Can Mao Asada’s time have passed if it never happened? -- Hersh | Golden Skate

Can Mao Asada’s time have passed if it never happened? -- Hersh

Moxie

On the Ice
He never bothers to hide his bias, does he?
IMO he's being an ****, again. Considering that Mao's at the oh so advanced age of 19.

miki88

Medalist
What I don't understand is why he has to devote articles to saying harsh things about Mao. I can't believe he called her an "also-ran" when he just wrote a praise worthy piece on Sasha's failed attempt at making the team and bascially criticizing others ( a la Jenny Kirk) for doubting Cohen but now he does the same to Mao. I can't believe this guy is getting paid for this. :disapp:

chloepoco

Medalist
What I don't understand is why he has to devote articles to saying harsh things about Mao. I can't believe he called her an "also-ran" when he just wrote a praise worthy piece on Sasha's failed attempt at making the team and bascially criticizing others ( a la Jenny Kirk) for doubting Cohen but now he does the same to Mao. I can't believe this guy is getting paid for this. :disapp:

Exactly. Of course, if "two trick" Mao should place well, he'll probably bring up the "Japanese sponsors influencing the judging" (or whatever it was he wrote about not too long ago) again.

I hope all the ladies skate their best!!

UM84

On the Ice
What is happening to Mao is what happened to Sasha... the wrong time to arrive on the scene. Sasha was always in the shadows of Michelle and never really had the chance to be the "one" similar to how Mao has been the the shadows of Yu-na

miki88

Medalist
What is happening to Mao is what happened to Sasha... the wrong time to arrive on the scene. Sasha was always in the shadows of Michelle and never really had the chance to be the "one" similar to how Mao has been the the shadows of Yu-na

That's not really true. At first Yuna was in the shadows of Mao. Then Mao struggled while Yuna became dominant, so they switched places. It's pretty common knowledge that Mao was seen as the best skater in the world 4 years ago. Unfortuantely for Sasha, Michelle was always there so she never got to become dominant.

prettykeys

Medalist
In fairness to the *** that Hersh is, he criticized Kirk for doubting Cohen's character.

Moxie

On the Ice

IMO it's the negative articles that are easier to write and also are more "rewarding" because they attract more attention.

bekalc

Record Breaker
How is a girl who has a world title an also ran? Seriously that's one more world title than Sasha Cohen has ever had. Mao is only 19, and there's no reason the girl cannot improve. And seriously who says she won't win the Olympics. Is he trying to jinx Yu-na. I mean my gosh look at Miki Ando too everyone wrote her off after her 2006 season and she came back to win Worlds the next year and has a shot at medal here too. If Mao doesn't win or medal here, who says that she won't make some changes and come back better than ever next season. The girl is still ridiculously talented.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One thing I know is that Hersh's time as a journalist of relevance passed a LONG time ago. Why anyone puts value in what this man thinks is beyond me.

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
What a stupid article. Mao is one damn fine skater. Olympic medal be damned if she doesn't get one, because she'll still remain a tremendous talent.

Ren

On the Ice
I prefer Yu-Na to Mao, but this article is just foolish. Mao had problems this season, but it looks like she's returned to form. Both girls are great skaters, and both have the potential to be Olympic champion. Ice is slippery, who knows what might happen. Yu-Na herself acknowledged in the past how good Asada is. No one should underestimate Mao. I wish he'd waited after the competition is over before he posted such assessments.

ranjake

Final Flight
i thought she was great tonight. i DO sometimes wish she had different coaching...i think tarasova leaves a bit of mao out of the mix. hated the costume; loved the skate.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Mao proved with her SP tonight that her time isn't over... win or lose, Mao is a skater that will go down in the history books. All Hersh needs to do to see if Mao's "time has passed" is go to Japan, see her face plastered EVERYWHERE, and realize that it hasn't. On my last trip to Japan, I think I saw more endorsements for Mao than any other Japanese celebrity, including their music chart toppers Ayumi Hamasaki and Koda Kumi as well as fellow skater Miki Ando.

Not to mention one of the best things Mao does for figure skating is provide a TRUE RIVAL for Yu-Na Kim, someone that her own age and level that has competed against her since the beginning (and vice versa). These two ladies have taken the top level of ladies figure skating to a whole new stratosphere, if Mao Asada didn't against... who knows if Yu-Na Kim would be the same skater she is today (once again, the reverse is true as well). I think as far as skating history goes, when someone says the name "Yu-Na Kim" or "Mao Asada," the other's name will always come to mind as well.

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
Mao proved with her SP tonight that her time isn't over... win or lose, Mao is a skater that will go down in the history books. All Hersh needs to do to see if Mao's "time has passed" is go to Japan, see her face plastered EVERYWHERE, and realize that it hasn't. On my last trip to Japan, I think I saw more endorsements for Mao than any other Japanese celebrity, including their music chart toppers Ayumi Hamasaki and Koda Kumi as well as fellow skater Miki Ando.

Not to mention one of the best things Mao does for figure skating is provide a TRUE RIVAL for Yu-Na Kim, someone that her own age and level that has competed against her since the beginning (and vice versa). These two ladies have taken the top level of ladies figure skating to a whole new stratosphere, if Mao Asada didn't against... who knows if Yu-Na Kim would be the same skater she is today (once again, the reverse is true as well). I think as far as skating history goes, when someone says the name "Yu-Na Kim" or "Mao Asada," the other's name will always come to mind as well.

That sounds awfully like Harry Potter/Lord Voldie! LOL

But I agree.

In your face, Hersh.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
This is loads of trash journalism. No objectivity,very little based on facts. He has long ago lost credibility.Don't listen to him :disapp: