props in competition | Golden Skate

props in competition

treesprite

Final Flight
This Russian dance pair, who won the bronze medal, used ropes tied around them to do some of their moves. I feel like any moves they did using those ropes should not have been counted at all. I really don't think it was fair to the other skaters.

I agree. This was outright cheating. This team, their coaches and their federation should face some sort of penalty.

What's next, ropes suspended from the ceiling for them to swing on?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I can see it when it's something like what they allow for the folk dance ODs... like Tanith and Ben's hat or the hankerchiefs from a couple years ago...

haven't seen the programs from tonight (though I know the results and while I'm not pleased I'm not surprised either).

Linichuk clearly favored DomShab over TanBen and it showed in the programs she gave them and obvious politiking (and lack thereof in TanBen's case) at different competitions... so frustrating since Tanith and Ben went to her to improve (and they have) but they don't have anything to show for it other than better skating, it's almost like they're penelized for wanting to better their skating.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Davis and White had a penalty and can't figure out why. Does anyone know?

treesprite

Final Flight
For anyone who didn't see it, they literally used the ropes to hold onto each other, even using the rope as something to hold to twirl her around - I was shocked when I saw that happen.

SweetPea21307

Rinkside
This Russian dance pair, who won the bronze medal, used ropes tied around them to do some of their moves. I feel like any moves they did using those ropes should not have been counted at all. I really don't think it was fair to the other skaters.

I agree 100%. It was cheating, plain and simple. It wasn't fair to all the other skaters. Either you can do the elements on your own body-to-body like the other elite level teams or you can't and face the consequences. If they couldn't do the elements on an equal level with everyone else in the field, then they shouldn't have even been there in the first place. I think Oksana and Max should be disqualified for that. I hope there is an investigation into that. In skating, using anything but your bodies and skates should equal cheating.

I love the Russian people and culture, but I am appalled by the way the Russian figure skating delegation has been acting lately. Talk about bad sportsmanship--part of the Olympics and competition in general is about being gracious 'losers'. First Plushenko 'playfully' stepping onto the top step of the men's podium, extra costume support in the ice dance. The Russian figure skating team should be ashamed of themselves. I know they're not use to losing at figure skating at the Olympics, but that doesn't give them the excuse to be arrogant, sore losers and cheat their way onto the podiums. Maybe Michelle Kwan should go to their delegation and teach them a thing or two about accepting defeat graciously.

My heart broke for Tanith and Ben.

Last edited:

Ren

On the Ice
IIRC, the BBC commentator suggested that Davis and White probably got that deduction for a lift. So it looks like Tonichelle is right. :)

Wicked

Final Flight
I'm not a fan of props of any kind in programs, including stuff like hats and handkerchiefs. Too gimmicky for me. I also wonder why the hats don't just fly off their heads! Those ropes assisted DomShabs in doing their lifts and should never have been allowed. Tracy Wilson said she thought there would be a rule banning them before next season. I hope she's right.

treesprite

Final Flight
I probably used the wrong term - I was thinking of a prop as something that "props" something, as in provides assistance on which a person relies for support, not accessories that don't have any kind of impact on the skater's abilities. I guess I should have said something like skating aid.

Competition has become too much like an ice show. When I was younger there wre no words allowed in music and outfits were fairly simple, not these elaborate costumes that distract from the skater's actual skating.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I agree. This was outright cheating. This team, their coaches and their federation should face some sort of penalty.

What's next, ropes suspended from the ceiling for them to swing on?
But they used them also in Russian NAtionals and Europeans and there was a lot of discussion then but the truth is they consulted officials before using them and they said it was Ok and not against rules. So I dont know how this is cheating.

Technically seniorita is right. It's as if we just discovered a major loophole in the tax code. Dang those &*@*&$ skating politicians!

janetfan

Match Penalty
But they used them also in Russian NAtionals and Europeans and there was a lot of discussion then but the truth is they consulted officials before using them and they said it was Ok and not against rules. So I dont know how this is cheating.

As I recall even Tat said the ropes are NO good. What more do we need to hear?

seniorita

Record Breaker
Tat said ropes are not good in the broadcast back in Russian Nationals. After that there were articles and interviews and all that jazz, and the announcement that they have asked before using them and isu or whoever had said ok and it is inside the rules. That was even before Europeans and in Europeans there were no complains.
Search the forum, maybe the article is there. I didnt imagine it. I just said what I know. I m not usually getting things out of mouth without a reason.

janetfan

Match Penalty
i shudder to imagine the cries of outrage if a N. American team resorted to such amateurish tactics as shown by D/S.
We would never hear the end of - and deservedly so.