View Poll Results: Men's ... The Olympic Champion of YOUR!!! heart?

Voters
499. You may not vote on this poll
  • Evan Lysacek

91 18.24%
  • Evgeny Plushenko

71 14.23%
  • Daisuke Takahashi

145 29.06%
  • Stephane Lambiel

66 13.23%
  • Patrick Chan

15 3.01%
  • Johnny Weir

81 16.23%
  • Dennis Ten

0 0%
  • Other (State!)

30 6.01%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Men's ... The Olympic Champion of YOUR!!! heart?

Custom Title
    Steph, by miles!

Custom Title
    I have to say Jeremy. I really wanted to see everyone do their very best, and it was painful to speculate what the results could have been had he skated like he did at nationals. A repeat of nationals with a quad and I can dare say he would've won this whole competition. Alas, he's never quite figured out how to compete under pressure and it's a real shame.
    Same with Daisuke; I feel like he's another skater who brings the full package but just couldn't quite deliver it when it counted.

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    Johnny for that magical LP. I would love to be able to say Stephane here, but not with that performance.

Daisuke!

Custom Title
    Johnny ! Made me tears during the performance at FP. Deep emotion with natural expression, and his beautiful flawless skating touched my heart and watched it so many times already.
    Loved his SP also, his expression was fun with beautiful detail moves.

Plushenko's FP in second ( his FP grows on me every time I watch it ) ,
    Daisuke in third.

Spending too much time at the arena CdnSkateWatcher's Avatar
    Daisuke because I felt that he was the one most likely to make figure skating appealing again, at least to me, as I'm finding the men's events less and less interesting post-Buttle and post-healthy Lambiel. I disliked Plushenko's arrogant, unfinished, and frankly sloppy performance (albeit yes, with a wonderful quad) - Weir, I will watch forever and I value his originality and personal strength and artistry, but wish he would round it out with more power and speed on the ice - Chan, I hope he grows into his abilities and has an injury-free season to show us what he can do as a man instead of as a boy - Lysacek, I just find him aesthetically unappealing, with his frantic arm waving and body nodding, herky-jerky skating and somewhat poor jump technique - Lambiel, the spins!!!! and the presentation, but, he's held back by the injuries - whereas Daisuke I can see glimmers of brilliance, passion and just simple joy in skating and ability to move the sport forward on more than one front.

Custom Title
    Wow, a lot of us sure like Dai. Slightly OT, but does he have a girlfriend or is he ignoring romance now to focus on his career? I'm not Japanese and so the fount of information that is Japanese Google is closed off to me.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
    oda had my favorite program, chan is my favorite all around skater, but lysacek, who i do not like, won it fair and square, his victory unquestionable. So lysacek it is, he skated and behaved like a true champ.
    ita

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren View Post
    Wow, a lot of us sure like Dai. Slightly OT, but does he have a girlfriend or is he ignoring romance now to focus on his career? I'm not Japanese and so the fount of information that is Japanese Google is closed off to me.
    I'm not Japanese either, but he seems to have a girlfriend. I believe he mentions her in a recent book about his life & career.

Quote Originally Posted by CdnSkateWatcher View Post
    Daisuke because I felt that he was the one most likely to make figure skating appealing again, at least to me
    That's pretty much how I feel too.

Quote Originally Posted by ilmiom View Post
    Brian Joubert. Guy who deserved it more than anyone else.
    Yeah, perhaps if he had done what he's capable of, he's the one. I didn't feel pretty convinced that Evan won. Plush has the great presence on ice. But I think that Joubert is an a lot more entertaining performer to watch. I wonder if the injury (or more like the lost training time due to the injury) affected him, as I didn't think that he was a headcase.
    I agree with someone saying that Johnny would be perfect if he had more speed.

Edgy Details
    I never thought I would say this for such 'heavily' loaded competition, but none.. None of the guys rose to the occassion, IMO.
    I hoped Lambiel would, but his programs, apart from mistakes, left me cold. I loved Abbott's programs, but the mistakes....
    Top three performances deserved their places, but they are not memorable, and none stood out.

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    Stephane. His spins are the best I've ever seen. Plus, it's lovely to see someone with such joy while performing.

On the Ice
    I would have loved to see Plushenko make history with two OG (even though he has made history already considering three olympic medals and everything else) but now that I think of it I have to admit I feel devastated for Stephane.
    There is no use of repeating that he is truly one of those skaters who always leaves his heart out on the ice. Thus I couldn't watch his expression after the lp. I would have rejoiced if he had won, even though realistically I thought it to be impossible. He deserved at least a medal (which brings us to judging again, as always ).

On the other hand Takahashi should have walked away with gold in my opinion. He had everything combined into one complete package and I admire him for going for the quad even though he must have known he was not going to land it. It was a statement which didn't go unnoticed.

Rinkside
    Daisuke or Evgeni.

Loved the fact that Daisuke actually went for the quad. Beautiful Olympic spirit. Too bad he couldn't land it. And Evgeni, well. For his beautiful quad, which I value tremendously.

Custom Title
    To me, Lysacek won over Plushenko was as unfair as Tara Lipinski won over Michelle Kwan.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 03-04-2010 at 09:59 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast