Could Jeff Buttle have won this? | Golden Skate

Could Jeff Buttle have won this?

emma

Record Breaker
I think if he skated clean, yes - but there really seemed to be very little wiggle room in this event.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
An absolute 100000000% yes! The question doesn't even need to be asked . . . Buttle's brilliance puts Lysacek to shame, IMO.

Bennett

Record Breaker
If he had two clean programs, yes. At the same time, he did only once in a blue moon (sorry Jeff, I love your skating though!).
I think it was the same for Abott, Jourbert, Dai, Plush, Tomas, Lambi, and Patrick. Koz may not have won even with two clean programs due to his PCS, neither did Johnny. Nobu might have won if he landed 4-3 because it may have boosted his PCS.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Of course Jeff would have won if he skated like he did at 2008 Worlds. It would have been close, but the judges know he's a better skater.

Patrick Chan should start using Buttle's jump layout from 2008...both of the Triple Axels in the first half of the program. Buttle rarely landed his second Triple Axel when he put it later in the program and Patrick doesn't seem to have much luck either.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Honestly the first thing to come to mind after the men's LP was Buttle. A clean skate from him definitely would have won fair and square.

christinaskater

Medalist
Jeff is a worthy Olympic champion! He has won a bronze and a world title and is satisfied but surely, had he skated there, he would have won the gold!

screech

Final Flight
Yes, 2 clean skates from Jeff woudl have won, but the thing is he woudl have had to go clean, and 2008 Worlds is the only time I can recall him ever doing a squeaky clean long program (let alone 2 clean programs at the same competition). He also didn't have the 'home olympics' pressure in 2008.

But if he had done the exact same skates, then yes, he would have won. The dodgy landing on the last triple lutz might have affected the TES, but it was right at the end and spins, footwork everything else was brilliant. Plus his PCS would have helped out too.

The only sad thing is that if Jeff won Dai would have been off the podium. But then Plush could have the full medal collection!

Audrey19

On the Ice
YES! Lysacek is nowhere near Jeff's skills and artistry. Jeff would have won big time!
(Oh how I would have loved to see this...) Of course, Plush would have complained nevertheless, as skating is only about the quad according to him.
Thank god the future of men's skating is artistic! Adam! Patrick! Michal!

amateur

Final Flight
Makes you wonder what Buttle's thoughts are, on seeing Evan Lysachek be the winner of virtually all the major titles since Buttle's win (who would have predicted that???)

Though I would speculate that he remains secure in his personal decision

amateur

Final Flight
The only sad thing is that if Jeff won Dai would have been off the podium. But then Plush could have the full medal collection!

Now now, how do we know that Buttle staying in wouldn't have intimidated Plushenko into staying retired? ;)