How many "older" skaters here? | Golden Skate

How many "older" skaters here?

treesprite

Final Flight
I'd like to know how many skaters there are here who are middle-aged or older. Also, did you older folks start skating after adulthood or before?

I myself am about to turn 48. I started skating when I was a kid, but after being away for so many years, it's like being an adult beginner except that I already know how to do things, I just have to make my body do them.

treesprite

Final Flight
I'm 53. Started at 12, quit at 15, went back at 36. Figure skating saved my life.

I felt the same way when I was a kid. In fact, enough so that by the time I was 15 all my lessons, skates, everything was paid for by babysitting money, I took a bus 3 hours each way to get to the rink & back, and made my own skating skirts (& made cash sewing them for other skaters... I was rather industrious!)

megsk8z

On the Ice
Absolutely, treesprite! And good for you. I used to have to walk a couple of miles to get to the rink and would do that almost every day.

I was a better skater at 38 than I was at 15. So there is hope.

Clarice

Rinkside
I'm turning 52, started when I was 37. This is the only sport I've ever really loved.

vlaurend

Final Flight
I'm 45 and I took my first skating lesson (group class) at 27. I think you will be surprised at what your body will be able to do on the ice after you have been exercising and stretching regularly for a few months! The key is to build up your strength and flexibility BEFORE trying all of those things you used to be able to do as a kid.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
I am 52. I skated for 4 years as a child, quit for 25 and have been back for 15 years. It is a wonderful way to stay in shape, and I am proud to say I got regular track Senior moves!

jjane45

On the Ice
I have two friends starting in 50s and both suffered ER-worthy injury.
Please, skate with caution and protective gears...

Penny

On the Ice
I'm 61. Roller skated as a child in Texas (no ice rinks back then) but couldn't afford lessons or personal skates. When I moved to New York at age 25, I took up ice skating, first group lessons, then some private lessons, and I bought a patch to practice compulsories. And yes I loved compulsories, since I wasn't athletic enough ever to do anything more than a waltz jump. Now alas, I have foot problems including bunions and can't afford the price of custom skates. I love figure skating.

I'm somewhere between 40 and death (that's a Tallulah line). ;)

What happens when you return to skating after many years after other life amusements, is that the mind knows what to do, but the body keeps saying 'forget that'. :no:

Last edited:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I'm 50 and have been skating for 6 years. Working on my Adult Silver MIF and Prelim Ice Dances. Skated as a kid (12-16), but that was so long ago. Had to learn everything again. Just glad I can still skate at my age.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Now alas, I have foot problems including bunions and can't afford the price of custom skates.
It seems all us old skaters have foot problems. My left foot is pretty bad (a big bunion), but I cushion it up so it doesn't hurt too much.
Penny- I have custom skates and my feet still hurt, all well.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Re: How many "older" skaters here? (past middle aged)

I'm 50. Learned to skate at 34 and trained intensively until age 39 in patch, free, and dance. Then a move for a new job, and then an international move sunk my training as I had little access or time for the ice. Hoping to get back to USA and start up again in the next year. Although health issues will likely keep my freestyle efforts very limited. And yes, my foot problems have multiplied exponentially even without feet being in skating boots...I think it's just part of aging. :frown:

Skatergirl22

Spectator
Re: How many "older" skaters here? (past middle aged)

Hey all I'm new to this..i started skating at 22 (hence my screename) i'm not 23 so i'm about 8 months into it and i am OBSESsed!!

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Hey all I'm new to this..i started skating at 22 (hence my screename) i'm not 23 so i'm about 8 months into it and i am OBSESsed!!

I'm with you! I started at 29, and have only been skating for four months, and love every moment.

Mel on Ice

Spectator
started at 28, and am 41 now. Working on gold moves and silver free, slight delay brought on by baby.