How many "older" skaters here? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

How many "older" skaters here?

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I have never skated. I'm 82 and am afraid now my walker would skid. ha ha I started loving to watch fs when Sonja Heine won her 2nd Olympics. I wish they would show more on tv like they used to.

Gr Granny: you are still skating in your heart....that counts as far as i am concerned. A lot of the competitions are live streamed now so you get t o see the whole thing, not just the parts that the network wants you to see. The only problem it that it is in real time so you may have to get up in the midlle of the night to account for a time zone change.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I just survived a MITF test yesterday. I will no longer make fun of Maria Butyrskaya for having stiff knees when she gets nervous--apparently, I have the same problem!

ryanbfan

On the Ice
I'm 22, officially started when I was 19 and I've been off and on. Me and my coach have been trying to work out something consistent.

I was supposed to begin testing already, but during my first month I was working on mohawks and had a nasty fall on my behind :( I broke the very upper part of my tailbone and had to take a month off.

I'm 22, officially started when I was 19 and I've been off and on. Me and my coach have been trying to work out something consistent.

I was supposed to begin testing already, but during my first month I was working on mohawks and had a nasty fall on my behind :( I broke the very upper part of my tailbone and had to take a month off.

Yeah, mohawks are good for that sort of thing, didn't break my tail bone but did relocate it a few millimeters high because of a mohawk (gory details here)

Are you back on the ice yet? Good luck with the mohawks!!!!

This week's blog

ryanbfan

On the Ice
Yeah, mohawks are good for that sort of thing, didn't break my tail bone but did relocate it a few millimeters high because of a mohawk (gory details here)

Are you back on the ice yet? Good luck with the mohawks!!!!

This week's blog

I've been back for a few months now :) No mohawks though for right now. At first when they took my X rays they thought I misaligned my tailbone and dislocated a few bones, but the final 'diagnosis' was that it was broken.

I've been back for a few months now :) No mohawks though for right now. At first when they took my X rays they thought I misaligned my tailbone and dislocated a few bones, but the final 'diagnosis' was that it was broken.

Ouch, glad you're back on the ice though, it's hard to stay away isn't?

For your reading enjoyment, this week's blog is on staying motivated and getting throughthe discouraging times.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I'm somewhere between 40 and death (that's a Tallulah line). ;)

What happens when you return to skating after many years after other life amusements, is that the mind knows what to do, but the body keeps saying 'forget that'. :no:

Agreed!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I have never skated. I'm 82 and am afraid now my walker would skid. ha ha I started loving to watch fs when Sonja Heine won her 2nd Olympics. I wish they would show more on tv like they used to.

Yes!!!!

treesprite

Final Flight
Well, it has been 2 years since I started this thread. I didn't start back to skating until a couple months ago. Seems my phobia is gone - thank goodness!

I have since back then, been told that I have the osteoporosis of a 60 - 70 yo woman (I'm 49), have moved to a new place, and was in a bad car accident a year ago that is now preventing me from turning my head far enough to see behind me when I skate backwards (no crowded sessions for me).

Last edited: