on Plushenko because I was a little upset about his reaction and that so many people have been minimizing Evan's victory .... (Seniorita, you never did that and I think you've been great... showed us all some real class.) I think Plushenko had an amazing comeback and I've always said it was delightful that someone his age is still showing younger skaters how jumping should be. He'll always be one of the greats.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Well I wouldn't minimize Evans win anyway because it was irrelevant to Plush losing, although it is easy to blame someone else, cause it was harder to blame Plushy for the loss, then I read Mathman's take and I decided I wont blame anyone. First day I thought I would feel better with all the stuff going on net, facebook etc about Plush wuzrobbed, eurosport polls and all that jazz but it was worse like a thorn on the throat, I realised it was too close and if plush had won with one point margin it would have been the same outcry from the other side, as it is now about evans edge call and axel, and I dont know what else, if plush had won would he be dragged the same for pcs scores and ur and who knows what else also, so would I like it? No. Thats why I dont feel Evan win worths less.

Not that I m happy with all the newfound plush hate, but well..if Mathman survived the MK crap, i can do it too.:cool:

It's part of the game.

What I did NOT like was the cameras following Joannie onto the ice to see her weep for her mother as she practiced. :disagree:

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
People buy whatever a newspaper writes??there is some filter process alway to do.

nooo, please I don't want even to think about that possibility...couldn't be possible..

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I know I should not generalize, but I honestly witnessed with my own two eyes a hostile crowd toward Evgeni on Thursday night, the mens figure skating final, and that from the pro-Canadian crowd with which I sat. I'll never forget that, especially the young Canadian lady making the most disgusting gesture with her thumbs & fingers when his name was announced. And the hostile silence that greeted me when I yelled out "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EVGENI"!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, when I waved the Russian flag; I was the only one to do so in my section.

I do think because of the North American media's bias toward him as a Russian he may not get received very well. I'm not saying booing, but definitely nothing compared to the reception for the North American skaters. JMHO.

I'm sorry you had this negative experience. It doesn't speak for all Canadians and I feel badly that the behaviour of some people at the event has made you feel this way about Canadians in general. I have to tell you, I was cheering for Evgeni. A lot of Canadians were. If I'd been there, I'm sure I would have yelled, "woohoo!!!!" when he came out to skate. :) I don't like some of the comments Plush has made but I don't consider a soundbite to be the defining of a skater's character. I don't know Evgeni personally in any way, but I know he must be terribly disappointed and, when we're upset, we all say things we shouldn't.

I would never boo any skater. I think you're right that they'll cheer louder for the North Americans, but I thinik that would have happened no matter what. In Socchi, I won't expect the Russian people to cheer just as loudly for a Canadian as they will their own skater. That's just human nature.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I have watched many videos of Eurosport, Greek tv, Japanese, different cuts I mean, people cheered for Evgeni at the beginning and the end of program both nights, maybe it is isolated incident Nadine but Plushy was having standing ovation, at least it shows on videos. :) All of skaters actually got more or less cheered, I had said back in sp thread that I thought the audience was a very cool one in competitions so far.

I cheered in Europeans more for the greek ice dance couple, more than I did for Evgeni - if that is even possible:p

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
I've also watched on tv and it seemed to me that people were cheering on plushenko and that there was a standing ovation at the end of his programs....
I thought I heard some booo when the points came out, like if also the crowd had prefered him to be 1st...

Alatariel

On the Ice
We'll see what happens I suppose. Or rather read, as I never watch the Gala when it's like this. Not worth it being awake throughout the night for something like that. Hope it doesn't turn into a giant fiasco but these days nothing really surprises me.

heyang

Record Breaker
The audience did give Plushenko a standing O after he finished his skate. Of course, that was before his comments.

However, I think that the cheering will out weigh the people who don't have 'class'. Most mothers teach their kids to not say anything if they dont' have anything nice to say.

Personally, I've never been a fan of Plushenko's skating nor his presumed arrogance on ice; however, I would never boo him - he just would get polite applause vs full enthusiasm. And, of course, I don't give all the skaters equal enthusiasm.